dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

EmoHobo
join:2010-07-16

EmoHobo

After the most recent windows update, InvProv error in event log.

A provider, InvProv, has been registered in the Windows Management Instrumentation namespace Root\cimv2 to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

This seems worrying, can anyone tell me what this is about, I can't find anything online and it showed up just after the most recent update on my Win7 64bit machine.

It seems another person online is having the exact same issue from around the same time, this is literally the only thing I can find online: »www.sevenforums.com/syst ··· ns.html#
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

i don't think it is anything to worry about considering that the message was from installing an update for "windows"..

i see a similar message in windows "events" when i install the drivers for my Intel network-card.. i just ignore it and move on..

EmoHobo

EmoHobo

Did you do the update, can you check to see if it's there for you, I just want a third person to verify it.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to EmoHobo

Premium Member

to EmoHobo
said by EmoHobo:

This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

That's just boilerplate. Anything running as system may cause a security violation if incorrectly written.

EmoHobo

EmoHobo

Ah thank you, but do you know what InvProv is?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Nope, but this machine doesn't yet have that update.

That warning (not error) seems to me to just be saying "hey, there's a privileged provider running, just thought you'd like to know". If it really came with Windows Update, from the people that wrote your operating system kernel, I'm pretty sure it can't be doing anything that wasn't already being done to you.

I'll check later after this system has updated.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

redwolfe_98 to EmoHobo

Premium Member

to EmoHobo
said by EmoHobo:

After the most recent windows update, InvProv error in event log

here is another thread that discusses a recent windows-update that people are seeing, which i suppose is the one that you installed:

»KB2952664 back again

i use windows xp, so i wouldn't have the same update since it is for windows 7..
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Nope, don't see that event in the application log.

Kawosa
@fidnet.com

Kawosa to EmoHobo

Anon

to EmoHobo
I've had several blue screens in the last 4 days and every time there are 2 warnings that show up in the log. Anybody have a clue on this?

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 4/7/2015 8:10:56 PM
Event ID: 63
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: SYSTEM
Computer: xxxxx-PC
Description:
A provider, InvProv, has been registered in the Windows Management Instrumentation namespace Root\cimv2 to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to EmoHobo

Premium Member

to EmoHobo
kawosa, next time you see a blue screen, make a note of the data that is showing on the screen, like maybe it will have an error-code or say something else about what the problem was..

which version of windows are you using? if you are using windows 7, i would suggest you go here for help with resolving the bluescreen problem:

»www.sevenforums.com/bsod ··· support/

p.s. if you have made any changes to your computer recently, that might be causing the problem..

if you have installed any "strange, mysterious updates for windows" recently, one of those could be causing the problem..

like the person who started this thread, some people have mentioned getting a couple of different "strange, mysterious updates for windows", recently.. unfortunately, in many of those cases, they don't say what the KB numbers were for those updates, so we don't know what they were.. regardless, if you have installed any "strange, mysterious updates for windows" recently, you could try uninstalling them and see of that resolves the problem with the bluescreens..