uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

AutoTune to HD

Was curious with the quantum boxes, now that they have autotune to HD, can you schedule a recording for any channel and will it record in HD if you have autotune enabled? That is, if I were to record a program on Food network but have it set to the channel that is the "SD" channel, will it automatically record on the HD feed of the channel?
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

I can answer this, actually. I have autotune turned on, and I scheduled the recording of a movie on Epix. I THOUGHT I picked the HD channel and yet when I watched the recording and thought 'wow, that looks like crap' I hit the info button and saw that it recorded against the SD channel instead. I set up the recording by doing a search, and recording from there. And I must have accidentally picked the SD version of the channel. So, from that direction it will let you record the SD channel. I don't know what happens if you record directly off the guide.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I imagine the same thing would happen. If you are scheduling a recording from the SD channel in the guide, that's what it will record because there are people who might want to record the SD channel for various reasons.
matcarl

matcarl to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL
I don't think the Quantum boxes will respond differently than the legacy boxes in this respect. My wife schedules shows from the SD channel in the guide sometimes so she can watch it on an SD box we have. It doesn't record the HD version of it.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by matcarl:

I don't think the Quantum boxes will respond differently than the legacy boxes in this respect. My wife schedules shows from the SD channel in the guide sometimes so she can watch it on an SD box we have. It doesn't record the HD version of it.

WHy does it need to be an SD recording to watch on the SD box?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

An HD recording will not work on an SD box. You get a message saying this recording cannot be played back.
marc3565
join:2009-10-08

marc3565 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
also you can opt for SD for space concerns. We have about 70 episodes of a show my GF likes in SD. If we had done them in HD the DVR would have filled up long ago