spc
Search similar:

uniqs

WMC_Geek
join:2015-03-25
Clive, IA

WMC_Geek

[IA] Windows Media Center No Channels

I have multiple WMC's in my home and have been very happy w/ them and MediaComs support of those systems.

However, over the last two weeks I'm been trying to get a new system to identify and find Mediacom channels correctly.

Before: You could scan for channels and it would find them all. You did have to change the guide listings but it worked well and the channels showed up.

Now: Only finds one channel, You have to use a separate tool to find what the actual channel #'s are. i.e. 86.5 is actually WHO-HD (Can't remember actual #). So, you have to add each 256 bit channel one-by-one. And, best part. Those channels show up on 86.5 (what ever it is) not 13.1 like it should.

Mediacom, what changed? Why don't your channels appear like they used to? Are you masking your channels so WMC users have a much harder time to use their hardware?

Please Advise. Thank you.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I haven't heard any changes that we made that would change the setup for WMC at this point. I will ask around and see what we can find out and when I hear back I'll let you know WMC_Geek See Profile

WMC_Geek
Clive, IA

WMC_Geek

Appreciate it thanks

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

WMC_Geek See Profile, can you send me your telephone# or MAC address so I can escalate your account as an example?
DoctorX
join:2010-08-01

DoctorX to WMC_Geek

to WMC_Geek
are you using hd home run? or prime? update your firmware.... this is a known issue.
blackangel13
join:2010-09-25
Grimes, IA

blackangel13 to WMC_Geek

to WMC_Geek
i ran into this same thing a few weeks ago. i had to redo one of my PCs and when scanning for channels it was only finding one channel. I could never find a solution so i just ended up manually adding the handful of channels i wanted on that PC

i am using an HDHomeRun and at the time i did upgrade it to the latest beta that was available and it didn't fix anything. of course that was several weeks ago and i haven't touched it since so there may be a new update out now.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned) to WMC_Geek

to WMC_Geek
That's exactly how you set up Windows 7 Media Center, you have to manually add each channel. The only way for correct channel numbers to show up is if you use Cablecard.

WMC_Geek
Clive, IA

WMC_Geek to MediacomChad

to MediacomChad
I will im you my phone
WMC_Geek

WMC_Geek to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy
Within the last four months something has definitely changed. I used to be able to just scan for channels and it found them all. You did have to modify the guide to satellite but that wasn't a big deal.

Now, you have to manually enter each 256 bit channel and they don't appear on the MediaCom channel.
WMC_Geek

WMC_Geek to DoctorX

to DoctorX
I am using Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2255

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Thanks for sending the phone number over, WMC_Geek. I have contacted the head end tech about this and will update you as he gets back to me.
OldCableGuy (banned)

OldCableGuy (banned) to WMC_Geek

to WMC_Geek
That's the way it's always been had to enter each QAM256 channel by hand. 75-1 then go find it in the listings to associate it with the network. Mediacom made sure to make it very hard to set up to pressure people into getting cable cards or DCTs

Maybe you had a cable card before and removed it?

WMC_Geek
Clive, IA

WMC_Geek

No, I've had 5 media pcs for years they all scanned and found channels no problem. This is a new issue. No I've never had cable cards.
OldCableGuy (banned)

OldCableGuy (banned)

Huh it's never worked for me, and I've used from XP MCE to 7 Media Center. Lots of tricks to editing the lineup directly and there are tons of tools to edit the mapping directly, so I imagine that it's pretty common where it doesn't pick up the guide data.

Hope you figure it out

EDIT: Hauppauge even has a FAQ on editing the channels when MC it doesn't find any: (#1 on their FAQ)

»hauppauge.lightpath.net/ ··· ping.pdf

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to WMC_Geek

Premium Member

to WMC_Geek
WMC_Geek, I have some additional questions for you from the headend technician. I'll PM those over now.