Search similar:

uniqs
wcryan
join:2012-03-25
Escondido, CA

wcryan

New FiOS customer

Getting FiOS installed on the 27th, just had a couple questions

Do I really need to rent a router from them or can I just go buy my own? Was looking at some videos and saw that the optical cable from the ONT needs to go through the router. Is that needed for TV?

Is there anything else that can help me save some money from them?

Also any other suggestions on personal experiences

Thanks,
Ryan
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

1 recommendation

McBane

If you have TV yes you'll need your router. There are ways around using their router though, but they have their pros and cons. See: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Saving money you're pretty much at the mercy of their proposed pricing. As a new customer you'll get the best deal, but don't expect to get it again when you renew. Some put up a fight and get their new customer deals renewed, a good majority don't.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

1 recommendation

fcfc2 to wcryan

to wcryan
Hi, Sounds like you are getting TV and you will be using Verizon boxes. If that is the case, the best/ cheapest thing you can do is buy an Actiontec Rev I off of ebay. They are usually in the $60-70 range, but the payback is less than a year. The standard install for up to the 75/75 tier is coax to the Verizon router. If you are going 150/150 and up, the standard install requires ethernet from the ONT to the router. You may use your own router with the Verizon unit but you can't get rid of the Verizon router if you have their TV boxes.
The optical cable stops at the ONT, from there you have coax for TV, or coax or ethernet for the internet. The only real way to save on the TV equipment is to use a cablecard with your own equipment.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

1 recommendation

gs0b

Like fcf2 and McBane said, it's really a good idea to have a Verizon router when Verizon set-top-boxes are used. I've seen posts from people who try to use only a non-Verizon router with Verizon STBs, and it's always a complicated setup that few, if any, get working.

The Verizon routers are decent devices, so you have to consider if you really want to put in the time to try to make TV work without a Verizon router.

You can buy a new Actiontec Rev I. for $75 + S&H direct from Verizon here:
»www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

The Actiontec rev I. is a decent router for most users. It's an 802.11n single band device with GigE ports.

The new Quantum router is an 802.11ac dual-band router. It's an excellent device. The Verizon list price is $199, although I don't think it's worth this price when compared to similarly priced routers. You may be able to get a discount from Verizon based on the services you order.

Good Luck.
wcryan
Escondido, CA

wcryan

ok, so if I get my install and verizon brings their own router in 2 days for install. Can I cancel the rental fee from the verizon router when mine arrives from ebay? (pending where I order it from)
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

said by wcryan:

ok, so if I get my install and verizon brings their own router in 2 days for install. Can I cancel the rental fee from the verizon router when mine arrives from ebay? (pending where I order it from)

I have done this same thing.. I did it all online via the fios website to remove the fee. I then just shipped the router back to them.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b to wcryan

to wcryan
said by wcryan:

Can I cancel the rental fee from the verizon router when mine arrives from ebay?

Be careful what you pay on Ebay. $75 is the cost of a brand new, warranted router direct from Verizon. UPS ground shipping is $5.99. Tax is extra based on where you live.

Only you can decide how much of a premium a warranted unit direct from Verizon is worth to you, but it appears to me that many Actiontec buyers on eBay have no idea about the $75.00 direct from Verizon price.

Good Luck.
wcryan
Escondido, CA

wcryan

I see a quantam gateway router, the all black one on craigslist for $80. pending it works that is probably the better way to go correct?

Im scared of that router because people seem to think they are the beta testers for that model and that the firmware updates for that unit suck (so ive read)

Vztechjoe
@optonline.net

Vztechjoe to wcryan

Anon

to wcryan
You can tell the installer that you would rather purchase the router when he is there for the install. We have an option on our tablets that allow us to modify your order. Instead of renting the router for 6.99 a month, it will be a one time charge of $99 and you own a brand new router without shipping hassles. If you decide to buy, make sure tech gives you a brand new and not a refurb. Check the router box. Even if it's sealed make sure there is NOT a round green sticker with QC written in black. That stands for Quality Control and is not new.
praetoralpha
join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA

praetoralpha to wcryan

to wcryan
said by wcryan:

Do I really need to rent a router from them or can I just go buy my own?

I have FIOS internet only, and I have never paid a rental fee of any kind for any equipment. But you're not in my area and looks like you're getting TV, so YMMV.
wcryan
Escondido, CA

wcryan

Thanks for all your helps guys

Anyone local to socal? Any major problems with ur FiOS in the past?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I'm in Long Beach and have FiOS for over seven years. The Internet service has been terrific -- one speed problem in seven years (a problem at the local CO/area) that was solve quickly via DSLR's Verizon Direct forum.