Search similar:

uniqs
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Will the Heinz-Kraft merger lead to job cuts in Canada?

A merger between H.J. Heinz Co. and Kraft Foods is expected to generate about $1.5 billion in cost savings, but the companies say it’s too early to say whether they will shutter any of their Canadian operations....

Kraft has three distribution centres and two manufacturing and processing facilities in Canada, according to a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The company has around 2,000 Canadian employees....

Heinz’s Canadian operations are based in Toronto and St. Mary’s, Ontario. Heinz also has a small office in Leamington, Ontario.

»business.financialpost.c ··· -canada/

I hope it does not lead to job cuts, but these big mergers almost never have happy endings.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000

Premium Member

Company mergers have always lead to job cuts. So yes, expect job cuts.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I hope it does not lead to job cuts, but these big mergers almost never have happy endings.

They do for the share holders and executives.

I suspect it will, the merger will lead to redundancies, and overlap they may even drop a product or two or more depending how the company is reorganized and facilities are closed down to improve profitability.

Heinz seems like its been in retrograde for sometime, I use to buy more of their products (vegetable cocktail, tomato soup, other sauces) but they stopped making them, as for their ketchup, the product they are most notable for, well it ranks lowest compared to other brands. I have nothing positive to say about Kraft products, their peanut butter is both too salty and sweet (yet low in peanut taste), KD is about as nutritional as eating foam packing peanuts, their salad dressing has become smaller and exponentially more expensive (and again with less taste). Overall both companies seem to be working hard to make their products either obsolete or inedible so merging them probably is a good move.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

as for their ketchup, the product they are most notable for, well it ranks lowest compared to other brands.

Surely you jest. Or suffer from a perpetual cold.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
the new Farm Boy stores in London seem to have a lot of "homemade" products, locally made (likely from lots of locally grown ingredients if possible) at fairly reasonable prices...one thing i always have a tough time with is sausages...i like having them in my pasta, but they are often full of nitrates and massive sodium levels so i don't buy them...theirs are delicious and only about 400 mg per sausage.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
UK taste off :
»www.dailymail.co.uk/news ··· sts.html

CBC did a similar test for one of their consumer shows a few years back but I can't find it on the web.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

We get Americans who come here to buy cases of Heinz ketchup to take home due to regional differences. If you're going by a UK survey as an indicator for the Canadian product, you're comparing apples to oranges. I await the supposed Canadian version.

Supermarket brand ketchup is garbage.
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
From a former Heinz worker who has first hand experience with 3 G Capital and Warren Buffet this isn't going to be pretty for a lot of Kraft employees.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
As a former resident of Pittsburgh, I will defend the honor and taste of Heinz Ketchup.

Taste tests done in England have problems because of the extensive dental issues of the population. It screws up their sense of taste and smell.

Seriously, Heinz is known for the spices in their ketchup, whereas the British are known for their bland tastes in food.

Here is a taste test where Heinz did well.
»www.seriouseats.com/2012 ··· hup.html

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Actually I imagine that Heinz does fairly bad on UK taste tests because of the extensive types of sauce that they have there. They heap gobs of stuff on food there we would never think of eating here, and "bland" is the last word I'd use to describe them haha.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
If I can find it I will post it, it was just a little blind test done with a bunch of kids for one of the consumer shows, I don't recall which one, likely CTV or CBC did it and it was a few years back.

Now that Heinz has closed their plant, I have no idea how or were they are making their stuff, its quite possible they have contracted a competing company just to supply the Canadian market.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I haven't noticed any significant difference in taste, so whatever they're doing is the same as the previous Leamington recipe.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

1 recommendation

WNGFAN 1 to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

If I can find it I will post it, it was just a little blind test done with a bunch of kids for one of the consumer shows, I don't recall which one, likely CTV or CBC did it and it was a few years back.

Now that Heinz has closed their plant, I have no idea how or were they are making their stuff, its quite possible they have contracted a competing company just to supply the Canadian market.

They make all Canadian ketchup in an Ohio plant and a plant in Iowa.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
You know I wonder if they are in fact still making it there, the plant was taken over by a new owner, its a company that offers manufacturing and packaging (bottles, cans and jars). Story about them and note the brand name of the can in his hand: »www.cbc.ca/news/canada/w ··· .2792851

By law Tomato Juice sold in Canada must be made out of tomatoes, in the US they can use tomato paste and dilute it with water. As Heinz still wants to sell its brand of juice up here they had to have it made for them, ironically at its old factor.
Thane_Bitter

Thane_Bitter to WNGFAN 1

Premium Member

to WNGFAN 1
Ok then its just the Juice they are sub-contracting out for the Canadian market.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
»www.highburycorp.com/

New owners of former Heinz plant makes Tomato Juice along with beans, canned pastas and infant cereal in pouches for Heinz. Starting to run chili sauce also.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Current currency differences(and NAFTA) would actually make it advantageous for them to produce in Canada and ship stateside.

Now if they were paying a Canadian employee ~20% more per hour then a US employee in production then it wouldn't make all that much sense.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I haven't noticed any significant difference in taste, so whatever they're doing is the same as the previous Leamington recipe.

Canadian ketchup from Leamington was made with fresh tomatoes. The US stuff is made with tomato paste. The US stuff had a darker colour. Not sure if they're making a special blend for the Canadian market now.
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1

said by HeadSpinning:

said by Gone:

Canadian ketchup from Leamington was made with fresh tomatoes. The US stuff is made with tomato paste. The US stuff had a darker colour. Not sure if they're making a special blend for the Canadian market now.

Canadian ketchup from Leamington was made year round. In tomato season they would use fresh tomatoes but they would use paste the rest of the year. US ketchup has a lot more sugar and salt added and less tomato(paste) then Canadian recipe.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Thanks, interesting!
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to WNGFAN 1

to WNGFAN 1
said by WNGFAN 1:

Canadian ketchup from Leamington was made year round. In tomato season they would use fresh tomatoes but they would use paste the rest of the year. US ketchup has a lot more sugar and salt added and less tomato(paste) then Canadian recipe.

Hmm. I guess I was told a different story at the meeting I attended, or misunderstood what they were telling me. The bottom line was that the US Ketchup had a lot more paste content than the Canadian, which had more fresh tomatoes, and that was the reason for the taste difference.

Now that California is in drought, I wonder what happened to the price of paste from there...
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

When we were in Florida last week my kids noted the ketchup there tasted very different than what we have in Canada. It was definitely sweeter.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by mr weather:

When we were in Florida last week my kids noted the ketchup there tasted very different than what we have in Canada. It was definitely sweeter.

Yup. That's why Americans buy it by the case from Sobeys here in Fort Erie.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
I only use Heinz ketchup and eat Kraft Cheese. As long as they don't mess with those two products.

Its inevitable that major Companies eventually merge. Its either that or some will die.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Heinz ketchup is the greatest condiment in existence

their horrible tartar sauce is horrible and delicious all at the same time too

both are great with kraft dinner (just not together)

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I hate Heinz tartar sauce. Kraft is much better.

I wonder which one they'll keep?
WNGFAN 1
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

Now that California is in drought, I wonder what happened to the price of paste from there...

Rumour has it that a lot more tomatoes have been contracted out this year for tomato paste in Essex-Kent counties.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

we, and a few others i know, lost our tomato plants last year to Tomato Blight...although, i would imagine a greenhouse/farm would likely have a system to prevent/minimize such a loss.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

maybe they'll just mix them together....

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by Tikker_LoS:

said by Gone:

maybe they'll just mix them together....

>_>, it doesn't work that way.

They are going to see which one has higher year to year sales and likely keep the highest selling one unchanged, unless for some reason they need to keep both brands going.