spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jay8287
@comcast.net

Jay8287

Anon

[Comcast Equip] X1 service - box connection question

I have a unique situation. I get free wireless/wired Internet (50 mbps) from my townhouse complex, but no free TV. I have 5 rooms spanning the length of the building. It appears that in order to get X1, I need to get a Double Play, which is fine (and cheaper than just Comcast TV). I have 4 TVs but one or two of the X1 boxes will be a long distance from the Comcast router. Can I connect these two X1 boxes via my other fiber Internet provider, or must all the X1 boxes in the house be on the same wireless network?
Jay8287

Jay8287

Anon

Another question ... are the X1 boxes even connected to any wireless network, or do you just plug the coax cable into the back, and they communicate directly with comcast? Thanks.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Jay8287

MVM

to Jay8287
said by Jay8287 :

I have a unique situation. I get free wireless/wired Internet (50 mbps) from my townhouse complex, but no free TV.

I have 4 TVs but one or two of the X1 boxes will be a long distance from the Comcast router. Can I connect these two X1 boxes via my other fiber Internet provider, or must all the X1 boxes in the house be on the same wireless network?

Another question ... are the X1 boxes even connected to any wireless network, or do you just plug the coax cable into the back, and they communicate directly with comcast?

Currently, Comcast's X1 boxes connect to Comcast and communicate with each other only over coax.

The X1 DVR/hub (XG1) connects to Comcast via a built-in cable modem and the box-to-box communication is via a MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) network over their inter-connected coax cabling. See: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu ··· Alliance

The X1 platform does not use a wireless network, though the upcoming, next-generation X1 boxes (XG2 and Xi4) are Wi-Fi equipped, which may provide the capability of having wireless companion/client boxes at some future time.

Jay8287
@internetaccess.com

Jay8287

Anon

Thank you for the information, very helpful.

Another thing is that I would like to have 2 DVRs set up in such a way that their recordings are independent of each other and not able to be seen by the other DVR. The kids would essentially have their own DVR for their reality shows, and I would have one for my shows. I would think that this could be accomplished by setting up one DVR and one X1 box on one MoCA, then another DVR and another X1 box on another MoCA ... basically, two separate networks that don't talk to each other. Anyone know if this is possible.

If not, how would someone set up a house where 2 DVRs don't see each others recordings?

Thanks.
said by telcodad:

Currently, Comcast's X1 boxes connect to Comcast and communicate with each other only over coax.

The X1 DVR/hub (XG1) connects to Comcast via a built-in cable modem and the box-to-box communication is via a MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) network over their inter-connected coax cabling. See: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu ··· Alliance

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Jay8287 :

Another thing is that I would like to have 2 DVRs set up in such a way that their recordings are independent of each other and not able to be seen by the other DVR. The kids would essentially have their own DVR for their reality shows, and I would have one for my shows.

I would think that this could be accomplished by setting up one DVR and one X1 box on one MoCA, then another DVR and another X1 box on another MoCA ... basically, two separate networks that don't talk to each other. Anyone know if this is possible?

If not, how would someone set up a house where 2 DVRs don't see each others recordings?

While there was a time that you could totally isolate two X1 DVRs in a home that way using MoCA filters, the combination of two recent X1 platform "enhancements" - "X1 DVR with cloud technology" and "Whole Home Scheduling" - now ends up linking/pooling all X1 DVRs on an account together "in the cloud" and that no longer works now.

See:

X1 DVR with cloud technology on the TV
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· /2019841

Whole home scheduling for multiple DVRs.
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· 1#M40275

Re: Unlink Two X1 DVRs
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1 ··· 6#M62490
said by RickGr4 :
If you have two X1 DVRs in your house, both of them will "see" the recordings and recording schedule of both machines. At this point, nothing can be done to "hide" them from each other. In their current form, multiple X1 DVRs in the same house are going to "pool."

You can use strategically placed MoCA filters to prevent the actual playback of recordings across multiple DVRs. But the DVRs will not be "hidden" from each other.

PaulGo
join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

PaulGo to Jay8287

to Jay8287
I believe you can use parental controls to filter out any programs that would not be appropriate for your kids.