All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Cubbies
join:2009-12-11

Cubbies

SDI BNC Connectors

Hello, I'm running new hd projectors. I decides to buy Gepco vsd2001 for the coax. Here is my dilemma, I come from the CATV world an anything crimped is a big no no.

Everybody recommends kings bnc connectors which are crimp. Is there a reason why people don't use compression bnc connectors for sdi?

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

ArthurS

Premium Member

Often when you're dealing with high end coax cable, the BNC connectors are manufactured specifically for the cable to minimize any loss. I know with HD-SDI and the high bandwidth involved with uncompressed HD video, you need to take extra care in terminating the cable ends, and test the cable with a scope. Perhaps not quite as critical with SDI video signals.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Cubbies

Premium Member

to Cubbies
said by Cubbies:

I come from the CATV world an anything crimped is a big no no.

I don't know who told you that, but there's nothing wrong at all with crimped connectors when installed properly and crimped using the proper good quality crimp tool. Perhaps that "advice" stems from the fact that many CATV installers use poor quality connectors, the wrong connectors, and/or the wrong or poor quality crimp tool. I can say I've seen many poorly installed crimp type F connectors. Compression connectors are somewhat more foolproof and quicker to install.

Clamp type connectors are also fine but require more care when preparing the coax and assembling the connector.

Outside of the CATV world, crimp type and clamp type connectors are the most frequently used, and I've used both crimp and clamp connectors for applications well over 1GHz and in some cases power levels around the kilowatt range.

Compression connectors are actually somewhat of a rare beast outside of the CATV industry. They do exist, but aren't used as much.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2 to Cubbies

to Cubbies
I just finished doing this yesterday believe it or not. I picked up compression bnc's but they ended up being super cheap sadly. I ended up picking up some F to BNC screw on adapters. So I would say make sure you get verified quality fittings. I've got PPC EX6XL F connector compression fittings so that's the way I'd go moving forward.

I'm trying to get a refund for what I bought, I'll pickup these going forward PPC EXM-BNC