Search similar:

uniqs
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned) to Boooost

to Boooost

Re: [Lighting] LED Nightlights

said by Boooost :

A 4 Watt bulb costs less than 50c/month to run, so I wonder where the savings comes from with LED nightlights. I guess in not having to replace the bulb at 50c each. Replace a bulb twice a year and the grand total is $7/year. Eh. I'm not broke over $7/year.

There's tons of considerations most people just don't understand unless it affects them. What if you have young kids who might touch the HOT 4 watt incandescent bulb? Not to mention the heat slowly burning the shield or the dangers if they break an incandescent vs an LED bulb. What if you prefer the color spectrum of the LED over the incandescent? What if LED bulbs are subsidized in your state so that the ROI is better for LED then incandescent? What's your time worth when your wife or kid wakes you up at 3am because the nightlight is out and wants you to change it? What if you have a whole house generator and want to keep your footprint as small as possible? I'm just scratching the surface on things.
Expand your moderator at work

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Msradell

MVM

to Msradell

Re: [Lighting] Re: LED Nightlights

Trying a couple of those from amazon, looks like they are what I need thanks

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to StephenRC

Premium Member

to StephenRC

said by StephenRC:

If the outlet isn't a GFCI, get a snappower night light. »www.snappower.com
I have them and they work great.

I've seen it advertised before, actually saw the kick starter when they were first trying to get started. I really wonder about the safety of them since the only way to get power through spring contact with the terminals on the sides of the original receptacle. I don't see where they are UL tested/accepted either so that certainly makes me wonder about them. How long have you have them, have you had any problems with them?
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned)

said by Msradell:

said by StephenRC:

If the outlet isn't a GFCI, get a snappower night light. »www.snappower.com
I have them and they work great.

I've seen it advertised before, actually saw the kick starter when they were first trying to get started. I really wonder about the safety of them since the only way to get power through spring contact with the terminals on the sides of the original receptacle. I don't see where they are UL tested/accepted either so that certainly makes me wonder about them. How long have you have them, have you had any problems with them?

"Are the Guidelights UL approved? Yes, they are approved in the U.S. and Canada."
»www.snappower.com/faqs/

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired

I see this thread has drifted.

Similar treatment as PSwired. They just gave me a two pack and didn't even want the old ones back.

I opened a bad one at work today, and it appeared to be cold solder joints. I wiggled the plugs and got it working. So, I might reflow the few connections.
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by jrs8084:

I see this thread has drifted.

Similar treatment as PSwired. They just gave me a two pack and didn't even want the old ones back.

I opened a bad one at work today, and it appeared to be cold solder joints. I wiggled the plugs and got it working. So, I might reflow the few connections.

Good to hear you got it taken care of!

Anything with the word "LED" tends to drift as certain users just can't help themselves.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC to Msradell

to Msradell

said by Msradell:

How long have you have them, have you had any problems with them?

Got the Snappower covers from the Kickstarter and they've been working fine.

It's very hard to zap yourself when installing them.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

My whole house is decora style, so no Snappower for me.
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee

said by garys_2k:

My whole house is decora style, so no Snappower for me.

Why? They sell deco ones.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to jrs8084

Premium Member

to jrs8084
I have four of these in my house:

»www.walmart.com/ip/17279112

Going strong for two years so far. It was an impulse buy and the price was right.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Onemeg

MVM

to Onemeg
I went through 2 of those. Fantastic from a function point of view, but sucking from a quality point of view.
The first one, 2 of the 3 LEDs on top failed about 1 year in.
HH gave me a replacement, but it was defective - the folding plug made intermittent contact.

I gave it up and went with a different brand plug-in power failure light that doesn't have a photocell.

enon
@t-mobile.com

1 recommendation

enon to nunya

Anon

to nunya

said by nunya:

I have yet to see a quality product product from China.

You've never seen an iPhone?

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

I have yet to see a quality product product from China.

So, my friend, how many items in your house or work space have you purchased from a store in China?
Or, as in my case, purchased there for selling here, as is my small business?

Please don't become angry or upset. This is a valid question.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Why would I? That makes no sense to even ask 99.9% of the U.S. population. What I do know is the stuff I purchase here in the United States (where I live and do business). And when that stuff is made in China, it's junk.

As for the iPhone question, that's a pretty poor item to pick to tout quality. I've owned two (5 counting replacements). Both had failed batteries within a year. One had a screen failure within a week purchase. And don't try to blame me. I take care of my stuff. The only saving grace for Apple was their willingness to replace the defective phones.
Critsmcgee

Critsmcgee to jrs8084

to jrs8084

The reality is manufacturing isn't as good these days as decades ago period. Made in America doesn't mean as much as it use too. It doesn't mean the quality is any better. It might be better but you can't assume. Even when they say "Made in the USA" they can contain foreign parts so it might not be 100% "Made in the USA". I'm all for American made stuff as much as the next person but the fact is price drives quality these days. We want stuff cheaper in price so quality takes a hit no matter where it's manufactured.

Has anyone went to the dentist lately? Get any dental work done like a crown? Most dentists send cases to China now. Yup that crown, partial, denture, etc. in your mouth was most likely made in China!

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

said by nunya:

That makes no sense to even ask 99.9% of the U.S. population.

Well, you're correct. It didn't make sense to ask you this because I already knew the answer.

Yesterday, the ball and chain returned from her hometown (JiangJin, China). »flightaware.com/live/fli ··· t/CHH497
My turn to travel there alone will happen this summer. It would please me to bring you something back from there. A knife for the kitchen perhaps? Or, maybe you could use a disposable lighter of which is refillable? How about a nice garment belt? I will be mounting the new curtains she had custom made for my daughter's bedroom this afternoon.
Really - think of something that isn't too heavy or expensive, and I will buy it for you. My treat.

In a nutshell, what they produce for export is of the lowest quality - however, what they design and produce for themselves in superb.
I trust the Chinese workers much, much more than I trust the clock-watchers here.
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

1 recommendation

tomupnorth to jrs8084

to jrs8084

One must envy people for whom life is so simple, so "black or white"...

You are absolutely correct Chinabound that some American manufacturing companies do not do "Made in America" proud to say the least.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

I like the Walmart ones that come in a 4-pack. Super bright.

DAL88
@comcast.net

DAL88 to StephenRC

Anon

to StephenRC
We have the Snappower covers also. Could not be happier with them. They work great and are simple to install.