dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eddi1984
join:2013-03-13

eddi1984

Thats it? Is it over now ...? Not faster than 50/10 any more?

Hi,

I have noticed that my 50/10 connection (since I got it, steadily had 75/15 speeds), does no more have the faster speeds? What happened, does TELUS now set the actual speed?

I had the copper put back on to my account and than removed again (staying with TELUS for now, one reason was the faster speed ...). This was just a formal thing in TELUS system, so that I was able to talk to TekSavvy for the purpose of possibly switching.

Nothing was actually changed. No wires were touched, no hardware was changed, it literately was just a "check mark" at TELUS system.

I called TELUS today, and GPON is back on my profile in the TELUS system (instead of copper). But I am no longer getting the 75/15 speeds ...

One reason, that I decided to stay with TELUS was the faster than advertised speed, were as TekSavvy would not have done that.

Is there anything that I can do, or is it now for everybody this way?

If this will stay this way with exactly 50/10 speed, than TSI is a better deal with unlimited. So far TELUS had the edge with the speed, and that was a bit more important to me, than a BW Cap (don't like the cap, but ...)

Please, I do not want any comments a la "but you are only paying for 50/10, what are you complaining ..."! For the record, I am not complaining, but trying to understand what TELUS is doing.

Cheers, Eddi.

anon9634
@telus.net

anon9634

Anon

Sounds like your profile optimized to the cap it was supposed to be at. You're not really entitled to complain about it though if you're only paying for 50/10. Just be glad you had it when you did.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999 to eddi1984

to eddi1984
If you had converged edge you could get 100/20
ttvtech
join:2013-10-10

ttvtech to eddi1984

to eddi1984
You probably had no QoS set to limit you to 50, so you were getting your full sync rate. Something happened to get the profile set right. QoS is supposed to get set when a circuit is set up, but it sometimes ends up wrong, for reasons I don't really know.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by ttvtech:

You probably had no QoS set to limit you to 50, so you were getting your full sync rate. Something happened to get the profile set right. QoS is supposed to get set when a circuit is set up, but it sometimes ends up wrong, for reasons I don't really know.

You don't want to know *wink*.
eddi1984

eddi1984

Symtex,

does it have to do with the change you did? Few days later, the speed was down.

That's to bad. It was nice while it lasted.
said by anon9634 :

Sounds like your profile optimized to the cap it was supposed to be at. You're not really entitled to complain about it though if you're only paying for 50/10. Just be glad you had it when you did.

I was not complaining, I wanted to get some inside. Maybe hoping that there was a way back ...

One more query:
How do I know, that my network was switched to CE? I can get 100/20 bonded on copper, but not interested in that. Want 100/20 on fiber.

Thanks.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by eddi1984:

Symtex,

does it have to do with the change you did? Few days later, the speed was down.

That's to bad. It was nice while it lasted.

said by anon9634 :

I was not complaining, I wanted to get some inside. Maybe hoping that there was a way back ...

One more query:
How do I know, that my network was switched to CE? I can get 100/20 bonded on copper, but not interested in that. Want 100/20 on fiber.

Thanks.

The CE network is transparent to the end user. There is no way for you to tell. We should be done very soon with all the CE conversion.
eddi1984

eddi1984

said by Symtex:

The CE network is transparent to the end user. There is no way for you to tell. We should be done very soon with all the CE conversion.

Is there a more concrete timeline? At least for Edmonton or South Edmonton?
eddi1984

eddi1984 to Symtex

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

said by ttvtech:

You don't want to know *wink*.

I gave TELUS a call and was able to talk to a Manager (must have been in the Tech department somewhere). The guy was very friendly and knowledgeable.

According to him, this what happened:
When I got 50/10, I actually was put on a 100/20 profile. The reason was, so that TELUS could test how far they can push the 100/20 in my area. Since the test is over and I had changes done to my account, I was put on the normal 50/10 profile.

That is to bad, I liked being a "test subject" ...

One thing is odd. When I was on the 100/20 profile, by connection was very stable. The speed was around 75/16 all the time (+/- 2 Mbit or so). It was not fluctuating much at all.
Since I am on the actual 50/10 now, the speed is not very constant. I have seen fluctuations past 10%. If I would have copper, I would get it, but on fiber?

Am I missing something?

Thanks.