Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to hlo207

Premium Member

to hlo207

Re: new ftth installation question

said by hlo207:

Do you see any of those things on the poles near your place? I am not sure how the underground connections look like.

You'll either have new-style peds sometimes installed right next to the old copper peds, or little ground level vaults. Or both.
dcgm19
join:2013-07-24
Canada

dcgm19 to hlo207

to hlo207
i dont have any orange tags on the poles near my house there are some near the cabinet tho that my dslam is on. but bell guarantees i can have ftth and the install is set for tomorrow. Is there a chance that i cant get it ?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Go to Bell's website and enter your address. Does 175/175 show up as an available option?
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to dcgm19

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

i dont have any orange tags on the poles near my house there are some near the cabinet tho that my dslam is on. but bell guarantees i can have ftth and the install is set for tomorrow. Is there a chance that i cant get it ?

what service did you order ?
lowping

lowping to hlo207

to hlo207
said by hlo207:

said by dcgm19:

how is it different to dedicated fiber doesnt the fiber cable all end in the same place? also a side question i dont see any fiber on the poles near my house how is bell going to install my new connection does he run a new cable form the cabinet to my house and if so doesnt this take alot of work ?

Take a look at this post: »[Internet] potential fibre?

Do you see any of those things on the poles near your place? I am not sure how the underground connections look like.

Probably something like this
»markbooth.zenfolio.com/p ··· 129d438b
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19 to lowping

to lowping
25/25 and they guaranteed me its ftth. see i tried to get vdsl at one point but im to far from the slam. also the only fiber near my house is two streets away

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to lowping

Premium Member

to lowping
said by lowping:

The greenfield deployment in those photos is a little different than brownfield he probably would have.

»goo.gl/maps/emdB5
»goo.gl/maps/eB9dn
»goo.gl/maps/hCEaD
»goo.gl/maps/cMCQ3
»goo.gl/maps/8n9cE

Sometimes they use those little white vaults, other times they use peds. When they use peds you'll often see an old copper ped and a new fibre ped side-by-side, but not always. And sometimes they use both peds and vaults.

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207 to dcgm19

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

25/25 and they guaranteed me its ftth. see i tried to get vdsl at one point but im to far from the slam. also the only fiber near my house is two streets away

Matching down/up speed sure means FTTH. Dress warmly and stick around to watch the tech do it, that way you can learn something and ask question if necessary. You should see the speedtest result of at least 25/25.

If your Bell gateway has been elsewhere in the house other than the basement wire entry location, and assuming you want the FTTH gateway to be a the same place as before; ASK THE TECH. The gateway can be anywhere you want it to be. They can always run the outdoor grade Cat5e on the outside walls.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

well my current setup has the demarc in the basement where the copper drop comes in then i run cat 5 from the demarc to the server room where all the phone patch panel and pots splitter is then the dsl modem is also in the server room plugged direct to the pots splitter. what i want bell to do with the fiber is run the fiber to the server room and install the ont, the battery and the router in there now he could use the cat5 from the entry point as a pull wire i doubt he would run fiber around the house to the server room since he has to pass under the deck and its a bitch to do and i guess it would require a conduit for the fiber which i dont have.

dataiv
join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON

dataiv to lowping

to lowping
said by lowping:

Thanks for posting that link! I hadn't seen inside a CSP before. Now I know. I watched the tech as they installed my FTTH but the CSP is around the corner down the next street a bit more than half a kilometre, so I didn't follow him there.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207 to dcgm19

to dcgm19
From my understanding Bell will put the ONT and its power supply at where the demarc was at the basement entry point. Then Bell can run the Cat5e to your server room and put the gateway there. If you already have a pre-wired Cat5e or Cat6 between the demarc and server room, I suspect you can ask him to use that. I don't think they will run the ethernet cable indoor unless you have conduits ready with strings and what not for them to pull the wire out. They can probably run the ethernet cable outside the house and enter at or near the server room. Then they put a network plug on the wall.

Maybe other Bell technicians on this forum can tell you more info.

My computer room is one the 2nd floor and the ONT is in the basement near the front of the house. Outside cable all the way and drill back in outside the computer room.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

see i want the fiber directly to the server room with the ont and power supply i dont want that crap an the basement entry point since its a bedroom and i just want all of it in the server room so i have better control over the network equipment

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

Unless Bell is not your phone line provider, 1 wire from the ONT has to go back to the existing phone system. That is why Bell want to have the ONT where the phone wirings are.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

the phone wireing is in the server room

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to dcgm19

Premium Member

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

does this service differ from the bell enterprise dedicated fiber (the one that uses a real router and not the hub crap). or is it all the same crap because with the dedicated we dont use pppoe and we dont really configure the bell equipment.

Bell residential FTTH is completely different from Bell enterprise fibre, it's authenticated using PPPoE and it uses the Bell Home Hub modem.

LemonHead42
@bell.ca

LemonHead42 to dcgm19

Anon

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

see i want the fiber directly to the server room with the ont and power supply i dont want that crap an the basement entry point since its a bedroom and i just want all of it in the server room so i have better control over the network equipment

Well unfortunately you WONT get what you want, if u want, you can move it yourself to the bed room (who does this anyway?) and instead of asking bell to run the fiber all the way to your bed room why not just put a joint on the end and connect a new fiber optic cable to the one that comes in from bell? you DO know that fiber optic cables can be coupled together, right? also make sure you sign a waiver that you want to intentionally move bells equipment to a different room than what is required for the residential installation standard and make sure you keep one copy and one copy goes to the installation dept and the final copy goes on your bell record file so if anything goes wrong and its your fault you understand all risks and responsibilities
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

why wouldnt I get this its my house and im paying for it also with a business installation they would do it without issue

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to LemonHead42

Premium Member

to LemonHead42
said by LemonHead42 :

Well unfortunately you WONT get what you want, if u want, you can move it yourself to the bed room (who does this anyway?) and instead of asking bell to run the fiber all the way to your bed room why not just put a joint on the end and connect a new fiber optic cable to the one that comes in from bell? you DO know that fiber optic cables can be coupled together, right?

For the most part techs will follow the customers wishes as long it's not going to cause issues with the service. Also someone can't just splice a new end on a piece of fibre without the proper tools and most people don't have the tools or access to the tools.

As btech805 and I have already said, if the customer has everything in place for us to pull the fibre to where they want than we will do it. If the basement is unfinished or a drop ceiling and the equipment is going on the main floor we will run the line to where it needs to go and drill a small hole for the wire, we will however not fish a line through a finished section of the house unless the customer has already opened up the wall for us to do this as we're not going to repair any drywall.
said by LemonHead42 :

also make sure you sign a waiver that you want to intentionally move bells equipment to a different room than what is required for the residential installation standard and make sure you keep one copy and one copy goes to the installation dept and the final copy goes on your bell record file so if anything goes wrong and its your fault you understand all risks and responsibilities

No such waiver, if a tech had you sign one it's because you were being a problem customer.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

i guess i will run a pull line tonight and open all the ceiling tiles and make it super easy for the tech

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to dcgm19

Premium Member

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

why wouldnt I get this its my house and im paying for it also with a business installation they would do it without issue

In a business install, if you own the building, the line can go through any exterior wall that we can access and if there is a unfinished or drop ceiling than the line can be installed where you want it otherwise it's the same situation as residential customer and it will be up the business owner to get the line from the entrance to there unit or the location that they want everything installed at.

I'm not sure if this is the same process, most likely not since there is usually a sizeable install fee, for the enterprise dedicated fibre as that is completely different service altogether from the standard GPON FTTH/FTTB service that Bell is currently selling.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

i have one other question i know the phone service is voip but do i have to use the alcatel ont or can i remove it and plug the fiber directly to my router(a mikrotik) also is there any config page or gui for the ont that i can connect to and finally can bell set it so the battery also powers the lan ports and the phone

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to dcgm19

Premium Member

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

how delicate is the fiber since i do have an old wire that can be used as a pull string to the server room. also is this the same fiber and setup they would use for a dedicated line that i have at work for example because the modem at work (its not a modem) is not the same as the residential one

The fibre is fairly durable as long the run is straight and if there are any holes that the fibre needs to go through are large enough than it shouldn't be an issue.

In relation to the entrance point where is the server room? Is it still in the basement or on one of the upper floors?
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

its on an upper floor but its directly on top of the basement its about a 20 foot run and its super easy there is a big hole for cables to goto the server room and its open ceilings its super easy to run wiring in my house

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to dcgm19

Premium Member

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

i have one other question i know the phone service is voip but do i have to use the alcatel ont or can i remove it and plug the fiber directly to my router(a mikrotik) also is there any config page or gui for the ont that i can connect to and finally can bell set it so the battery also powers the lan ports and the phone

You will need to use the ONT, however from the ONT you can connect your own router with the PPPoE details in your device, see »blog.ngpixel.com/post/10 ··· n-router.

There is no config page that you can access to make a settings change like that since when the power goes out Bell has to provide backup to the phone service for emergency situations.
JC_

JC_ to dcgm19

Premium Member

to dcgm19
said by dcgm19:

its on an upper floor but its directly on top of the basement its about a 20 foot run and its super easy there is a big hole for cables to goto the server room and its open ceilings its super easy to run wiring in my house

It was my understanding that it was on the 2nd floor, if it's right above the basement you shouldn't have any issues with getting the tech to run the line over to the server room.

When the tech gets there to do your install just explain to him what you want and show him where you want the line to come into the house, always best by the electric panel as there is a slack box the installed outside, and where you want it and all of the equipment to go.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

Thanks everyone for the input !
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

I didn't understand it was on the 1st floor either. Going from basement to main floor is rarely an issue, and the fact you have ceiling tiles makes it even easier! I too though we were speaking of a 2nd or 3rd floor installation.

But again, residential FTTH and enterprise fiber are two COMPLETELY different services and have two completely different installation methods, so don't expect similar procedures. The only thing the two services have in common is that they are both delivered over fiber but after that they are completely different.
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

So bell came on Saturday the tech was amazing really nice guy and i helped him run the fiber to the server room and we chatted for a while i love this new fiber service soooo fast!!!!!!! well worth the switch.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Pictures!
dcgm19
Canada

dcgm19

I will take some tonight do you want to see anything in particular !