All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Canadian airlines must have two crew in cockpit at all times

A spokesperson for Air Canada said the policy change is a direct result of reports that say one of the pilots on the fatal Germanwings Airbus flight was locked out of the cockpit during the plane’s deadly descent.

“We are implementing without delay a policy change to ensure that all flights have two people in the cockpit at all times,” Peter Fitzpatrick said in a statement.

»www.thestar.com/news/can ··· mes.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do they get a crock pot or a bucket as their urinal....what modifications will be made to the cockpit, if any?

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig

Premium Member

No alterations needed. Two people in cockpit at all times regardless of skill sets. Pilot goes for a whizz, stewardess can replace his presence in cockpit with the expectation she will beat the snot out of any deranged pilots should they have a death wish like this German fellow. ...or at least unlock the door.
jaberi

jaberi

not sure that would work, unless she was Rambo...she/he are not familiar with the logs, there is just one button to push to descend......i guess we will never know if this locked cockpits have saved us any lives.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Thingamajig

Premium Member

to Thingamajig
Next crash will be caused by a pilot attempting a go "around around" with the stewardess; rules will be changed so that the entire crew is required to wear chastity belts.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Must resist Thanes pull into the gutter...........
LastDon
join:2002-08-13

LastDon to jaberi

to jaberi
they might as well make a retro fit toilet for pilots inside the cockpit.. flying has become crazy.. u don't know who or what mental capacity the person flying has or is going through.
Expand your moderator at work
jaberi

jaberi to LastDon

to LastDon

Re: Canadian airlines must have two crew in cockpit at all times

said by LastDon:

they might as well make a retro fit toilet for pilots inside the cockpit.. flying has become crazy.. u don't know who or what mental capacity the person flying has or is going through.

i can't see a space for a lavatory in the cockpit......thinking the air-marshals might be their best bet...

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
This has been SOP for US-flagged carriers since 9/11 and they've managed just fine- it won't be a huge change operationally for Canadian carriers.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by corster:

This has been SOP for US-flagged carriers since 9/11 and they've managed just fine- it won't be a huge change operationally for Canadian carriers.

I was very surprised to learn that it wasn't already being done by Canadian carriers.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to jaberi

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

said by LastDon:

i can't see a space for a lavatory in the cockpit......thinking the air-marshals might be their best bet...

now they are banning bran muffins from the pilots lounge
jaberi

1 edit

jaberi to corster

to corster
said by corster:

i recall a people being mad when they introduced these inflight marshals, the deal was we had to pay extra $20 bucks on top of our ticket..and of course we did no need this and that because 9/11 happened in USA...$20 is too much....sort of the same attitude when they announced paying $25 for checked luggage.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sk ··· _marshal

»www.thestar.com/news/can ··· ror.html
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to LastDon

to LastDon
said by LastDon:

Except it's not that crazy. When you think about how many flights get from point a to b without incident it's staggering. Terrorist attacks and this crazy copilot make up a small small fraction of the boatload of flights that occur every year. It has to be something like .00000001% of flights have an issue. It's probably safer than driving a car.

The 21st century seems to panick after situations occur that I would consider outliers. Very rare things that are far outside the norm. Rules and regulations get setup to address these issues that are barely a problem. Complete panick after a one off incident.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Hi Zod, like most things, its a matter of sorting out the requirements.
- prevent crazy guy from entering cockpit
- provide override code such that a person with the code can enter cockpit
(with caveat that door opens after 5 seconds which gives cockpit crew time to disengage the overide - I am assuming to ensure legitimate person is allowed in and not being forced to enter overide code by cwazy person)
- missing requirement
(way to access cockpit by sane pilot after cwazy guy locks him out)
Solution is easiest solved by never leaving cwazy guy alone.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

The 21st century seems to panick after situations occur that I would consider outliers. Very rare things that are far outside the norm. Rules and regulations get setup to address these issues that are barely a problem. Complete panick after a one off incident.

The great majority of people are unable to grasp the perspective of large numbers. They understand the numbers themselves, their brain is just unable to properly juxtapose the difference between them.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav

Premium Member

The understanding of math and science is against the religion of this govt unless it can be twisted or used for political purposes.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to zod5000

Premium Member

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

OTOH it was reasonable after 9/11 to provide a physical defense for the airplane cockpit.

Consider: US TSA inspectors even these days confiscate over 2,000 firearms a year from people going through airport checkpoints:

a) Surely they miss some, so the number is really higher.

b) And that is among people who KNOW IN ADVANCE that they will be screened, but were carrying the weapons anyway !!

So defenses are still needed, the question is how to not have them backfire.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to IamGimli

Premium Member

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by zod5000:

The great majority of people are unable to grasp the perspective of large numbers. They understand the numbers themselves, their brain is just unable to properly juxtapose the difference between them.

Tell that to the families of the people that died, namely, what happened were due to issues "that are barely a problem." If there WAS two people in that Cockpit this might not have happened.

In this day and age it doesn't require a brain scientist to address the fact that one person should not be alone in the cockpit. In the time taken for the bathroom break the one person could have a medical emergency.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

And unfortunately we are finding more and more about the personal problems of the co-pilot.

FBOFW, pilots will now be subject (forever) to more frequent and more intense mental health screening....

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Perhaps if we sent those gut toting perps to UTAH so they could look at the other end of a barrel, such insolent behaviour would cease.
Anav

Anav to capdjq

Premium Member

to capdjq
Bang on Capdj, it was recommended after the Malaysian incident as it highly suspected that at least one of the pilots was a rogue dude.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
You would think with today's technology, an aircraft could be to a degree, remotely controlled enough to disallow any unsafe maneuvers.

I guess not....and even if it were, people would bitch over a computer system controlling the flight.

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3 to LastDon

to LastDon
No need for a toilet......."Depends"

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Or integrate the toilet into the seats of the flight crew.

It's already done for executive office furniture.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· SmVqdi2U

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Bender2000

Premium Member

to Bender2000
If they can hack protected websites, I would not bet on an airplane being safe either..........
Psychologically not viable until the paying public is used to remote controlled cars......
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to capdjq

to capdjq
said by capdjq:

Tell that to the families of the people that died, namely, what happened were due to issues "that are barely a problem."

ZOMG!!!!! Think of the CHILDRUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!

There's a reason we don't let victims be judges. Emotions make for terrible policies.
said by capdjq:

If there WAS two people in that Cockpit this might not have happened.

If the cockpit door hadn't been re-inforced because of another stupidly emotional overreaction it wouldn't have been a problem either.
said by capdjq:

In this day and age it doesn't require a brain scientist to address the fact that one person should not be alone in the cockpit. In the time taken for the bathroom break the one person could have a medical emergency.

But what if there's a chemical fire in the cockpit and both persons present are suddenly incapacitated? Should there also be a third pilot outside the cockpit at all times? What if the aircraft suffers sudden depressurization, shouldn't we have another pilot in his own sealed compartment with it's own, completely independant pressurization system? What if, what if, what if...

The world is a dangerous place. People die. Aircrafts are orders of magnitude safer, no matter the number of people in the cockpit (unless the number is zero but I haven't heard of that one yet though).

There's absolutely NOTHING you can do to stop someone bent on killing from doing so. All you can do is punish them after the fact and hope that the prospect of punishment is enough to keep them from acting on their desire.
IamGimli

IamGimli (banned) to Bender2000

to Bender2000
said by Bender2000:

You would think with today's technology, an aircraft could be to a degree, remotely controlled enough to disallow any unsafe maneuvers.

I guess not....and even if it were, people would bitch over a computer system controlling the flight.

But then it can also be remotely controlled to crash in a mountain. I guess we need the Google Aircraft to complement the Google Car.

jaysona
join:2000-03-22
Montreal, QC
Asus RT-AC68
Linksys WRT1900AC
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

jaysona to Bender2000

to Bender2000
said by Bender2000:

What makes you think any aircraft flying today is using technology that is even remotely close to "today's" technology?

B777 - using early 1990's era technology
B787 - using early 2000 era technology
A380 - using late 1990's era technology

Everything else using even older technology.
said by Bender2000:

As it stands today, all current Airbus aircraft flying are fully computer controlled (fly by wire), while the B777, B787 & B747-8 have varying degrees of fly by wire as well.
jaysona

jaysona to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

Yup, purely a knee-jerk reaction. One mentally ill pilot kills ~180 pax, yet millions of flights a year transporting billions of people a year fly successfully with no issues - and yet it's treated as a crisis.

Geez, what about all the drunk drivers killing people every year - doesn't seem to be treated like much of a crisis in comparison. *sigh*
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by zod5000:

OTOH it was reasonable after 9/11 to provide a physical defense for the airplane cockpit.

Consider: US TSA inspectors even these days confiscate over 2,000 firearms a year from people going through airport checkpoints:

a) Surely they miss some, so the number is really higher.

b) And that is among people who KNOW IN ADVANCE that they will be screened, but were carrying the weapons anyway !!

So defenses are still needed, the question is how to not have them backfire.

Were metal detectors not common in use before 9/11? I'm pretty sure you couldn't bring a gun onto a plan back then either. There was a reason the 9/11 hijackers used boxcutters?

I do agree that locking the cockpit was a good idea. It prevents the plane from getting taken over.