Search similar:

uniqs
tr0910
join:2006-01-03
Kansas City, KS

tr0910 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1

Re: [Anveo] Anveo - Brain dead user??

No its dead again, on both adapters. At least they are both behaving the same...
79176722 (banned)
VoIP.ms, Magento, and lotsa open tabs
join:2015-02-19
Miami, FL

2 edits

2 recommendations

79176722 (banned)

»www.google.com/search?q=ip
Does it show an IPv6 address?: xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx
Or does it show an IPv4 address?: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

I had something "stop working one sunny day" myself which was related to my ISP starting to use an IPv6. I also woke up one day and had very bad wireless and suddenly noticed my ISP made the rented modem (upto that point) broadcast a public wifi on top of my personal wifi - using same router. I'm just saying this so you realize that even if things "worked fine" it doesn't mean Anveo is to blame, since your ISP can make a lot of changes internally and on your rented equipment without your knowledge or consent.

If it shows an IPv6, then look for a setting in your router to force IPv4 for testing.

If it shows an IPv4, then the problem could still be with your router, but some other setting/limitation/bug/issue, so I'd say test with a different model router, or better yet, if it's possible don't use a router at all - plug the modem directly to the SIP device.

Since you're the only person currently complaining about chronic connectivity issues with Anveo, it's quite obvious the problem is on your side, and I'm not sure why you haven't already done all the pinpointing troubleshooting.

If you have cable, I'm pretty sure you can also take your modem/router to a nearby friend, and test your SIP device with his router, and then with yours to confirm the issue is specifically somewhere in your router...
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

tr0910

I don't think there are chronic connectivity problems with Anveo. I've never had issues with them up until this latest wierd situation. When it is resolved, we will post the solution for all to learn from.

I have multiple locations, so the ATA's have been tested on different routers and different ISP's and all behave the same. Its a strange one. I'm just glad I now seem to be getting good help from Anveo techs. I always get quality help from here... Thanks for the ideas.
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

79176722 (banned)

Now that last bit doesn't make sense whatsoever. So you got this new SIP device from Anveo, right? You plug it to a totally different ISP & router and it still misbehaves???

I'd say next thing to try would be different credentials (user account) because maybe something got corrupted on Anveo's side somewhere somehow. And another thing to try would be using a different, corded, analog phone plugged in to that SIP device.
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

tr0910

Both SIP devices came from a junk electronics store called Amazon. The other one has been used for several years in a different location with different voip provider. When I tried this other ATA, it was plugged into a different analog phone so that variable was tested too. I think we have done a good job pointing the issues back to something real wierd in the Anveo setup.
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

79176722 (banned)

Create a new user account for testing purposes... Test it with a cable ISP, directly to modem, diff SIP device, reset to factory, then only change essential config settings, diff analog phone. If it still misbehaves then I'd agree that the issue is with Anveo. Otherwise you've not isolated the cause of the problem correctly, yet, IMHO.
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

tr0910

Today we worked with Anveo to test with and without the router. Eliminating the router and connecting directly to the regional provider, MokanDial's DSL modem still results in the phone ringing, but once you answer it, there is no voice heard. 2 ATA's were tested.

Tonight we will move the equipment to a different location and try with a cable provider (Comcast). However there is no separate modem there, so won't be able to eliminate the router. Anveo hasn't expressed interest in creating a new account yet, but we can do that too.
tr0910

2 recommendations

tr0910

Re: [Anveo] Anveo - support??

And guess what?? On the Comcast line the Anveo account works perfectly????

Is it possible that the ISP MokanDial is blocking the VOIP?? I know they sure don't like VOIP at all.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by tr0910:

Is it possible that the ISP MokanDial is blocking the VOIP?? I know they sure don't like VOIP at all.

Possible, but unlikely. They would likely bring the FCC down on themselves if they did. Also, from »www.mokandial.net/terms_ ··· ditions/ :

The Company does not impair, degrade or delay VoIP applications or services that compete with its voice services and those of its affiliates.

PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to tr0910

Premium Member

to tr0910
said by tr0910:

Things are in a strange state when anything at all works perfectly on Comcast.
said by tr0910:

Didn't you say that you tried CallCentric on the PAP2T and that it worked fine?
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

tr0910

said by PX Eliezer1:

Didn't you say that you tried CallCentric on the PAP2T and that it worked fine?

Yes, the other PAP-2T is used every day on Callcentric. The original (potentially fake) one, I haven't tried it on Callcentric, but since they both behaved the exact same on Anveo, I didn't think it was ATA related, and didn't try it on Callcentric.

If it is ISP related, this becomes a whole lot more clear. Mokan Dial only gets us 5/1 service there, but it has seemed to be stable, but slow. The Comcast line I tried tonight is 60/6 speed. Internet speed problems and latency give you a poor call experience with choppy audio. This is totally different. We get no audio at all, even though the phone will ring and you can answer it fine. Just can't hear the other party.
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

79176722 (banned)

At this point it sounds like you'd want to contact Mokan Dial to report the issue so you/they can do a few things:
a. upgrade firmware on modem/router.
b. replace modem/router to a diff model.
c. disable any firewall or filtering component in the modem/router.
d. attempt to get the ISP to disable any traffic shaping or firewalling on their end wrt the problematic IPs.
e. force IPv4 everywhere
f. have them test specific IPs and specific ports per Anveo's support
g. temporarily attempt to set the SIP's device MAC address for highest priority in QoS settings or in a DMZ zone
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

1 recommendation

Stewart to tr0910

to tr0910
said by tr0910:

This problem should be easy to diagnose, though it may not be easy to fix.

Does your router get a public IP address on the WAN side? If not, either the modem is configured as a router (most likely) or the ISP is doing NAT. In this case, try logging into the modem (open a Web page at the address that the router shows for its default gateway, or see modem's manual) and setting it up as a bridge. When setting bridge mode in the modem, you'll probably have to set up PPPoE on the router, so be sure that you know the username and password to use.

Alternatively, the modem may have some settings called firewall, SPI, or SIP that you can try disabling.

If the modem is bridged but the router still pulls a private IP (ISP is doing NAT), ask the ISP if they can provide a public IP.

If you still have trouble, please post make/model of router and modem, and any special settings in either.
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

tr0910

said by Stewart:

Does your router get a public IP address on the WAN side? If not, either the modem is configured as a router (most likely) or the ISP is doing NAT.

Very interesting. Yes, I recall the WAN IP was 192.168.2.2 or some such thing. Good chance I am being NATed. I can't verify until tomorrow....

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by tr0910:

Very interesting. Yes, I recall the WAN IP was 192.168.2.2 or some such thing. Good chance I am being NATed. I can't verify until tomorrow....

If the router's WAN side is getting a 192.168.x.x IP address, then you're behind a double-nat. ie, the modem is acting as a both a modem and a NATing router, and then you've got your NATing router behind it. Such a situation is really not ideal, especially for VoIP.

Generally, the workaround for this is to "bridge" the modem - so that it acts solely as a modem. Your router would then get the IP address assigned by your ISP.

If this actually is the issue, then you should try bridging the modem. Your ISP can probably even help you with, if you obtained the modem from them. Just don't mention that it has anything to do with VoIP - let them think you're a gamer or something ; )
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

tr0910

One test we did yesterday was to plug the ATA directly into the modem bypassing the router. That should have gotten rid of the double NAT. That test failed also.

Unless I am being triple NATed??
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

79176722 (banned)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the suggestion is that your ISP himself is "sharing" one public IP with multiple customers at one given time. In other words two customers could be checking their public IP by typing "IP" in google and they'll both get the same exact IP at the same exact time.
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

1 edit

tr0910

That is not good. How can I test this?? Currently google shows my ip of 67.22x.20x.131
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

79176722 (banned)

a. You should at least mask your IP a little.
b. I have no idea how you'd check for these things as my network knowledge is very limited.
c. I may be very wrong about what being double-NATed means.
taoman
Premium Member
join:2013-09-13
Seattle, WA

1 edit

taoman to tr0910

Premium Member

to tr0910
said by tr0910:

How can I test this?? Currently google shows my ip of xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

No need to test. That's a public IP address. Your ISP is not handing out NATed IP addresses.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

Ehh, that test is invalid.

All websites will always show the public IP, not matter how many times it has been natted.

Look at the status page for the router or modem. What IP does it have? If it's 192.168.x.x or 10.0.0.0 or 172.(16-31).x.x, then there is at least one level of NAT in front of it.

I expect if carrier NAT were to be a thing, it would likely use 172. addresses as they are much less commonly used in residential networks.
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

79176722 (banned) to taoman

to taoman
The way I understood it, as far as "the web" (google servers that tell you your IP, for example) you'll always have a public IP, even if you're behind quadruple NAT-inside-NAT-inside-NAT-inside-NAT...
tr0910
Kansas City, KS

tr0910

OK, Mokan had something wierd going on. Had to replace modem, bridge, go static IP and now it works finally. More testing still to do, but wanted to provide an update.

Frustrating experience for me and for Anveo too. It must be difficult to have first level techs really able to find out what the real issues are. There must be a better way...
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

5 recommendations

hardly to tr0910

Premium Member

to tr0910

Re: [Anveo] Anveo - Brain dead user

I wonder how many hours of "Brain Dead Anveo tech support" for a free account were wasted solving your ISP and counterfeit device problems?
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

79176722 (banned)

He took those words back... The issue was never the SIP device's fault, fake or not... I'm sure the fake device works great right now too... I'm also pretty sure that if he wouldn't come out here and post then Anveo wouldn't spend more effort pinpointing the problem.

It has nothing to do with a free account or not, thanks to TR0910 at least now Anveo (and everyone on the forum too, incl other VoIP providers) know that this specific ISP is problematic. Hopefully one of these companies will create an automated testing method to save some time & effort in the future with similar scenarios...

TR0910 - thanks for keeping us updated.
hardly
Premium Member
USA
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear CM600

4 recommendations

hardly to 79176722

Premium Member

to 79176722

Re: [Anveo] Anveo - support??

I disagree. From where I'm looking, Anveo support had nothing to do with OP's problem and still does not. The original title of this thread was: Anveo - Brain dead drones on support??. When the OP was called on it, the take back was to rename it to: Anveo - support??
Where I'm from, that is not called a take back.
IMHO Anveo went above and beyond by supporting this user of a free account with costly tech support for a problem that was not theirs.
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

2 edits

79176722 (banned)

I get a feeling that thanks to TR0910, Anveo (and other providers taking close note of this topic and its resolution) will gain at least a handful of new customers (incl TR0910 becoming a more paying customer eventually), and will measurably decrease the amount of negative-review customers. I think Anveo was wise to go through the trouble of proving to this customer in 100% certainty that the fault is his ISP, not them.

If Voipo (from the other topic discussing customer reviews) had the mentality of drilling down strange problems since you know damn well you're gonna encounter it again next week, well then, their overall score would cross the 90% mark a long time ago.

This topic, then, teaches a great lesson: any VoIP dealing with a hardheaded customer should send their customer here so we can kick some sense into him in case he's unjustifiably thinking the fault is at your end (the VoSP's).

Or perhaps another solution would be for the VoSP to have a ToS clause (or "tech support rule") to something like: our service may not work if you don't have a static IP. Because with a static IP, your ISP cannot play any NATing games...

Or perhaps now the VoSP will know to call the ISP support and ask them on behalf of their mutual customer what's going on with his connection... They may not talk to him, but they just might if he throws up in the air words like "network neutrality" and "FCC" and "the law".
hardly
Premium Member
USA
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear CM600

3 recommendations

hardly

Premium Member

said by 79176722:

Or perhaps another solution would be for the VoSP to have a ToS clause (or "tech support rule") to something like: our service may not work if you don't have a static IP. Because with a static IP, your ISP cannot play any NATing games...

Or perhaps now the VoSP will know to call the ISP support and ask them on behalf of their mutual customer what's going on with his connection... They may not talk to him, but they just might if he throws up in the air words like "network neutrality" and "FCC" and "the law".

Please explain how any of this is the responsibility of any VOIP service provider. Did you purposely leave out a requirement to have electric power and an internet connection? Did you forget to tell them not to run with scissors? /sarcasm
79176722 (banned)
Miami, FL

79176722 (banned)

It's not their responsibility... They don't have to do it... But if they don't, they will receive unwarranted negative feedback from the clueless masses who'll blame them, and at the same time plenty of similarly-clueless masses will believe those accounts...

Consequently, they'll lose customers and hurt their own reputation. But yes, it's a cost/benefit thing, so some VoSP's may be willing to take the hit (and the heat) so they can concentrate on non-problematic customers.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by 79176722:

Consequently, they'll lose customers and hurt their own reputation. But yes, it's a cost/benefit thing, so some VoSP's may be willing to take the hit (and the heat) so they can concentrate on non-problematic customers.

Not everyone is in the same market niche.

Couple years ago I was in Wendy's when a woman (already having received the food for her grandkids) kept coming up to the counter multiple times with unusual special requests. (I am sorry that I can't remember the specifics).

After the 3rd time, I know that I did want to yell at her and say "This is Wendy's, not Del Frisco's Steakhouse!"