uniqs

boog
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Trenton, OH

boog

Premium Member

Tablets

So, i just picked up my first Windows tablet, switched from an android tablet. It is the Acer Aspire Switch 11. So far I am really liking it. This is closer to what I was wanting back on my first palm pilot!

I'm also a Linux guy, but Windows 8.1 has grown on me.

So, how many use a tablet with Windows? Are you liking it as well as you thought you would? What do you find is missing?

I'm starting to think I would like the screen to re size when using the keyboard. Can't always see because the on screen keyboard will block the lower portion of the display.

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

1 recommendation

Willy

Premium Member

My wife has an Ipad.
I played with it and liked it but I'm more into reading books via Overdrive and Kindle so I saved money by buying a Windows device HP Omni 10.

For whatever reason I didn't realize that a Windows tablet actually ran the same Windows OP as a desktop or laptop computer.

At first I hated it, regretting I didn't buy an iPad.
Everything was more difficult with the HP than the Ipad at first but eventually I came to love it.

The biggest advantage is not having to do everything through iTunes.
I've spent hours and hours getting things in order on my wifes iPad and iPhone, issues that don't exist on my Android phone and Windows tablet

boog
Premium Member
Trenton, OH

boog

Premium Member

I don't know why I didn't notice it before, but there is a "maximize" button on the keyboard that sort of changes the screen to be more of what I want.
DSA
join:2013-04-27
Brantford, ON

1 recommendation

DSA to boog

to boog
I bought a surface pro 3 about a month ago and I love it. Since then I have sold my macbook air and my ipad mini, for my money the pro blows them both away. I am also a linux guy, typing this on LXLE, VIVA WINDOWS AND LINUX LOL.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to boog

Premium Member

to boog
I have an original Surface RT that I used to use often, but has since been relegated to the island of misfit toys. There is a Dell Venue 8 that is kicking around and occasionally gets used. I use an Android tablet for normal tablet things...

I really either need a keyboard (a real one) or an OS designed to work without any keyboard. So far, windows 8.x is really in the first camp, and unless the tablet has a physical keyboard it just doesn't work well enough on its own. Maybe Windows 10 will do it.

boog
Premium Member
Trenton, OH

boog

Premium Member

Yeah, the keyboard is probably the worst part, but using it for several days now, it is growing on me. It hasn't been bad to type this reply on the OSK.
boog

boog to DSA

Premium Member

to DSA
I think I am going to leave this one Windows lol, though I was tempted to try. Maybe I'll see if at least a live thumb drive will run on it.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

dib22 to boog

to boog
said by boog:

So, how many use a tablet with Windows? Are you liking it as well as you thought you would? What do you find is missing?

I picked up a surface pro original, it's a decent laptop, pretty happy with it overall for what it's used for... but the one I have really been using a lot lately is the WinBook 801 I picked up for $99... full sized usb 3.0 port, micro hdmi, and micro usb.

As for what is missing? Well you really notice it on the winbook more than the surfrace pro with its smaller screen size, but windows is really bad at magnification and menu sizes.

Using the built in programs you can lock the magnifier to task bar for easy access... but even with thier "touch" + - and X buttons its very very clunky (you can tell its the old mouse magnifier)... with 8.1 being so touch-centric I would have thought microsoft would have thought about magnification more... perhaps in 10....

The main reason I use the winbook more than my android or ios tablets is the control level... I can browse much more securely (blocking malware, ad, tracker sites, etc)... they (android, ios) still have windows beat at power use... but windows is getting there.