join:2012-11-17
New York, NY

4 edits

nony to joeb99

Premium Member

to joeb99

Re: [TV] DVR questions ??

said by joeb99:

Besides the PS3, do any other devices support DTCP-IP?

The DLNA certifications site shows 502 products which are DTCP-IP compliant-
»www.dlna.org/consumerhom ··· t-search

On android, I'm using BubbleUPnP (with VLC as my MPEG2 renderer) to stream my recorded DCX3600M content -->experimentally.

In practice, I use my slingbox along with a very nifty remote recording application to stream and record any and all content to my target device, with very good results.

If you are just getting started, download BubbleUPnP Server on your windows machine from here (and knock yourself out)
»www.bubblesoftapps.com/b ··· pserver/

-nony

dritchie
join:2001-05-07
Euclid, OH

dritchie

This thread has morphed into a discussion that is WAY over my head.
Someone on the west coast said something about a 6 tuner DVR being available for $3.00 more a month, I think this would solve all of my problems, I called my local Rep, who said, "this is not available in the "mid west"" ( Ohio)
I am thinking my options are: wait until I can get one, but a TIVO ( more money) or learn to live with what I have. Maybe once I learn what I can do with the "smart" TV it will be easier.
The Rep also said I could watch "on demand", but I can't seem to find the things I want to watch "on demand", and can't fast forward.

Thanks for the advice I don't understand

Don
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:

I know someone who was recently issued a recycled Scientific Atlanda 8300HD with the whole whopping 160 GB HD included. Surprised they still issue those antiques.

The nice thing about that DVR is you could put external storage on it all day long.. So long as it wasn't the HDC model.
Tech Hiker
join:2012-11-23

Tech Hiker

said by ke4pym:

The nice thing about that DVR is you could put external storage on it all day long.. So long as it wasn't the HDC model.

What makes the HDC model not friendly to external storage?
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

4 edits

nony to dritchie

Premium Member

to dritchie
What makes the HDC model not friendly to external storage?

When they rolled out that model they decided that a sub shouldn't be allowed to plug in an external drive.

But all of that will be changing...

Because we all have have options!

Hob may have access to the roll-out schedule for your neck of the woods, but may not be at liberty to share it all. Still, his advice continues to be golden. (plz delete any of my remarks that may be misconstrued as complimentary.)

-nony
nony

4 edits

nony

Premium Member

Update on the DCX3600-

The provisioning allows us to stream unprotected content to any uPNP client.

Specifically,

With the latest builds of VLC you can view the directory of all your recorded DVR content, and stream all unprotected content to any of your connected device(s)

Because its always good to be connected, although being made is even better
---
Three-Step Howto: (for a win7 64bit machine)

1) Connect your DCX3600 to your home router
2) Download one of the supported* versions of VLC (from the nightly builds)-

vlc-3.0.0-git-20150308-0402-win64
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150301-0402-win64
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150224-1301-win64
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150126-0402-win64

*Although the VLC uPNP functionality has been broken on win32/win64 for some time, the above builds appear to work ok (in my limited testing)

3) Click on View-->Playlist-->Universal Plug'n Play and you should be good to go.

-nony
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to dritchie

Premium Member

to dritchie
If one is interested in staying with just a 2 tuner box, which is the best one to ask for?

Sister has an ancient Cisco 8742HDC that is slow and the remote is amazingly bad.

Any recommendations?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

The 8742 is certainly not ancient. I have 2 at home and they work great.

Hob
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

The one they have is crazy slow to change channels. Like 5-7 seconds per change. The guide is very slow as well. I don't have any other cable boxes to compare it to. I'm used to the DirecTV STB's.

More often than not, it won't turn the TV and DVR on at the same time when you hit the system power button. You've got to go back and turn one or the other on when it messes up. Never mind the volume button issues.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Sounds like a remote issue not a box issue.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

The one they have is crazy slow to change channels. Like 5-7 seconds per change. The guide is very slow as well. I don't have any other cable boxes to compare it to. I'm used to the DirecTV STB's.

More often than not, it won't turn the TV and DVR on at the same time when you hit the system power button. You've got to go back and turn one or the other on when it messes up. Never mind the volume button issues.

With regard to your remote System Power Button:

1.) Have you tried new fresh batteries or a different remote model?
2.) If you have the Clicker Backlight remote you need a straight line of site pointing slightly down from the clock on the box to use the System Button. The older Synergy's had a better zoom range and where less "touchy." Make sure nothing is in that line of sight. Aim for the center of the clock and slightly downward.

Satch

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
Some TVs that have backlights, ambient lights, or screens that cause serious interference in the infrared spectrum used by the remotes. Nearby CFLs and LED lights can sometimes do it as well. It causes missed remote commands, which may make it seem like the box is slow or the remote isn't working.
»www.avsforum.com/forum/2 ··· ote.html
Turn off every light source in the room and check to see if the box responds quicker.

Something to keep in mind if swapping the remote doesn't fix the problems.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

If one is interested in staying with just a 2 tuner box, which is the best one to ask for?

Sister has an ancient Cisco 8742HDC that is slow and the remote is amazingly bad.

Any recommendations?

The 8742 came out a few years ago more like 3 or 4 years.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to dritchie

Premium Member

to dritchie
Super simple setup here, guys.

Incandescent lighting, and a basic-run-of-the-mill Samsung TV. Everything is in the line of sight.

The DVR responds quickly to the remote commands. It just takes forever for it to do something after it has gotten the command.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

Is the TV changing resolutions between channels?

Otherwise, does powercycling the box make any difference?
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

No, TV is stable and I've not noticed any difference in rebooting the box.
ernliz
Albemarle, NC

ernliz to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
I have one of those enhanced DVRs and the 6-tuner capability is fine. However.... the unit is SLOW. Even when not recording, there is an unacceptable amount of lag when scrolling channels in the Guide. The unit locks up at times (and forever refuses to play) when attempting to play back recorded programs (which eventually have to be deleted using the Program Manager). Most of the lag is caused by the small preview windows shown when selecting channels in the Guide and elsewhere. Bottom line: although the many frivolous and blingy features are "nice" they slow the unit down way too much.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 edit

Satch

said by ernliz:

I have one of those enhanced DVRs and the 6-tuner capability is fine. However.... the unit is SLOW. Even when not recording, there is an unacceptable amount of lag when scrolling channels in the Guide. The unit locks up at times (and forever refuses to play) when attempting to play back recorded programs (which eventually have to be deleted using the Program Manager). Most of the lag is caused by the small preview windows shown when selecting channels in the Guide and elsewhere. Bottom line: although the many frivolous and blingy features are "nice" they slow the unit down way too much.

Perhaps the simpler guide on the old MDN SA-8300 boxes (non-C) was fastest. What I found out was that in Nebraska, they have not converted the boxes to the more advanced search/VOD menus yet. The newer boxes run the old guide still on the SA boxes . However, the menus on the newer boxes are in HD and the system just flies.

Satch
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

4 edits

nony

Premium Member

said by nony:

With the latest builds of VLC you can view the directory of all your recorded DVR content, and stream all unprotected content to any of your connected device(s)

VLC builds that behave well on win64 machines include-

vlc-3.0.0-git-20150308-0402-win64
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150308-0003-win32
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150309-0002-win32
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150301-0402-win64
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150224-1301-win64
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150224-1839-win32
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150126-0402-win64
vlc-3.0.0-git-20150126-0002-win32

Builds before 1/26/2015 and after 3/9/2015 have parsing issues.
---
You can use Device Spy to explore/exploit the UPnP capabilities of your cable devices-
»opentools.homeip.net/dev ··· for-upnp (Tools include Device Spy and AV Media Controller)
»community.cablelabs.com/ ··· xerciser (Build a working OCAP-compliant DVR-equipped cable box on your Windows/Linux machine)
---
Tutorials-
UPnP AV: The technology basis of DLNA
»upnp.org/resources/docum ··· 2014.pdf
UPnP Device Architecture (UDA)
»upnp.org/resources/docum ··· 2014.pdf

-nony
nony

nony

Premium Member

DXC36000 + MS4000

It would be really nifty if TWC would support the Arris MS4000 Media Streamer (aka) PlaceShifting Transcoder. It supports DTCP-IP. Take a look at those specs-
»www.arrisi.com/product_c ··· 4000.pdf
Streaming from your DVR over Ethernet, with up to 4 concurrent streams-

* Placeshift Live TV, recorded DVR content or on-demand/premium programming
* View inside and outside the home
* Receives DTCP-IP encrypted stream (MPEG-2, H.264, in up to full HD resolution) from set-top box or home gateway using DLNA
* Integrated studio approved content protection technology to stream to client
* Transcode to H.264 with adaptive bitrate up to 4 Live/DVR streams
* Maximum output resolution of content stream up to full HD 1080p
* Includes award-winning Sling technology

It should play well with the DCX3600

-nony

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Sounds exciting, not sure how many people would be using this though.

Hob
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

nony to PamelaTS

Premium Member

to PamelaTS

Re: [TV] DVR questions ??

said by PamelaTS:

TiVo also gives you access to YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, AmazonPrime and Vudu (those UltraBlue digital copies that come with some BluRay movie's. It also provides access to podcast and a host of other free streaming movie, news and other content.

The Plus and Pro also have a built in TiVo Stream allowing you to stream recorded programs to your mobile devices in and out of home with limitations.
Protected content can only stream on your home network, if you have an iOS device you can download that content deleting the DVR copy.

Lastly the TiVo is yours to keep upto 3TB storage simply by replacing the drive. Works with all digital cable providers. Don't lose your content when you move again.

PamelaTS, this looks like a great solution.

-nony
nony

4 edits

nony to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin

Re: DXC3600 + MS4000

said by hobgoblin:

Besides me? I guess the Slingbox crowd. And-

Perhaps WH subs
Dormitory students with parents on a budget
Business folks who spend a lot of time on the road
Global travelers
Snow Birds
Blackbirds
Grandparents on a fixed income
Supreme Court Justices from NY (and you know who you are)
Attorney Generals from NY

-nony

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by nony:

said by hobgoblin:

Besides me? I guess the Slingbox crowd. And perhaps WH subs.

-nony

I like my slingbox and so does my son in England

Hob

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

4 edits

Suit Up

said by hobgoblin:

I like my slingbox and so does my son in England

The advantage of this is that it won't require a digital to analog to digital conversion process and won't require having the output of a cable box dedicated to it. So if you have one DVR with multiple tuners, you can watch something on the TV it's plugged in to and use this device to stream something else at the same time (whether live or recorded) to a slingplayer.

The question is, what would TWC need to do to support this? It looks like you can buy one from cableproductsdirect.com (though not sure how reputable that place is, they don't seem to have a phone number or address listed which is usually a red flag). And the documentation says all you gotta do is connect it to the ethernet along with your DVR. Is there more to it than that when the DCX3600 already works over DLNA? Or does it need more than just DLNA to access the DVR?
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

2 edits

nony

Premium Member

said by Suit Up:

Is there more to it than that when the DCX3600 already works over DLNA?

It will likely require provisioning if an MSO decides to pick this up -
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· m/382701
»phx.corporate-ir.net/pho ··· =1950229

In the DCX3600 user guide, there are a few useful home gateway streaming scenarios, including the dependencies, leading me to believe that enhancements to the TWC TV app will support local streaming in the near term.
»arris.force.com/consumer ··· er-Guide

And I can't locate a DTCP-IP test tool, yet. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

-nony

p.s. TWC leads in CCAP platform deployment in NYC (a bit off topic)
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· p/389473

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
said by Suit Up:

The question is, what would TWC need to do to support this?

Define support?

Hob

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

said by hobgoblin:

Define support?

How about "What would TWC need to do to allow it to work with their DVRs?" Is that understandable?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by Suit Up:

How about "What would TWC need to do to allow it to work with their DVRs?" Is that understandable?

As a customer care manager the word "Support" means something different maybe to me than what it means to you. I am guessing it would mean activating the Ethernet port on the cable
box?

Hob
nony
Premium Member
New York, NY

nony to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
Arris already has a client for Android, which supports the MS4000-
»play.google.com/store/ap ··· mm&hl=en

Available features include:
Streaming of Live TV and recorded TV shows inside and outside the home (*)
(*) requires ARRIS MS4000™ Media Streamer

-nony