All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lazz
join:2015-02-03
Wantagh, NY

Lazz

[DVR] Got message about needing to replace DVR - anyone else?

I called into FIOS customer service today for an unrelated issue. When I verified my personal info, I got an automated message saying that one of my current DVRs would have to be replaced within the next 30 days.

Not sure why exactly I'm getting this message, although I will say that my DVR (7232) has been 'resetting itself' often lately, and maybe FIOS has noticed this?

Anyone else get this similar message? Oh, and If they did replace this DVR, would I get the exact same model, with the same storage??
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

I guess it's possible they would replace the 7232 with the new Arris box, but you won't get more storage activated unless you upgrade to Quantum.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to Lazz

to Lazz
I know about a year ago they started working on a system to alert you to hard drive issues/failures. My guess is that instead of alerting you directly, it puts a notation on your account so when you call that must trigger the alert.
nascar

nascar to Lazz

to Lazz
One of my DVR's had a hard drive issue and I went to swap it out I got another 7232 but they told me they are running really low.

So I wonder myself, if they run out of 7232's, can you get a Quantum DVR (no Quantum service) mixed with a 7232?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by nascar:

So I wonder myself, if they run out of 7232's, can you get a Quantum DVR (no Quantum service) mixed with a 7232?

I think someone said they can't be mixed when Quantum first came out.

PhoenixOne
join:2009-12-16
Old Bethpage, NY

PhoenixOne to Lazz

to Lazz
What baffles me is that they spend time and effort into developing and pushing out IMG 1.9.8 to 7xxx series boxes....only to be phasing them out.
*scratches head*

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to matcarl

to matcarl
So curious how they will address this as they run out of current legacy DVR's . 1. Force you to move to Quantum or 2. Allow Arris/Quantum DVR with a 7232 and no Quantum service so it is as you had it all along.
said by matcarl:

said by nascar:

I think someone said they can't be mixed when Quantum first came out.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

They will have to have you replace all your boxes, but you don't need to have Quantum service, it would act as a two tuner DVR like it does now.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to PhoenixOne

to PhoenixOne
Well the legacy footprint pales the Quantum footprint (for the time being) and the work on 1.9.7/8/9 will work its way to Quantum. There is a benefit to all customers this way.
said by PhoenixOne:

What baffles me is that they spend time and effort into developing and pushing out IMG 1.9.8 to 7xxx series boxes....only to be phasing them out.
*scratches head*

nascar

nascar to matcarl

to matcarl
Certainly makes sense as you can upgrade to Quantum at some point later without a hardware change.
said by matcarl:

They will have to have you replace all your boxes, but you don't need to have Quantum service, it would act as a two tuner DVR like it does now.

sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to Lazz

to Lazz
Well they are REALLY REALLY pushing hard for Quantum service adoption. My contract is running out and the ONLY discounts they are offering for me are if I were to "upgrade" to Quantum, which I'm not interested in doing. I'm quite happy with my generally-functional 7232 and external hard drive....

VzKid
@verizon.net

VzKid to nascar

Anon

to nascar
^^^^This

QuaffAPint
A Big Thanks To The Troops
join:2001-01-10
Downingtown, PA

QuaffAPint to sbernstein5

to sbernstein5
My contract ran out in Jan and they aren't offering any renewal discounts anymore. Even if I signed a new 2 yr contract the rate is the same as I pay now out of contract. Really weird how it varies account to account. But, yea, I'm the same - I'm fine with what I have now and dont want to pay even more.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy to sbernstein5

to sbernstein5
said by sbernstein5:

Well they are REALLY REALLY pushing hard for Quantum service adoption. My contract is running out and the ONLY discounts they are offering for me are if I were to "upgrade" to Quantum, which I'm not interested in doing. I'm quite happy with my generally-functional 7232 and external hard drive....

I've noticed the same thing, though I have a tivo (which I got months before quantum came out) because they were taking so long to make a multi room dvr.