join:2001-06-29

2 edits

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

[WIN10] Microsoft: The Journey To One Windows

quote:
March 26, 2015
Microsoft presentation talks about The Journey To One Windows

Microsoft has released a PowerPoint presentation that will help common users and developers understand how it is going to be with Windows 10. The initial slides suggest that there will be just one Windows 10 instead of Windows Home, Windows Student etc. There will be Windows 10 for device families instead of Home, Student, Pro etc versions.

»news.thewindowsclub.com/ ··· x337.jpg
Snapped 2015-03-27 08:01:09

The Journey To One Windows

Microsoft had hinted about Standard edition and Enterprise edition in its previous press notes. So we can expect that instead of Windows 10 Home edition or Pro edition, there will be Windows 10 for different device categories: IoT; mobile; PCs, etc. as described below.

The presentation suggest that Windows 10 will have six varients:

1. Devices and IoT (the bare minimum Windows 10 to support Internet of Things)
2. Windows phone (feature rich depending upon the type of hardware available)
3. Windows Standard for PCs, laptops, convertibles etc
4. Windows for Hololens
5. Windows for Xbox
6. Windows for Surface Hub, a huge screen that has multiple user input useful in meeting rooms and classrooms.

»news.thewindowsclub.com/ ··· x316.jpg
Snapped 2015-03-27 08:10:36

Read more @ »news.thewindowsclub.com/ ··· s-75293/

You can check the entire Microsoft presentation here using PowerPoint Online.
»view.officeapps.live.com ··· 1c1.pptx

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

One Windows to rule them all...

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

More like... One size fits nobody.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by trparky:

said by Blackbird:

+10000 Things like this always sound like a great idea but fall flat on their face when it comes to actually using them. Unless the six versions are actually very different software packages with the same name the final outcome seems doubtful.

I wonder what the features pack is going to be for the PC version? Considering the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows today have a very different feature package.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

said by Blackbird:

As I recall from the Lord of the Rings story-line, things didn't work out so well either, for the lower-level ring bearers...

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Gone Fishing

MVM

to Gone Fishing

The presentation suggest that Windows 10 will have six varients:

Horrible spelling aside, isn't this a contradiction in terms? It's not "One Windows" if there are ten different types of Windows 10.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 edit

2 recommendations

Cartel to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
Click for full size
pure garbage.

It's like someone put Homer Simpson in charge of M$

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

I've gone back to Windows 7 and believe it or not, because I don't have to hack the OS (Windows 8.1) into being something that it isn't (a desktop OS), it runs much better.

I'm not so sure if I'm going to be getting Windows 10 when it comes out. I may very well keep Windows 7 until it dies. What will I do when it dies? I have no idea. Maybe Linux will have gotten their act together by then or I'll just buy an Apple Mac. All I know is that I don't like the direction Windows 10 is going.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Gone Fishing

MVM

to Gone Fishing
I'll take the freebee,.....

For the most part anyway,...

I think I have over ten Windows 7 licenses and probably over five Windows 8 / 8.1 licenses. I have two dedicated Windows 7 Media Center systems that have special hardware that may not work well with Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 Media Center therefore I likely won't be able to upgrade them. However, all the other Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 licenses may find there way to Windows 10 licenses. I'm not sure yet but after seeing the details of the Windows 10 license I'll be better able to say.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

1 recommendation

digitalfutur to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
One Windows means a common codebase for apps, to the extent that the changes needed for cross-platform operability are minimal on the software side.

It doesn't mean there can't be different versions of Windows for different markets, a separate concept.