uniqs

phantasm11b
Premium Member
join:2007-11-02

phantasm11b

Premium Member

Sealing granite countertops

Good morning all,
I need to seal my Granite countertops and have not done it before. We've picked up some 511 Impregnator from Miracle Sealants (it was recommended) and I could just use some tips on how to seal the counters. We've been told to use an applicator or a spray bottle to apply it and then let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe it off.

Some other websites say not to use a spray bottle and yet others say not to use an applicator. Any info from someone who's done this before would be appreciated.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

1 recommendation

Liberty

Premium Member

A while back I got to observe an example of why it is important to seal granite counters.

I came on scene as homeowners & GC were doing battle.
Apparently counters were installed on a Friday.
Owners came by to inspect the work after hours, which had 8 1/2 x 11 brite orange signs taped every couple feet saying to not set ANYTHING on counters.
Owners left a sweating cold drink cup on a sign as if it was a coaster.
Monday morning there was a brite orange ring tattooed into the counter top.

Pher9999
join:2011-07-06
Saucier, MS

Pher9999 to phantasm11b

to phantasm11b
We just had a 3x5 slab installed today on an custom island I made. the guy used a spray bottle, and wiped it off with paper towels, he only said don't use ammonia cleaners. and apply again in a year.

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31
ARRIS BGW210-700

1 recommendation

techguyga to phantasm11b

Premium Member

to phantasm11b
Click for full size
Click for full size
I used SCI cleaner, spray sealer, and polish on mine when I bought the new house. It was recommended by the folks at "Big Orange". I cleaned with the cleaner and let everything dry for about 6 hours. Then I used the spray method per the bottle. When wiping the sealer off, I had to buff a good bit with a soft terry towel, so it took a little while and some elbow grease. Then I let everything dry/cure for about 24 hours, then finished everything off with the polish. I have a 7" buffer that I use for the car, and it really helped when removing the polish, and the polishing bonnet gave everything a beautiful shine.

This was around Christmas time, so the holiday decorations were out, but here is a quick picture that shows some of the results, and the products I used...

phantasm11b
Premium Member
join:2007-11-02

phantasm11b

Premium Member

I finally got some time to do the sealing. I used 511 Impregnator. Just poured some of it out and spread it out with a micro fiber cloth. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and then cleaned it off. So far it looks real nice. It has a minor texture to it but nothing bad. Any water or liquids just pool up on it now. I'll try and add a pic later on.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to techguyga

to techguyga
We use the same stuff. It was recommended to us by a granite dealer who has a huge factory here and supplies all over the Chicago suburbs. So Big Orange got it right.