Search similar:

uniqs

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

Likelihood of (666) ever becoming a valid NANPA area code...

According to NANPA, 666 is not assigned but is assignable, as an ERC (Easily Recognizable Code). However, given the negative stigma associated with 666, I doubt it will ever be assigned, no matter how crowded the area-code space becomes.

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this.

I'm asking with a very practical reason in mind.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

No, and they have denied Nevada their dearly desired 777 for the same reason.

cf:
»www.nanpa.com/area_codes/

Easily Recognizable Codes: When the second and third digits of an area code are the same, that code is called an easily recognizable code (ERC). ERCs designate special services; e.g., 888 for toll-free service.

N11: These (particular) 8 ERCs, called service codes, are not used as area codes.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

Righ, but they could allocate it as an ERC at some point in time.. I guess I probably should have asked clearer.. ie, what is the likliehood of it being valid as an ERC.

777 could at some point be allocated as an ERC too, which would collide with CallCentric's use of 1-777. I'm considering a similar use case for 1-666 and am curious if ppl think the negative connotation of 666 will keep NANPA from ever allocating it period (as an area code, an ERC, or anything else they might think of later)
phonesimon
join:2014-10-08
Pennsylvania

phonesimon

Consider using 1-700 instead: »www.nanpa.com/faq/sitefaq.html item 55

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
Hmmm! Another Area Code curiosity.

In looking down the currently active AC list ...
»www.nanpa.com/enas/geoAr ··· eport.do

and those planned but not yet in service ...
»www.nanpa.com/enas/plann ··· eport.do

and non-geographic codes currently in service ...
»www.nanpa.com/enas/nonGe ··· eport.do

I find a total absence of any Code showing a middle digit '9' (X9X); e.g., 297, 591, 994, etc.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by N9MD:

I find a total absence of any Code showing a middle digit '9' (X9X); e.g., 297, 591, 994, etc.

said by »www.nanpa.com/area_codes ··· dex.html :

N9X
The 80 codes in this format, called expansion codes, have been reserved for use during the period when the current 10-digit NANP number format undergoes expansion.

WowoW
@verizon.net

WowoW to arpawocky

Anon

to arpawocky
said by arpawocky:

According to NANPA, 666 is not assigned but is assignable, as an ERC (Easily Recognizable Code). However, given the negative stigma associated with 666, I doubt it will ever be assigned, no matter how crowded the area-code space becomes.

It's only a matter of time. NWO and all that 'stuff. Add another layer to the tinfoil
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

1 recommendation

Fisamo to arpawocky

Premium Member

to arpawocky
Considering that 666 has been used as a valid CO code in (at least one--grin) state for over 35 years, I'm sure it will be an area code eventually. Newington, CT : 860-666-xxxx; was around in the days that 203 was the only area code in the state, long before any concern regarding exhaust of available phone numbers.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to Arne Bolen

Premium Member

to Arne Bolen
said by Arne Bolen:

said by N9MD:

said by »www.nanpa.com/area_codes ··· dex.html :

N9X
The 80 codes in this format, called expansion codes, have been reserved for use during the period when the current 10-digit NANP number format undergoes expansion.

That'll teach me to set my screen view 'zoom' to 150% so I can read the 'small print in TOSes.

I didn't see the bottom of the page you referenced ... even though my three referenced pages were accessed through your referenced page.

Meanwhile, how does this N9X 'expansion' info impact 'expansion'?

I thought that 'expansion' implies NANPA eventually going to 12-digit DIDs ... simply adding a '0' to the end of every existing NANPA DID ... 1-201-555-1212 becomes 1-201-555-12120 ... with new 12-digit DIDs ending in '1', '2', etc. ... e.g., 1-201-555-12121.

Arne Bolen
Premium Member
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by N9MD:

I thought that 'expansion' implies NANPA eventually going to 12-digit DIDs ... simply adding a '0' to the end of every existing NANPA DID ... 1-201-555-1212 becomes 1-201-555-12120 ... with new 12-digit DIDs ending in '1', '2', etc. ... e.g., 1-201-555-12121.

My guess is that the current three-digit area codes at some point may be changed to four-digit area codes.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD

Premium Member

said by Arne Bolen:

My guess is that the current three-digit area codes at some point may be changed to four-digit area codes.

... which would negate the need for N9X 'expansion' since X9N is still only 3 digits, and would allow only a relatively small number of new area codes while maintaining the current 11-digit format. This would limit the number of new DIDs that could be added to the system.

A 4-digit area code --- or --- adding an 11th digit (NPA-NXX-XXXXX) to the end of a DID would not depend on the N9X. The latter would add close to 9 billion new DIDs (if my math is correct). It's too early in the morning here to calculate how many new DIDs would result from the former (4-digit AC).

By the way, Arne, it just dawned on me (as dawn is approaching in Boca Raton ) why my 6am post got such a quick response from you ... it's your 'old world' location.

Arne Bolen
Premium Member
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by N9MD:

adding an 11th digit (NPA-NXX-XXXXX) to the end of a DID would not depend on the N9X.

Personally I would prefer a zero being added to the end of my DID, giving me a phone number ending with five zeros. Changing my area code from 781 to 7981 would OTOH make my nice phone number less attractive.

However, changing 800 possible 3-digit area codes must be so much easier compared to changing thousands of numbers on exchanges. My bet is on 4-digit area codes.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

N9MD

Premium Member

N9X

Yep! Simply maintaining three digit A/Cs won't help ...

N      9      X
... allowed numbers     2-9    9     0-9   in the respective positions
... yielding multipier      8  x  1  x  10  =  80
                                                           - 1   for disallowed A/C999
                                                           79    available 3-digit area codes

My point is that the idea of reserving N9X for future expansion was somewhat short-sighted and is now outdated as a means of keeping up with DID assignments ... since these additional 3-digit A/Cs would be consumed quickly over the next 10 years or so.

Although NANPA could certainly put these A/Cs to use over the next few years, the rate of consumption of new DIDs in the world region covered by the "1" country code will ultimately demand adding an extra digit somewhere. And as you stated ... but not necessarily for your self-serving rationale ... the more sensible approach appears to be that of adding a final "0" to existing numbers ... and to begin issuing new 12-digit DIDs (including the leading "1").

Incidentally, as soon as 12-digit numbering/dialing is announced, I'll be buying loads of NYSE/ASE/NASDAQ/OTC stocks in the paper production and commercial printing industries ... given the new stationery and envelopes and business cards and print advertising that will be needed.
bw5745
join:2014-03-14

bw5745

Adding a digit at the end is problematic. Every new number issued would match an existing number in the first 10 digits. It would make much more sense to change all NXX to N9XX. You know right away that you need to dial old 10 digit numbers with the new 9. After everyone is used to the new system, you can start releasing new N[1 to 8, or 0]XX area codes with no conflict.

I think this style of number expansion has been used in other countries.
doc
join:2014-08-16

doc to N9MD

to N9MD
said by N9MD:

My point is that the idea of reserving N9X for future expansion was somewhat short-sighted and is now outdated as a means of keeping up with DID assignments ... since these additional 3-digit A/Cs would be consumed quickly over the next 10 years or so.

Unless they use it as a transitionary mechanism, rather than just a new area code.

ie, Area code 456 becomes area code 4956. Both run in parallel for a time (which can happen as there's guaranteed to be no conflicts), then 456 is deprecated. Eventually other 4 digits area codes (without the second digit being 9) can be allocated. That said, appending 0 or 1 to the end of the existing 3 digit codes could probably achieve much the same thing.
mdseuss
join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA

mdseuss to arpawocky

to arpawocky

Re: Likelihood of (666) ever becoming a valid NANPA area code...

I'm glad that someone had the good sense to assign exchange 978-666 to Salem MA ... while they were available on Google Voice, I grabbed one.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by mdseuss:

I'm glad that someone had the good sense to assign exchange 978-666 to Salem MA....

Area code 321 originally was going to be assigned to Chicago, but Robert Osband in Florida led a successful campaign to get it assigned to Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center area (as in 3-2-1-Liftoff).

But Chicago later got 872 which spells USA, so that's good too.

-----

In a similar light, the fact of Interstate "76" starting at Philadelphia was quite deliberate.
Fisamo
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Apex, NC

Fisamo to N9MD

Premium Member

to N9MD

Re: N9X

The idea of keeping the second digit of 9 reserved was, as I understand it, for switching equipment. Defining "M" as 0-8, any pattern of NMX-XXX-XXXX, the switching equipment would know to ignore anything after 10 digits. If a pattern of N9X-XXX-XXXX were detected, the switching equipment would automatically know that the number was incomplete.

All because, unlike cell phones, you don't press a "send" button when you dial a number - numbers are transmitted to the switching equipment (on an analog line) one digit at a time.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to arpawocky

to arpawocky

Re: Likelihood of (666) ever becoming a valid NANPA area code...

Here's a thought I've had for several years now.

Why does the US/Canada share the area code system anyways?

If each country had their own full set of area codes wouldn't we be nowhere near capacity at this point? Make the US country code 1 and Canada can be 2 and things are good to go right?

NefCanuck
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by NefCanuck:

If each country had their own full set of area codes wouldn't we be nowhere near capacity at this point? Make the US country code 1 and Canada can be 2 and things are good to go right?

But we love you guys.

Seriously, if there are countries that should be separated from the "1" North American Dial Plan it should be:

Bermuda, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, the Bahamas, Barbados, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Dominica, the Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, Sint Maarten, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and Turks & Caicos.

See also:
»www.lincmad.com/caribbean.html

By the way, country codes starting with "2" generally go with the continent of Africa, for example Egypt 20, South Africa 27, Nigeria 234, although there are exceptions such as Aruba (297).
doc
join:2014-08-16

doc to NefCanuck

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

Make the US country code 1 and Canada can be 2 and things are good to go right?

That would shed maybe 10% of the numbers in use (based on Canada having a population of around 10% of the US), which would make no difference to the bigger picture.

Plus country code "2" is already used (as the first digit of several other country codes), however I'm sure the Canadians would be happy with one of the available free codes like +978.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to NefCanuck

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

Hmm, Canada has currently only 38 area codes. I don't see how not having those it would make a big difference for USA.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to N9MD

to N9MD

Re: N9X

said by N9MD:

Although NANPA could certainly put these A/Cs to use over the next few years, the rate of consumption of new DIDs in the world region covered by the "1" country code will ultimately demand adding an extra digit somewhere.

Off course, we do not know how the political decisions will look like and based on that, how fast the US/Can population will grow, but based on current situation i do not see the need for that for very many years to come. Here in SE FL, the predictions of necessity to ad more area codes did not come through in spite of very steep population growth. Just about everyone around here has a cell phone, the growth of mobile subscribers comes here largely from tablet etc users and unlike us VOiP freaks, most people do not need a dozen DIDs. Hopefully also businesses will start to understand that fax is a 20th century technology and start dropping it, freeing additional numbers.
Also, one day area codes may become obsolete, freeing a large number of additional number combinations. So my belief is that we will be fine with 10 digits for years to come.