All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Phasers
join:2011-03-17

Phasers

I'm back! ASA 5510 / 2GB RAM / 2.8Ghz Proc

So, I posted here four years ago (wow! Can't believe it's been that long) about my ASA 5510 Sec Plus that I had upgraded the processor and RAM.

Well today we changed our ISP so I had to occasion to finally log into the unit again, and I am pleased to report it is still going strong. No issues at all with the P4 2.8Ghz or the fact that I am running 2GB (2 x 1GB) of RAM, even though technically the 5510 does not support more than 1GB.

Running ASA 8.4(1) and ASDM 6.4(1). I don't have a smartnet contract so if anyone knows where I can get later software I would love to hear about it. If not, happy to answer any questions you guys might have about my setup.

Tasks to do in the near future:
Migrate Internet from port 3 to port 0 and enable gigabit.
Test and see if hardware upgrades have made my ASA able to handle more than published throughout of 300Mbit/sec.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Legitimately remains as it has always been... via smartnet.
Illegitimate means... I'll leave to your own devices and efforts.

I'm wondering about the speed limit as well... I want to say the architecture of the 5510
the two GigEs is split across two seperate PCI buses, but I think I'm out to lunch on that one.

My 00000010bits

Regards
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to Phasers

MVM

to Phasers
At near future, you may need to upgrade the ASA firewall unit as well; depending the work load requirement and Cisco support needed
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

5510 is already EOL If it's under contract, you can renew it for another ~3 years.
HELLFIRE
MVM

2 edits

HELLFIRE to Phasers

MVM

to Phasers
said by HELLFIRE:

the architecture of the 5510 the two GigEs is split across two seperate PCI buses, but I think I'm out to lunch on that one.

...yeah, I'm out to lunch on that... see this block diagram

So in which case it looks like if you remove the limiter in the CPU, the next one is the bus itself. I want to say ASA uses PCI (133Mbyte/sec) but I think I'm wrong on that... do let us know what your testing shows, I'm quite interested!

Should also add Cisco had this blurb about maximizing throughput on the 5550 -- don't see why it wouldn't apply to the 5510 as well..

My 00000010bits

Regards
Phasers
join:2011-03-17

Phasers to aryoba

to aryoba
It is a small business with less than 50 employees. To be honest I don't even know why we have an ASA really. It predates my time with the compant. Probably the same reason we have a dedicated print server and dedicated FTP server. Hardware salesman wanted to make money.

I'm going to mess with the configuration this weekend during non production hours. Wish there was a way to copy the complete config from one interface to another.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to Phasers

MVM

to Phasers
How fast is the internet pipe, if you don't mind me asking?

Back up the config to a text file, then copy/paste transplant the interface config accordingly...

Regards
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to Phasers

MVM

to Phasers
said by Phasers:

Wish there was a way to copy the complete config from one interface to another.

If the ASA is not setup for automatic configuration backup (which it should), a simple copy paste from show running-config output to your text editor would do.