spc
Search similar:

uniqs

H20Skr
join:2001-01-16
Yorba Linda, CA

H20Skr

U-Verse Phone Question

We're considering upgrading our old 3.0 DSL to 12 or 18 Mbps U-Verse. We're also considering bundling the U-Verse phone. We're curious how the call quality is with this service. Also is it dependable? Thanks
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet

Premium Member

Same as POTS. Never had it go out unless the power did...for 4 or more hours...
BleedingEdge
join:2014-07-14
Beverly Hills, CA
ARRIS SB6190
Netgear R8000

BleedingEdge to H20Skr

to H20Skr
The Call Quality is very similar, some users have reported clearer call quality assuming the internal wiring of the home is in excellent condition. I have encountered conditions where inside wiring had begun to corrode and break down causing shorts, static, dropped calls, etc. When VoIP is correctly configured and has a clean path to your phones, the increased call quality is better in my opinion., I believe I was told that U-verse VoIP is allocated around 500 Kbps down and upstream for the highest bit-rate call quality, and it is always improving.

The biggest downside, to me, is that U-verse Voice requires a BBU (Battery Back-up Unit) that is either Internal (NVG 589/599 Gateway) or External (All others) and the battery lasts only around 3-4 hours as Secyurityet stated, after that, you lose all services completely.

Bundling U-verse Internet and VoIP over DSL and POTS will end up saving you around $30-40 monthly if you do decide to switch over though; an offer that is really hard to pass up to most customers I've encountered.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to H20Skr

to H20Skr
said by H20Skr:

We're also considering bundling the U-Verse phone.

I am moving to an apartment where Uverse including Uverse phone is available. I have discussed the differences between a POTS line and Uverse phone with an AT&T CSR and found the following differences:

Usage prices are charged differently. POTS line has a local calling area where all calls are unlimited and included in the monthly fee. Outside of that area toll charges apply so you need to subscribe to an additional charge long distance plan that makes sense. Uverse phone offers a 200 Minute plan and an unlimited plan. According to the CSR I spoke to, there is no local calling area with unlimited local usage. With the 200 minute plan once you exceed your 200 minute monthly allocation for all calls there is a per minute usage charge. The rate structure more resembles a cellular usage plan than a POTS rate format.

Uverse reliability is much lower if there is a power failure since your service remains up until the battery in the RG discharges. A POTS line is powered by the central office or batteries in the remote terminal. Central office power is essentially unlimited while the batteries in the remote terminal are sized for about 12 Hours of backup. Furthermore the terms of service for Uverse phone indicates that AT&T does not guarantee it will be compatible with services like Burglar Alarm Panels, FAX Machines, Life Alert or medical equipment, like a heart monitor that has a device to call a monitoring station via a POTS line to report the patients status.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK

jimkyle

Premium Member

said by Mr Matt:

Furthermore the terms of service for Uverse phone indicates that AT&T does not guarantee it will be compatible with services like Burglar Alarm Panels, FAX Machines, Life Alert or medical equipment, like a heart monitor that has a device to call a monitoring station via a POTS line to report the patients status.

True, the TOS gets them off the hook, but I've had my phone service changed over for 15 months now and I still send/receive faxes, my alarm system still works exactly as it did before, and my CareLink heart monitor behaves exactly as it did with POTS. By switching over my phone, Internet, and TV to the Uverse bundle I shaved more than $100 from my monthly bills.

Only major complaint is that a few of our favorite TV channels, that were on DirecTV, aren't available any more.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to H20Skr

to H20Skr
Does the U-Verse RG deliver a loop voltage of -48, or is -24? The latter may cause you issues.

gerick
join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX
Google Wifi
Obihai OBi200

gerick to H20Skr

to H20Skr
Once you get used to VOIP (which is what U-verse Phone is), you might consider going to another provider. I ported my number from U-verse Phone to »www.voip.ms/ where I now pay 1 cent per minute (200 minutes usage is only $2). If you don't use your home phone much, then your phone bill will be like mine: $25/year.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to rtfm

Premium Member

to rtfm
said by rtfm:

Does the U-Verse RG deliver a loop voltage of -48, or is -24? The latter may cause you issues.

I have never really checked but I'm assuming it's the same as a POTS line because everything we've ever tried worked the same. We've used fax, modem, alarm system, various types of phones, etc. and haven't had a problem with any of them.

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm to gerick

to gerick
WhatHeSaid re: VOIP.ms; I have friends with same.

Do however, determine if you pay for incoming minutes as well as outgoing.

gerick
join:2001-01-17
San Antonio, TX
Google Wifi
Obihai OBi200

gerick

Yes, you do pay for incoming (termination) and outgoing (origination) minutes.

But the beauty of VoIP is that it is so configurable. Origination and Termination are separate services and don't have to be the same. I have my ATA set to default termination to Google Voice, and origination to Google Voice and voip.ms.

In other words, all outgoing calls (by default, can be overridden by dialing prefix) use Google Voice and are totally free. Incoming calls in Google Voice are free, I pay per minute for incoming calls using voip.ms. (And since voip.ms bills in 6 second intervals, that 30 second call is 1/2 a cent, not a whole penny.)

Of course any Voip provider will have flat rate unlimited minutes also. The point is, after paying ATT $20/month for voip, look at your usage and shop around.

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm

I'm not disagreeing here; just want readers to know all the facts & avoid surprises...

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel to rtfm

Premium Member

to rtfm
said by rtfm:

It's usually -48v, though I have seen a few malfunctioning rg's output -96v.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet

Premium Member

said by Mr Fel:

I have seen a few malfunctioning rg's output -96v.

That's shocking!
Uverse guy
join:2015-03-20
Carrollton, TX

Uverse guy

This response is electrifying!