Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Option to "avoid poor WiFi"

The Comcast blog had this little note about how to improve Wifi:
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· an-event

Hack #3 is this:
quote:
3. Avoid poor Wi-Fi connections. This tip is just for you Android users out there. Deep in the Android Wi-Fi settings menu there is an option to "avoid poor connections." This setting tells your phone not to connect to Wi-Fi networks that don't have very strong signal strength, saving you from that hassle of thinking you're connected only to find that you're still unable to connect.
I have a Moto G Gen 2 running Lollipop 5.02, and don't see any obvious option. Is there one buried elsewhere, or maybe it's a KitKat and older option?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

Re: Option to "avoid poor WiFi"

My S3 does not have it - the Wifi menu is not that deep.

Note - my phone is via Verizon and not rooted.

bbrcat
Remembering Lisa...
MVM
join:2000-12-09
FL

bbrcat to andyross

MVM

to andyross
On my Droid Maxx...
Wi-Fi>sub menu>advanced>"Avoid poor connections"
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Found it right there on my Droid Turbo running 4.4.4. Interestingly, mine was already enabled

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

I think it's KK and older. 5.x already does this by default.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

1 recommendation

burner50 to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

I found something in Advanced WiFi options. It was labeled "Automatically disconnect from poor connections", on my LGG3 5.0.1 Stock

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
Best way to avoid bad wifi connection is to use 5GHZ wifi

802.11a/n

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
I cannot find that setting under WiFi > Advanced on my S4 running 4.4.4.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Click for full size
I don't see anything on mine.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

Johkal

MVM

My Sony Xperia Z3v has it.

Avoid poor connections
Don't use Wi-Fi network unless it has a good Internet connection

Edit: For ref. running 4.4.4
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

Best way to avoid bad wifi connection is to use 5GHZ wifi

802.11a/n

Poor in the sense of crowded connection sure switch to 5 GHz but that's not what this option is about. This option is about being connected but not being close enough to "really" be connected (you're basically at the upper limits of it's range). It'll still show you are connected but it won't actually have an internet connection.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
My Note 4 doesn't. Boo.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I came from a Note 2. I'm very surprised the 4 doesn't have it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Well it has the network switch where it will hop between 2.4 and 5 WiFi as well as cellular. Maybe that is their rendition.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

TouchWiz just may not have it.
WJThomas
join:2014-10-15
Largo, FL

WJThomas to andyross

to andyross
The problem with this suggestion is when you are on the fringe of the range of your home WiFi and the phone decides to avoid it due to poor signal. Later when you are in range your phone will still refuse to connect because the SSID is on the avoid list. At times I have had to have the phone forget the connection and re-establish so that I could connect. It is a good idea, but spoiled by a poor implementation. That said the current Android versions may have the kinks worked out...
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
If so many people want that feature and looking for some option, I think it tells us, that there is a problem (bug?) in mechanism how Android handles its WiFi connections. If phone makes connection, but it's unable to communicate properly - why to make that connection in the first place? (and that's the essence of the bug)

Personally, I don't need that option. I can't even define what is "poor WiFi". But I want my phone to make sustainable connections all the time and do it automatically.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

It's no different than any other device that uses WiFi. It's not a bug. Laptops will search and find networks that have weak signals and try to connect if you allow it. Poor WiFi is simply a weak signal.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

Did I say it's anyhow different from any other device, that uses WiFi?

And second. On some devices algorithm that decides when to establish connection (or not) obviously picks wrong level of signal as workable one (while it's not). The bug is in the threshold that was set in that algorithm. It should be higher to allow only sustainable connections.

Options exist to choose between only workable functionality. The option you want would allow user to choose between picking a low level of WiFi signal, that doesn't provide sustainable connection, and picking a higher level, that does exactly that. Now, why anyone would need to set that option to pick a low level signal and be unable to use WiFi as expected? Obviously, no one would want that. Thus, there is no option...

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

Johkal

MVM

"I think it tells us, that there is a problem (bug?) in mechanism how Android handles its WiFi connections."

With that statement you are implying Android is different than other devices.

Any way, this isn't complicated. I like the option on my phone to ignore weak networks.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

As you well know even within Android OS WiFi implementations are different (some offer the option, while others do not). So, what's your point then?
said by Johkal:

It's no different than any other device that uses WiFi.