spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ash
@rr.com

1 recommendation

Ash

Anon

[Internet] What 16x4 modems are being sent by TWC to leased customers?

Don't have money to blow up front right now and I need an upgrade. Was wondering what modems they are sending, specifically the WiFi/Modems. I know the list of approved modems but that is not an indicator of what they are sending, correct?

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

1 recommendation

OpTiC

Premium Member

The only 2 modems TWC are leasing out for 16x4 is the Arris DG1670 for internet only or the Arris TG1672 Phone and internet customers.

Ash
@rr.com

Ash

Anon

Thanks!

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224 to Ash

to Ash
currently there are:

Everywhere
Arris
-DG1670 - Data Only
-TG1672 - VOIP

Kansas City for now
Ubee
-DDW36C - Data Only
-DVW32CB - VOIP
joeb99
join:2010-03-18

joeb99

The new Ubees are also in parts of Texas, as well as the new Technicolor TC8715D & TC8717T (eMTA).
thorin
join:2007-11-08
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

thorin to anon_5224

to anon_5224
said by anon_5224:

Kansas City for now
Ubee
-DDW36C - Data Only
-DVW32CB - VOIP

No Ubee 16 Channel modems in KC yet. That will be coming soon along with the Technicolor.

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state

anon_5224

OP didnt ask about 16 channel bonding having gone live, just which modems were being deployed.
thorin
join:2007-11-08
Kansas City, MO

thorin

edited.. None of DDW36C or DVW32CB are in KC yet. Was not referring to bonding.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

The only 2 modems TWC are leasing out for 16x4 is the Arris DG1670 for internet only or the Arris TG1672 Phone and internet customers.

The Arris DG1670 is NOT a modem. It is a GATEWAY. No sane user would accept a gateway instead of a modem and a user purchased router.

I cannot believe TWC is not renting MODEMS only for MAXX.
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

switchman

said by Mele20:

The Arris DG1670 is NOT a modem. It is a GATEWAY. No sane user would accept a gateway instead of a modem and a user purchased router.

Actually from TWC and a large portion of the user-bases perspective it is a good ideal. Most people do not know how to set up a router, nor do they want to. By TWC providing the router function also, they can ensure service is good to the client hand-off. If there is any potential issue that their is an issue with the hardware you swap it out.

This saves support cost on TWC part. I think with the $8 charge a month though, more people will be purchasing their own modem. As far as not not renting a modem for MAXX, it makes perfect sense. The less variation in equipment they have, the easier it is to support and maintain.

Do you not think there are built in tools that can test the line from the customer premise. The SB6183 now includes a spectrum analyzer function that is user accessible. You can tell a lot about the quality of the line by that tool alone. Is it 100% accurate and and flexible as a standalone analyzer? No it is not, but it is good enough for basic trouble shooting. If you were a TWC tech and knew the plant layout, you could sit in an office and access the SA function at various points along the route and look for interference and noise issues all without a truck-roll. Once you spot the area with an issue, you can dispatch a tech to the correct area to find the source of the problem and fix it. The deployment of these tools in the last mile/customer premise opens the door for automated testing which could be done on a proactive basis. This would save TWC money and provide a better service to the customer which would keep them satisfied.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No one, like in most threads here, has provided any proof to the main assertion. In this thread that assertion is that TWC is forcing everyone on MAXX to purchase their own modem if they already have their own router(s).

The ONLY reason TWC would suddenly do something like this is an ominous one. Comcast told them to do it. Comcast forces its wishes (with no opt out) on its users who rent gateways instead of either renting a modem and their own router or owning both a modem a router. They can't do that if the user has their own router (preferably set up with third party firmware).

I don't know how providing a gateway instead of a modem would save TWC money. When I upgraded from 15/1 to 20/2, August 2013 Oceanic told me they had to come out to set everything up. They said they had to come out because I was moving from the 5100 Surfboard to a DOCSIS 3 modem. They said it was required for anyone moving above standard 15/1 speed. That would mean everyone when MAXX arrives. Now maybe it is no longer necessary to send someone out when moving from 15.1, I don't know....but I couldn't see why it was necessary then. Oceanic tried to foist one of those gateways on me back then even though I had requested a 6141 modem only. I took one look at the piece of garbage and wouldn't let them set anything up. The next day, I returned that junk and got the 6141 at the office and no one came out. I hooked it up.

I haven't complained about builtin tools. Where did you get that idea? The Surfboard 6183 is a modem not a gateway. I am taking issue with people in this thread asserting that TWC is going to recall, for new MAXX users, all rented modems including the 6183 and force them to only rent gateways! You have brought up something that is not relevant to the question here.
joeb99
join:2010-03-18

joeb99

If a customer has their own router then TWC can bridge the modem.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

In this thread that assertion is that TWC is forcing everyone on MAXX to purchase their own modem if they already have their own router(s).
I am taking issue with people in this thread asserting that TWC is going to recall, for new MAXX users, all rented modems including the 6183 and force them to only rent gateways!

Nobody but you has ever said TWC is going to force rented gateways on everyone or even just people with their own router. I don't know where you got those ideas. They just aren't true.

Plenty of people with Maxx have their own modems or gateways. Plenty of people with Maxx have rented gateways in bridge mode with their own router.

Comcast's policies are similar. Users can buy their own equipment or have rented gateways put into bridge mode.

HPC
@comcast.net

HPC to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

...No one, like in most threads here, has provided any proof to the main assertion. In this thread that assertion is that TWC is forcing everyone on MAXX to purchase their own modem if they already have their own router(s).

I see the 'assertion' as the title states - "What 16x4 modems are being sent by TWC to leased customers?" see NO reference to TWC forcing everyone on MAXX to purchase their own modem... could have missed that however.
said by Mele20:

The ONLY reason TWC would suddenly do something like this is an ominous one. Comcast told them to do it. Comcast forces its wishes (with no opt out) on its users who rent gateways instead of either renting a modem and their own router or owning both a modem a router

Since I am a Comcast customer, would be interested in seeing when/where "Comcast has forced its wishes (with no opt out)" on me. Being a TWC customer, have you evidence this happens to all Comcast customers? specifically, when did Comcast force its wishes on me? (since I use my own purchased modem and multiple owned routers).
said by Mele20:

I am taking issue with people in this thread asserting that TWC is going to recall, for new MAXX users, all rented modems including the 6183 and force them to only rent gateways!

I obviously missed where ANYONE said that TWC is going to recall all rented modems including the 6183 and force them to rent gateways!" Could you direct me to that post?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

It is a lot easier for them to support as few devices as possible. Both the DG1670 and the TG1672G can be put in Bridged Mode, which essentially makes them a modem. And as others have said, it is a lot easier to support things like wireless networking if they have control over the unit.

It's also marketing: They can now say they offer their internet with wireless networking etc, etc.... which is a bit harder to do with just a modem.
maartena

maartena to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The ONLY reason TWC would suddenly do something like this is an ominous one. Comcast told them to do it.

Although I am very much against the merger with Comcast, I think you are getting paranoid with that statement. A merger like that doesn't rise or fall with the type of modems they offer to their customers.

I don't know how providing a gateway instead of a modem would save TWC money.

Because buying 300,000 gateways in a massive contract deal might actually be cheaper then buying 150,000 gateways and 150,000 modems. Bulk deals get very lucrative when you talk those kinds of numbers.