uniqs
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Air Canada AC624 crash lands in Halifax, at least 23 sent to hospital

Power lines are down on the south side of Halifax Stanfield International Airport near the spot where an Air Canada Airbus A320 plane crash landed early Sunday morning, sending 23 people to hospital.

Passengers on board flight AC624 from Toronto to Halifax say the plane hit a power line and electricity to the airport was down for more than hour, however an airport spokesman says he cannot confirm it was related to the crash landing.

Photos posted by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada show the aircraft lying on its belly. The nose is torn from the plane and there's debris by the wing....

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· .3013979

Also:
»www.smh.com.au/world/air ··· mtt.html

Some passengers said that they were made to stand outside in the snow for an hour.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

As I read the reports on various aviation web sites I get the feeling this pilot is going
to have trouble hanging onto his job. He's the captain....it's his call to land or divert.

FaxCap

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
My daughter, who is 5 months pregnant, was on that flight. Pretty scary to hear this at 12.30 am.
She was taken to the hospital and check out. She is shaken but her and baby are ok. She is home in Halifax recovering.

Apparently a YUL to YHZ flight attempted to land at Halifax earlier but ending up returning to Montreal.

It seems the pilot should have diverted to Moncton.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Glad to hear your daughter and baby are ok!!!

On a few sites it's saying he was given the option to divert to Moncton. Should be
interesting to see the how the investigators rule on this.

FaxCap

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to joeblow3

to joeblow3
It's great to hear your daughter and future grandchild are okay.

Here's a couple of pictures from Twitter. One is a Google Street View of the runway lights at the foot of runway 05, and the other is a picture from this morning. It looks like the plane fell short of the runway, bounced off the hill, and took out the lights.

horsey
@eastlink.ca

horsey to joeblow3

Anon

to joeblow3
said by joeblow3:

My daughter, who is 5 months pregnant, was on that flight. Pretty scary to hear this at 12.30 am.
She was taken to the hospital and check out. She is shaken but her and baby are ok. She is home in Halifax recovering.

Apparently a YUL to YHZ flight attempted to land at Halifax earlier but ending up returning to Montreal.

It seems the pilot should have diverted to Moncton.

Glad she and expected are ok.
They are calling it a hard landing...For insurance purposes I think it was a crash.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to joeblow3

Premium Member

to joeblow3
Scary stuff, glad she and the rest of the passengers and crew made it.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
The TSB held a press conference confirming the plane took out some power lines across Old Guysborough Road before hitting the embankment and taking out the ILS/landing lights, 335 meters short of runway 05.

An investigator even said the people on the flight were "pretty lucky" the incident wasn't more serious than it was.

Now comes the long part: figuring out what the heck happened here.

Twitter images by CBC's Brett Ruskin. »twitter.com/Brett_CBC
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

I've read one account that said the airport was running on backup power BEFORE the crash.

If that's true, perhaps some of the red warning lights on some poles were not lit??

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
I wonder if the relatively light damage and low injury count, considering they actually hit an embankment before flopping onto the runway, was actually helped by the huge amount of snow already on the ground. It cushioned the impact of the plane hitting the hill before the runway and essentially let it "slide on over" like a big sled. Had it been dry bare ground I think this incident might have been much much worse.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Considering what the plane hit I am amazed that it didn't break up and burst into flames, I think you are right, without the snow it would have been a BBQ.

This could be one of the most "lucky" air crashes of all time.

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to horsey

Premium Member

to horsey
said by horsey :

They are calling it a hard landing...For insurance purposes I think it was a crash.

They can call it what they want, but everyone knows it wasn't a hard landing. You don't lose wheels, engines or large parts of the plane with just a hard landing! Not to mention, the plane was completely immobilized.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
The Pilot probably made a judgment call. He always asks condition of runway, current weather conditions etc. prior to making the decision. He was probably told it was a go.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Rest assured it wont be a fly by night investigation and it will be fully reported. (not being run by the PMs office LOL)

joeblow3
join:2000-12-27
h0h0h0

joeblow3 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Reporting this morning is saying it landed 1,100 feet before the start of the runway then skidded for another 1,100 feet on the runway.

Certainly not a hard landing. It was a crash on landing.

NB: Daughter is doing fine this morning albeit very sore, bump on the head and cut on the elbow, ultrasound went good and all is fine...whew.

Bill
joeblow3

joeblow3 to capdjq

to capdjq
and more than likely the end of the pilot's career.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav

Premium Member

I think its premature to comment on the pilotS as there were two at the helm.
Only after the investigation will they be able to determine what information the pilots had at their disposal and the decision sequence made. I see this as more likely a retraining scenario for both as a minimum. I will hazard a guess that they are both shaken by the ordeal as much as the passengers.. they have to face their colleagues their families and the passengers especially the ones that are hurt. What remains to be proven is if there is a degree of incompetence/negligence that cannot be fixed by retraining or would have many pilots followed the same chain of mistakes...........
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Passengers contacting law firms as crash landing investigation continues

»www.news957.com/2015/03/ ··· ntinues/

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Interesting. According to one passenger, it seems the flight crew tried to initiate a go-around, indicating they realised they were coming in short.

I'm interested in finding out if the auto-pilot was programmed to rely on the ground radar for the approach altitude instead of the ILS beacon. This wouldn't be the first time a plane was fooled into believing it was higher than it actually was. That's how Poland lost one of its presidents.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

Passengers contacting law firms as crash landing investigation continues

»www.news957.com/2015/03/ ··· ntinues/

More likely and what I heard on the news it was the other way around. Law firms went after passengers like vultures. :-(

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
Turns out the orange rake like things are part of the runway localizer, it interacts with instrumentation in the cockpit which allows pilots to see the centre-line of the runway without actually seeing it out the window. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Localizer

The plane took them out as it bellyflopped along, NP had a overhead drawing of the crash site, the plane made contact with the ground over 300 m short of the runway. »news.nationalpost.com/ne ··· rt-says/

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Those ones were for approaches from the other end of the runway. The orange towers-arrays for that landing were on the far side. In any case they would have been useless at that point LOL.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

It seems from the location the plane hit the ground the pilots didn't seem to be making use of them before the crash.

Speaking of Air Canada, looks like this will be another case of them damaging luggage.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

I'm interested in finding out if the auto-pilot was programmed to rely on the ground radar for the approach altitude instead of the ILS beacon. This wouldn't be the first time a plane was fooled into believing it was higher than it actually was. That's how Poland lost one of its presidents.

You mean the crash in Russia?

-----

Was also the plot of one of those DieHard-type movies where criminals take over an airport's equipment to deliberately crash a plane by manipulating the altitude readings.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Yep, that one.

I've just listened to a radio interview on CBC with retired pilot and Transport Canada inspector Jock Williams.

Runway 05 does NOT have an ILS system! It's only installed at the other end of the runway i.e. runway 23. Also, the approach to runway 05 is a bit wonky, lacks lead-in lights, and is subject to fog which showed up unexpectedly AFTER the airport was built!

Good interview. Apparently, a fighter pilot also lost his landing gear on the same runway, and still tried to taxi to the terminal despite the lack of wheels.

»www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/ ··· 1659761/

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

I caught a bit of that story, and my impression is that its still to early to fall prey to speculation. Let the facts emerge from the investigation. Not saying he is not speaking from a truthful place but he wasn't there that night........

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

In an interview with Global News, he also emphasized that he wasn't there and we have to allow the investigation to run its course.

Still, it's very interesting stuff to learn about aeronautics.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi to Bender2000

to Bender2000
said by Bender2000:

said by horsey :

They can call it what they want, but everyone knows it wasn't a hard landing. You don't lose wheels, engines or large parts of the plane with just a hard landing! Not to mention, the plane was completely immobilized.

either you crash or you land, there is no such a thing crash landing....a landing implies control in this case it appears they had none.

metar show cross wind 29- 54knots in the hour before and after incident.

i was listening to a radio was this flight not flying over for an hour due to weather visibility?

jaysona
join:2000-03-22
Montreal, QC
Asus RT-AC68
Linksys WRT1900AC
Asus RT-AC66

jaysona to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Interesting. According to one passenger, it seems the flight crew tried to initiate a go-around, indicating they realised they were coming in short.

I believe that Air Canada requires that their pilots perform the landings and not use autoland. If you're lucky enough to sit within the first 3-4 rows of an A320 you can hear the chirping sound the autopilot makes when it is disengaged on final approach.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

What gets me is that the human backup the other pilot also failed. It may be possible for the flying pilot to get scope locked or so focussed on one aspect that the bigger picture is missed but the second guy one would figure would care about his own well being as well the passengers....... and from what I understand is supposed to be backing up ie checking systems and safety etc