spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iLearn
join:2013-01-16
canada

iLearn

Tips on storing a snow blower in 1 car garage

What is the best way to store a 24' snow blower in winter in a one car garage while there is a car that needs fit in there as well.

I know, some of the responses I may get is:

- Park your car in the driveway. I know but i would like to know if there is a possibility somehow to store both the car and the show blower in the garage. There is 2 cars. One is parked in the driveway and the other HAS to be in the garage.

- Store it in the backyard shed. I will do that in summer but I am asking about in winter - during active use.

- No, selling the blower and going back to shoveling is not an option

Anything else? I am thinking there has to be someway.

Thanks
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor

A 24' snowblower is as big as the garage

Is there room to put the snowblower against a wall near the overhead door?? A lot of the garages I see have about 3-4' to each side to allow you to open your car doors, etc.

I have seen a few people around here without room in their garage and they put it on the front porch and padlock it to the railing or roof posts.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

2 recommendations

Msradell to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
Nobody here is going to be able to provide the correct answer for you. We don't know the size and shape of your garage nor the size of your car or the size of your garage door! Just try at several places and see which one works out the best.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 edit

BlueMist to iLearn

to iLearn
I agree with Msrandell that not enough information is supplied to give a definitive answer.

With that in mind I do have a friend who purchased a chain hoist at Harbor Freight and attached it to a 4x4 spanning a couple of rafters. He then raises his snow blower up and out of the way using the chain hoist similar to »www.harborfreight.com/1- ··· 996.html. He uses a couple of short chains to attach the snow blower to the hoist rather than ropes as he did not want to trust the constant weight and possible sharp edges to rope.

He uses a small 2 inch long bolt with nut through the hoist chains to keep children from lowering the thing once he has it raised up for the season.

He said to remember to allow for the garage door to open all the way when choosing where to hang the hoist.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

yep.. need some pics iLearn

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to iLearn

to iLearn
Can you lift up the snowblower easily? Like is it a smaller one made mostly of plastic or one made of steel?

If it's a smaller one, get a hook, drill it into a stud, and hang it on the wall. It's what I do with my bikes to save room during the winter.
iLearn
canada

iLearn to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor
said by Hellrazor:

A 24' snowblower is as big as the garage

Is there room to put the snowblower against a wall near the overhead door?? A lot of the garages I see have about 3-4' to each side to allow you to open your car doors, etc.

I have seen a few people around here without room in their garage and they put it on the front porch and padlock it to the railing or roof posts.

Keeping it in on the porch is a great idea. There is about 2-3 steps from the porch floor to the ground and I think I can buy a pair of auto ramps - that cost about $25.

I think that will work.

Off season, I can store in the backyard shed.
iLearn

iLearn to BlueMist

to BlueMist
said by BlueMist:

I agree with Msrandell that not enough information is supplied to give a definitive answer.

With that in mind I do have a friend who purchased a chain hoist at Harbor Freight and attached it to a 4x4 spanning a couple of rafters. He then raises his snow blower up and out of the way using the chain hoist similar to »www.harborfreight.com/1- ··· 996.html. He uses a couple of short chains to attach the snow blower to the hoist rather than ropes as he did not want to trust the constant weight and possible sharp edges to rope.

He uses a small 2 inch long bolt with nut through the hoist chains to keep children from lowering the thing once he has it raised up for the season.

He said to remember to allow for the garage door to open all the way when choosing where to hang the hoist.

Not too sure about it since the snow blower weighs about 220lbs and hanging it just not seem right but thanks.
iLearn

iLearn to Body Count

to Body Count
said by Body Count:

Can you lift up the snowblower easily? Like is it a smaller one made mostly of plastic or one made of steel?

If it's a smaller one, get a hook, drill it into a stud, and hang it on the wall. It's what I do with my bikes to save room during the winter.

No, its a 220lbs snowblower.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count to iLearn

to iLearn
220 lbs forget about hanging it. You'll damage your wall most likely even trying to hang it.
iLearn
canada

iLearn to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Nobody here is going to be able to provide the correct answer for you. We don't know the size and shape of your garage nor the size of your car or the size of your garage door! Just try at several places and see which one works out the best.

I disagree. Sometime less information is more. I think enough info. was provided to get an opinion on this.

If I did not mention the dimensions of a number of things (while could be a long list), it is obvious that I am talking about 'standard dimensions.

Vehicles normally have standard widths just like parking spots. It was obvious that I was talking about a standard 1 car garage. If i was talking about 1.5 car or a 2 car garage, I probably did not have this problem to begin with.
iLearn

iLearn to Body Count

to Body Count
said by Body Count:

220 lbs forget about hanging it. You'll damage your wall most likely even trying to hang it.

Yes. Thank you

norton
join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI

norton to iLearn

to iLearn
Off season store standing up
During season car must be totally in. Turn engine off put in neutral and push car all the way until it touches wall.
iLearn
canada

iLearn to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

You are wrong - sorry.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
said by iLearn:

said by Msradell:

I disagree. Sometime less information is more. I think enough info. was provided to get an opinion on this.

If I did not mention the dimensions of a number of things (while could be a long list), it is obvious that I am talking about 'standard dimensions.

Vehicles normally have standard widths just like parking spots. It was obvious that I was talking about a standard 1 car garage. If i was talking about 1.5 car or a 2 car garage, I probably did not have this problem to begin with.

I almost bought a house with three one-car garages - it was an interesting place and to this day I am sad it didn't work out. But, back to the point - which is that each garage had slightly different dimensions. One of them had barely enough room to get in or out of the car on each side. Opening the doors all the way on a coupe probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

The other two had more room on each side, and of those two one of them as about three feet deeper than the other. Does that make it a 1.5 car garage? Hardly.

The the two-car garage at my current house has different dimensions than the two-car garage at my old house.

The world isn't always "normal" or "standard" so, I think asking for more information is not an outrageous request by the folks here.
iLearn
canada

1 edit

iLearn

said by John97:

said by iLearn:

said by Msradell:

I almost bought a house with three one-car garages - it was an interesting place and to this day I am sad it didn't work out. But, back to the point - which is that each garage had slightly different dimensions. One of them had barely enough room to get in or out of the car on each side. Opening the doors all the way on a coupe probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

The other two had more room on each side, and of those two one of them as about three feet deeper than the other. Does that make it a 1.5 car garage? Hardly.

The the two-car garage at my current house has different dimensions than the two-car garage at my old house.

The world isn't always "normal" or "standard" so, I think asking for more information is not an outrageous request by the folks here.

If you want I can go back and edit my post to say that the one car garage is the smallest garage possible/provided by the builder. But maybe I wont, i have already gotten a possible solutions already.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
I guess this makes my happy that my garage is an orphan ...

In that, the previous owners' renovation carved the back corner of it out to make a sun porch .... and didn't leave enough depth in the garage to fit a car in there.

Oops.

2 car wide garage, but can't park any vehicles inside. Ah well - just means more storage space ... got myself some kick-ass garage cabinets and workbench from Craftsman; that makes me happier than parking the cars in there.
adam9c1
join:2014-05-01
USA

adam9c1

I found a shipping crate being thrown out and I moved it next to garage. Does not cover all of the snowblower but it will do for now.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

1 recommendation

OldCableGuy (banned) to iLearn

to iLearn
Cool I love guessing games!

Store it diagonal in the back. My garage is one stall and I fit a snow blower and lawn mower in there!

I didn't provide all the details on how I store it, but sometimes less is more! I think you've got enough to go on here...

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
Parallel to the garage walls, at the far end. For a blower that size the handle is probably folding too. I would imagine there is at least 24" space left on one side of the car.
Before a snow storm just take the blower out, park the car all the way in, leave the blower near the door.
cnyguy
join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

cnyguy

I have a 27" snowblower in a 1 car garage that I store all the way to the back along the wall. This allowed us to still park a car in it, that was before 2 kids came along and took over the space.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

2 recommendations

PoloDude to iLearn

Premium Member

to iLearn
Find the center of the garage floor. Center a 3 foot wide by 6 foot rectangle on it. Rent a concrete saw,jack hammer and amall excavator. Cut out the floor and dig down . Leave a ramp. Dig deep enough so you can cover it with 3/4" plywood.
Problem solved.
iLearn
canada

iLearn

said by PoloDude:

Find the center of the garage floor. Center a 3 foot wide by 6 foot rectangle on it. Rent a concrete saw,jack hammer and amall excavator. Cut out the floor and dig down . Leave a ramp. Dig deep enough so you can cover it with 3/4" plywood.
Problem solved.

Your signature line says, "My horse fights with me and fasts with me...." I rest my case.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

2 recommendations

PoloDude

Premium Member

Really? You asked such an ambiguous question. Some reasonable answers were given, but the only information was a 24" blower In a 1 car garage.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

2 recommendations

18189353 (banned) to iLearn

to iLearn
I use to have a 1 car garage (~16' x 20') and snow blower fit fine. Without knowing the size of the garage no one can really give advise.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

Mr Matt to iLearn

to iLearn
said by iLearn:

Anything else? I am thinking there has to be someway

How deep is your garage? I moved into a home in 1980 that was built in 1962. The one car garage was designed to accommodate one of those 1960's Detroit Giant Behemoths. The garage was 24 feet deep. I believe my 1980 Malibu was 18 Feet long. I put some storage shelves at the back of the garage and my lawn equipment in front of the shelves and I still had space to walk between the front bumper of the car and my lawn mower, edger and lawn fertilizer. If there is space put the snow blower at the back of the garage.
iLearn
canada

iLearn to PoloDude

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

Really? You asked such an ambiguous question. Some reasonable answers were given, but the only information was a 24" blower In a 1 car garage.

Yes, you are right. Some reasonable answers were given.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

2 recommendations

18189353 (banned)

said by iLearn:

said by PoloDude:

Yes, you are right. Some reasonable answers were given.

Are you unsure about the dimensions of the garage? You're basically asking for a shotgun approach when a little more info people can use a sniper rifle to actually target in on the problem.
RickWakeman
join:2013-06-23
Springfield, MA

RickWakeman to iLearn

to iLearn
I put mine in front of my car. My garage is narrow but it is longer than a single car length. Without knowing the dimensions of your garage it is hard to say.