Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

[Lighting] Is there an LED replacement for a T3 - 300W Halogen light bulb

As subject says, I'm converting all of the bulbs in our apartment to LEDs and have a pair of floor lamps that use the T3-300W bulbs I'd like to swap. Does anyone know if such an LED bulb exists, or I am better off swapping the floor lamps for LED compatible ones.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

That is one heck of a big light for a floor lamp.

I did a quick google search and did not find and LED replacements, the form factor is going to be a problem for LED replacement.

Have you thought about seeing if you can modify the floor lamp to take a more commonly available LED bulb, and do you really need a 300W equivalent sun lamp.

/tom

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick

MVM

I don't know if I need it...The problem is that the apartment doesn't have any ceiling lighting in the bedrooms and to make it somewhat bright in there, I can go and turn on 3 x 100W (equivalent) lamps, or one 300W halogen lamp and make it nice and bright. Of course going to the more common bulb form factor, I'll run out of outlets fairly quickly.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
I doubt it very much that you will find a direct replacement in the same bulb size. LEDs just cant cram the electronics and the heatsink into the same shape as that tiny glass tube..

Here are some high power LED bulbs to spark the imagination..

»www.ledlight.com/high-po ··· hts.aspx

good luck

-j
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to Nick

to Nick
I remember seeing one my last trip to Menards.

»www.menards.com/main/p-2 ··· 7482.htm

I'm guessing it's bright white since it's made for outside. And I remember it's huge. The picture doesn't show its true size. The bulb really is huge.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
Is your floor lamp the type that projects the light up toward the ceiling? You're probably losing a lot of light as a portion of the light is going to be absorbed by the ceiling, even if it's white.

If so, you might want to just consider getting a different lamp that can actually provide more direct lighting and accepts normal LED bulbs.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 recommendation

Anonymous_ to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

That is one heck of a big light for a floor lamp.

I did a quick google search and did not find and LED replacements, the form factor is going to be a problem for LED replacement.

Have you thought about seeing if you can modify the floor lamp to take a more commonly available LED bulb, and do you really need a 300W equivalent sun lamp.

/tom

lot of floor lamps use 300 to 500watt bulbs

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
LED - no, but there are big (250-300W equiv) CFL bulbs for fairly low prices - even dimmable. You can always wire a socket for one and call it a day

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to Nick

to Nick
Yes there appear to be plug in replacement LED's for the T3 sockets.

»www.ledlight.com/t3_led_ ··· iew.aspx
or
»www.homedepot.com/p/Meri ··· od83UAgA

Here is one that claims to be dimmable as well.
»www.miniinthebox.com/dim ··· 804.html

Or go nuts with eBay at »www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? ··· _sacat=0

You have to watch out for the LED replacement bulb length as there are those labeled as T3 appear to come in 3 different lengths. Also keep watch on the operating voltages as many accept an input voltage range of 85-265 while others are at a fixed voltage like 120 or 220.

Try a Google search for "t3 halogen to LED" minus the quotes.

I'm not 100% certain what the difference is between a T3 and a R7 socket but many of the replacement bulb sites appear to use the terms interchangeably.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to Nick

Premium Member

to Nick
said by Nick:

T3-300W bulbs I'd like to swap. Does anyone know if such an LED bulb exists, or I am better off swapping the floor lamps for LED compatible ones.

At this time you are better off swapping the whole lamp. It will be cheaper than the specialty LED blocks available in Hong Kong and Singapore.

There are two types of high lumen LED bulbs which replace high wattage linear halogen bulbs in existing lamps. Both have a large rectangular array of LEDs to create sufficient lumens. They are still not as bright as a brand new 300W halogen, but getting there.

One style uses a spring-loaded electrical connection that go into the original bulb slot. The LED block attaches to the reflector with magnets. The other style puts the terminals on either side of the LED block, but they won't fit on some fixtures.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to BlueMist

MVM

to BlueMist
said by BlueMist:

Yes there appear to be plug in replacement LED's for the T3 sockets.

I saw those but have concerns they will fit in an ordinary fixture. The couple of outside lights we have that use T3 the reflector is pretty close to the bulb. The LED replacement may fit into the holder - same end-to-end distance but different diameter.

/tom,