spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bradfm
join:2015-03-29

bradfm

[Networking] $65,000 question

Hey all.

I've bridged (Moca) my Actiontec MI424WR version-I router in order to use my shiny new Asus RT AC-68U router. I've followed these instructions to a T:

»How-to: Make Actiontec MI424WR Revision I (Rev.I) a Network

I also have two Verizon STBs that need internet access of course for VOD and guide.

Everything is playing nicely until I plug in the double bridge (the piece of Ethernet cable from one of the Asus ports to port 4 of the Actiontec. (I've tried all ports on the Actiontec, by the way). Everything goes to hell at that point. All LAN clients lose connectivity and tray icons now show a yellow triangle with Limited access, including wireless clients. I have to remove that cable and powercycle both units to get internet back.

I don't have the option of running Ethernet from the ONT to the router, by the way.

Any suggestions?

Asus- 192.168.1.1, DHCP from Verizon for WAN address.
Actiontec- 192.168.2.1.

Do I need to create a VLAN? Routing table entry? Another bridge on the Actiontec? It seems that connecting that cable "bridges" two separate subnets which cant normally talk to each other (192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1) and and is throwing all of my clients in a loop.

Thanks,
Brad

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by bradfm:

Hey all.

I've bridged (Moca) my Actiontec MI424WR version-I router in order to use my shiny new Asus RT AC-68U router. I've followed these instructions to a T:

»How-to: Make Actiontec MI424WR Revision I (Rev.I) a Network

I also have two Verizon STBs that need internet access of course for VOD and guide.

Everything is playing nicely until I plug in the double bridge (the piece of Ethernet cable from one of the Asus ports to port 4 of the Actiontec. (I've tried all ports on the Actiontec, by the way). Everything goes to hell at that point. All LAN clients lose connectivity and tray icons now show a yellow triangle with Limited access, including wireless clients. I have to remove that cable and powercycle both units to get internet back.

I don't have the option of running Ethernet from the ONT to the router, by the way.

Any suggestions?

Asus- 192.168.1.1, DHCP from Verizon for WAN address.
Actiontec- 192.168.2.1.

Do I need to create a VLAN? Routing table entry? Another bridge on the Actiontec? It seems that connecting that cable "bridges" two separate subnets which cant normally talk to each other (192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1) and and is throwing all of my clients in a loop.

Thanks,
Brad

Just use the Actiontec for your STBs. Run a cable from a LAN port on the Actiontec to the Asus WAN port and put that IP address on a DMZ in the Actiontec. Then run your entire network from your Asus. This is how I used to do it many years ago and had zero issues.

At the time I had around 50 devices on my network and everything worked just as well as when having my router connected to the ONT. Although I have close to one hundred devices on my network now, and I haven't tried it in a while running my current Asus router off a DMZ on the Actiontec.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Aren't there FAQs on this site that includ step-by-step instructions? I thought there were...
bradfm

bradfm

I did. Connecting the "return" cable back to the Actiontec to get VOD breaks connectivity on all clients. Interestingly, the two STBs show up on the Asus's DHCP table tho.
bradfm

bradfm to aaronwt

to aaronwt
Trying to avoid double NATing. My VPN and Torrents aren't playing nice when I do that.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

PJL to bradfm

to bradfm
What IP addresses does the ASUS assign them? The STBs are picky about their IP ranges. Do you have the appropriate port forwarding rules implemented? Also, Verizon's standard range is 192.168.1.X, not 192.168.2.X. I presuming you've disabled the Actiontec's DHCP server?
Merlin235
join:2014-10-14
USA

Merlin235 to bradfm

to bradfm
I have been running my ASUS behind an Actiontec for two years double NATed. Works fine. I have also run my ASUS first with no Actiontec (I use a CableCard and don't use STB.) and notice no difference in performance. I use a Slingbox, FTP server and DynDNS and the all work just fine in a double NAT setup.

1. I would suggest that you put your Actiontec back as the primary router with DHCP range 192.168.1.1. As previously mentioned the STB like to be or must be in the 192.168.100-120 range. Leave the DHCP server on.

2. Set the WAN IP on the ASUS asa static 192.168.1.2 (can be something else if you have assigned this address.) Set the gateway as 192.168.1.1

3. Set the Subnet on the ASUS as 192.168.2.1-254. and the LAN IP as 192.168.2.1. Turn the DHCP server on and use what ever range you want in that subnet. 192.168.2.100 - 149 would work give you 50 addresses. Assign any devices that you want to have static addresses an IP outside this range.

4. Run a cable from a LAN port on the Actiontec to the WAN port on the ASUS. Power off the Actiontec and the ASUS. Power up the Actiontec and a minute or so latter power up the ASUS. You are good to go. You can either leave on or turn off the WiFi on the Actiontec. If you leave it on be sure that it is on a different channel than the ASUS.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to bradfm

Premium Member

to bradfm
said by bradfm:

Trying to avoid double NATing. My VPN and Torrents aren't playing nice when I do that.

I never had any issues.
There was never any noticeble difference when I had double NATing.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to bradfm

to bradfm
DMZ the Actiontec inside the ASUS GUI should solve the double NAT issue
hubrisnxs

hubrisnxs to aaronwt

to aaronwt
I concur. Double NAT can cause problems but I have never noticed them myself. I run torrents like crazy
bradfm

bradfm to Merlin235

to Merlin235
"Set the Subnet on the ASUS as 192.168.2.1-254"

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Just another way of saying 255.255.255.0?

....Since the ASUS is 192.168.2/24

In other words,

Actiontec=192.168.1.1
DHCP on

ASUS WAN=192.168.1.2
ASUS LAN=192.168.2.1
ASUS Gateway=192.168.1.1
ASUS Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0
ASUS DNS=192.168.1.1

Right?
bradfm

bradfm to hubrisnxs

to hubrisnxs
So in Actiontec GUI, set DMZ address to 192.168.1.2 (or whatever)
Set gateway in ASUS to that DMZ address?

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to bradfm

to bradfm
im seriously dumbfounded why everyone makes such a big deal about this

just switch the ONT to ethernet, use your AC68u (go download DDWRT as well u just install the firmware an its done i just purchased a 52U) then just use the Fios router as an extender by connecting it via a LAN port, an you can use the other 3 ports on that as well for anything else if you want, just log in and disable the wireless, also copy the mac address and spoof it on your Asus that way you can always swap back an forth without reseting the ONT and before plugging the Fios router, just boot the Asus with nothing but your pc hardwired, change its IP just make it 192.168.9 or something easy and then plug everything in an you're set

having the Fios router infront is like buying a convertible in seattle. especially the on you got which is almost 200$ IIRC when i was comparing the prices. also you can mandate the STB QoS

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra to bradfm

Premium Member

to bradfm
I would tend to agree. Notice that the "Rev. I" setup includes enabling STP. If only one device in your network does not pay attention to STP (whose goal is to eliminate loops in bridged networks), it kind of shoots the whole network down. As you have experienced, you might get packet forwarding loops, which will be a bad day indeed for your network.

As you have hinted, VLANs are a possible solution, as that would isolate traffic. The problem I see with that is the Actiontec's VLAN implementation, which is not documented in the PDF I have. I have 6 set up on my switch, and all seem to work OK with the systems to which they're attached, so it's not like I'm new to VLANs, just saying.

The only mentions in the manual are in the introduction section and the events section, nothing about configuring them. I experimented some with it, but their settings don't make sense. They talk about egress and ingress, which is fine, but if you tell it you want the same VLAN on both ingress and egress, it refuses to do that, claiming that VLAN is already associated with that port. I also don't think there is any control on which MoCA networks are on what VLANs, making their use dodgy at best.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to eival

Premium Member

to eival
said by eival:

just switch the ONT to ethernet,

Yeah, it's just that easy. Y'know, not everyone wants to run ethernet from wherever the router is to the ONT.

I'd rather grab a D-Link DCN-221 off Amazon or fleabay. The only thing stopping me is.. laziness in obtaining a suitable replacement for the Actiontec.
bradfm

bradfm to eival

to eival
I cant run Ethernet to the ONT. I do think your idea is great though if I had that option. Factory defaults on the Actiontec, different subnet then the Asus. Coax to the Actiontec, wireless disabled. Problem solved.

The only caveat is making sure the Actiontec has a LAN of 192.168.1.1. I did notice that once the Actiontec is factory defaulted and powered up, it runs some kind of script that puts a DHCP reservation from 192.168.1-150 to 154 for each STB that is detected. It puts a reserved IP entry table for each STB with their respective MAC address. If you change the LAN address for the Actiontec when trying to set it up as a MoCA adaptor, you damn well be sure to keep the Actiontec at 192.168.1.1. Otherwise it'll send everything to hell like I wrote in my OP.
bradfm

bradfm to rchandra

to rchandra
Check out my reply to "evial" above. What do you think?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

rchandra

Premium Member

to whom?

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

1 recommendation

eival to bradfm

to bradfm
said by bradfm:

I cant run Ethernet to the ONT. I do think your idea is great though if I had that option. Factory defaults on the Actiontec, different subnet then the Asus. Coax to the Actiontec, wireless disabled. Problem solved.

The only caveat is making sure the Actiontec has a LAN of 192.168.1.1. I did notice that once the Actiontec is factory defaulted and powered up, it runs some kind of script that puts a DHCP reservation from 192.168.1-150 to 154 for each STB that is detected. It puts a reserved IP entry table for each STB with their respective MAC address. If you change the LAN address for the Actiontec when trying to set it up as a MoCA adaptor, you damn well be sure to keep the Actiontec at 192.168.1.1. Otherwise it'll send everything to hell like I wrote in my OP.

you can disable the DHCP, just make sure to disable the wifi first cause once you save the changes you wont be able to access it, then set up your ASUS be below its range and it will supply the IP's

trust me if the guys at openwrt ever figure out the Coax Moca throughput the Fios router would be great

i was looking at Arris to see if they had a stock version of the VMS' but apparently its a legit Verizon only device with no mention of it on their own site cause theres plenty of options greyed out in the Diagnostic menus that would make life so much easier, first of which being adaptive VOD bitrates and other video settings