Search similar:

uniqs
Timmn
join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL

1 recommendation

Timmn

Speed Test Feedback?

The only feedback I have is that the results I get differ depending on which browser I'm using.

Now I get a message when I'm using Firefox that the browser is stalling and the results are unreliable.

However, that doesn't happen when I use Chrome.

Note: If you look at my earlier stats you will notice that my download speeds have dropped, that was done purposely on my end to resolve some problems I was having.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

Firefox can be problematic and a bit slower but often that turns out to be an extension or virus scanner or so on.

It isn't endemic, firefox is the same for me as every browser, but I only have a slower net connection and a fast PC.

If firefox is giving you the stalling alert then things are pretty bad internally with it. That won't just be impacting the test, but general use. I'd look at giving it a spring clean. That is, if you don't trace the problem to an unfortunate add-on that is causing issues.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 edit

Brano

MVM

Windows:
»[DSL Speed test: 14.90/13.86 15 ms]
»[DSL Speed test: 14.89/13.45 16 ms]

Linux:
»[DSL Speed test: 14.82/10.50 16 ms]

I'm on VDSL and my upload modem rate is 11321 kbps. ...not sure how the upload results can jump so much higher.

EDIT: The issue seems to be on Windows only

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to justin

to justin
I'm getting it too. It always seems to happen in the upload part though. On the download test the needle stays at 100%, but when the upload test starts, it starts wavering then drops to 0 & the error box pops up.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

4 edits

Sanek to Timmn

to Timmn
No issues in Pale Moon 25.3.1 x86 (Win 8.1 x64), which is a Firefox variant:
»[Cable Speed test: 58.65/9.47 19 ms]
»[Cable Speed test: 58.98/9.44 19 ms]

The speed test is pretty close to my advertised Start 60/10 connection. Speed-test.net is more accurate, but I think it just has something to do with the server proximity.

There is one issue though - if you use a NoScript extension (or similar), which requires to manually allow which hostnames can run scripts, this speed test really does not play well with it.

Each time the speed test loads, it tries to execute the script on a particular IP. If you try to allow the execution, NoScript reloads the page and the IP is different this time. These types of extensions are pretty popular, so I think thats the biggest issue that I see with the test so far.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to Brano

Mod

to Brano
said by Brano:

EDIT: The issue seems to be on Windows only

thanks for posting those, i can see the problem and will fix it up: There is a lot of upload buffering going on and the final speed has captured some of that.
sgdoerfler
join:2002-12-10
Pittsburgh, PA

sgdoerfler to Timmn

to Timmn
Test fails every time for me on Firefox 36.0.4 under Windows 8.1 with "Incomplete result: The entire test took too long, something must be wrong". Nothing ever appears in the graph area (though the X axis labels shift to the left), but the "your link" pointer moves around some before stopping at "full". I tried restarting Firefox with all add-ons disabled, but the speed test failed just the same.

Works in IE and Chrome: Speed Test Result 57.6/82.2 megabit/second. I'm on FiOS.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

it it fails with a timeout you still have a result link you could send me. Then i can see.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to Timmn

Mod

to Timmn
said by Timmn:

Now I get a message when I'm using Firefox that the browser is stalling and the results are unreliable.

However, that doesn't happen when I use Chrome.

I noticed that yesterday (but "chromium" rather than "chrome").

I got stalling messages several times with firefox. I use very few extensions, and I had told "noscript" to allow scripts globally for the test. I think the stalling may have been related to significant traffic from another computer on the LAN.

It seems fine again in a test today, but nobody else is using the LAN at the moment.

Yesterday I was getting noticeably worse ping times with firefox than with other browsers. Today, the firefox ping time is good.
sgdoerfler
Pittsburgh, PA

sgdoerfler to justin

to justin
Yes, sorry. Here's Firefox failing: »[Speed test: 202619]
On one of a half-dozen tests with Firefox, it seemed to work: »[Fiber Speed test: 34.97/59.62 14 ms]
But it hasn't since.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

firefox is crumpling perhaps due to the assumption the test is now making that your fiber connection is going to be 1000 mbit symmetric and need 32 streams etc (i boosted that recently). Firefox cannot cope.

try pressing DSL or "unsure" and post a link to that. If it fails in the same way then my theory is wrong. The working firefox link you posted was 24 streams so i think "unsure" or "dsl" will work or manually set streams to 12 in preferences.
sgdoerfler
Pittsburgh, PA

sgdoerfler

DSL setting works: »[DSL Speed test: 41.26/56.41 21 ms]
So does Cable: »[Cable Speed test: 57.09/69.41 20 ms]
And Satellite: »[Satellite Speed test: 99.38/43.20 156 ms] (though its numbers seem pretty far from the others)
Second run of Satellite: »[Satellite Speed test: 58.39/42.49 70 ms]
Wireless works too: »[WISP Speed test: 56.80/65.88 17 ms]
But Unsure fails like Fiber: »[Speed test: 204817]

Maybe the error message could suggest which setting to change to make it work, and/or the test could auto-detect and work around the issue?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

The test uses 1 stream for the "satellite" runs, so the result will not be valid for your connection. Why are you even trying it?

So that leaves:

»[DSL Speed test: 41.26/56.41 21 ms]
»[Cable Speed test: 57.09/69.41 20 ms]
»[WISP Speed test: 56.80/65.88 17 ms]

which are all pretty similar, but I'd recommend using Fiber as you have FIOS, it should pickup on firefox and not load it down.

plus the broken run (Unsure - which picked Fiber for you but the test broke)
»[Speed test: 204817]

Does 'unsure' still break?
sgdoerfler
Pittsburgh, PA

sgdoerfler

said by justin:

The test uses 1 stream for the "satellite" runs, so the result will not be valid for your connection. Why are you even trying it?

Since I actually have fiber, but you said to try DSL instead, I figured it might be helpful to try all the other connection types I didn't have too. Guess not.

I still get "Incomplete result: The entire test took too long, something must be wrong" from "Unsure". »[Speed test: 205411]
said by justin:

it should pickup on firefox and not load it down.

I refreshed the Speed Test page, but I'm still getting the same error message above when I select Fiber under Firefox. »[Fiber Speed test: 54.02/65.44 18 ms]
Second run of Fiber under Firefox: »[Speed test: 205431]

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

Clearly my user-agent sniffing is poor..

That broken fiber test for firefox is still dumping 36 streams into it.

edit: yes that was the cause.
sgdoerfler
Pittsburgh, PA

sgdoerfler

Yes, it's working great for me now on Firefox under Windows. Both Fiber and Unsure buttons use 20 connections, and neither gets an error. Thanks!

I've now tried it on my Nexus 7 tablet, running Firefox for Mobile under Android 5, with a Wifi connection to FiOS. I googled "dslreports" and clicked on the Speed Test link. When I ran the test for Fiber, I got "Browser stalled too many times, results unreliable". »[Fiber Speed test: 45.80/34.25 127 ms]

Then I clicked on the results page link to run the test again, and I got "Sorry, this cool test is not yet adapted to work on older browsers...." I didn't get that warning when I followed the google link. And when I clicked the button to show the less-cool tests I could try instead, the new cool speed test was at the top, and clicking that link got me to the speed test page again without an older-browsers warning.

The second time, the test ran without problems on my tablet »[Fiber Speed test: 43.91/36.36 121 ms] I tried several more times, and mostly got the "Browser stalled" warning message, but plausible speed results. I'm not too surprised, since Firefox for Mobile feels slow on this tablet (or maybe it's Adblock Plus, its sole add-on).

I also tried Chrome on the tablet, and Speed Test worked fine every time. »[Fiber Speed test: 44.39/34.05 23 ms]

(On the tablet, in portrait orientation, both browsers had minor display issues during the test, with the graph in the right column overprinting the boxes in the left column. But it was still perfectly useable.)

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

firefox on android is very slow.
"CPU javascript speed acceptable"
acceptable means a crap phone testing 3g or 10 mbit wifi. Testing fios kills it.
good to know chrome is working

and thanks for those other comments will investigate.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

Freight Yard

Santa Fe to Timmn

to Timmn
Thanks for fixing it for Firefox. BTW: I found an interesting way to annoy my DSL neighbors, I ran the speedtest using the DSL one & showed them this: »[DSL Speed test: 31.15/2.97 32 ms]

While I liked the faster than 94% on DSL part, they weren't too happy.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

funny
but if you did that a lot it would throw off any stats

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

Freight Yard

Santa Fe

said by justin:

funny
but if you did that a lot it would throw off any stats

I use the cable one, just thought I'd try the DSL one to see if the results were the same. And it was.

fiosbronx
@verizon.net

fiosbronx to Timmn

Anon

to Timmn
Works great! Nice improvement over the old test.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 edit

rchandra to justin

Premium Member

to justin
I've gotten sluggish results in FF even run with the -safe-mode option. My system is a dual Irwindale Xeon 80546K system @ 3.4 GHz, 4G RAM running Xubuntu 12.04, so it should be up to the task. But FF is just that slow. Compared to Chrome, it seems at least 5x slower.

EDIT: Chrome always seems to work OK whereas FF has often been comparatively dog slow at everything, not just this speed test.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

norwegian See Profile posted about a setting change in the mozilla forum here can you try it?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 edit

rchandra

Premium Member

If you mean »[request] Firefox and Waterfox users - speed test issues about browser.cache.use_new_backend, that didn't seem to help much. To start out with, the "ping" part of the test only shows one result (whereas Chrome shows...5?) and it's always multiple hundreds of milliseconds.

EDIT: here's an example, I guess (clicked "unsure"): »[Fiber Speed test: 26.23/28.99 207 ms] My service is supposed to be 25/25.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

ping should work

can you comare this url between firefox and non-firefox?

»/speed ··· ?radar=1

note i dont get any log but compare ping, and if you want compare cpu usage.

Its just the ping phase as a radar. It not be janky.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by justin:

can you comare this url between firefox and non-firefox?

Firefox, run with -safe-mode is attached, to the left. The "Results+Share" doesn't seem to do anything when clicked. The run in Chrome is on the right.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

well thats a bit of a firefox indictment isnt it.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK

MarkRH to Timmn

Premium Member

to Timmn
I haven't had any issues with Firefox and the test. Using Windows 7 Pro.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105

rchandra to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Could have something to do with the Xubuntu Linux 12.04 64bit build, dunno.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to MarkRH

Mod

to MarkRH
said by MarkRH:

I haven't had any issues with Firefox and the test. Using Windows 7 Pro.

can you do the same A B test firefox vs ie or chrome and screenshot both?