All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

musicianguy1
@charter.com

musicianguy1

Anon

[CATV] Using 2 Motorola DVRs in the SAME room.

Because of Charters crazy way of recording series' and 2 tuner limit / no multi room dvr support. I'm forced to get 2 receivers and use them in the same room as my TV. However the problem lies when I want to control DVR 1 but it controls 1 and 2. So us there any way to change the code sent from one remote? I don't mind using 2 different remotes, inputs. But can't send a IR command and have them both respond. Ideas? I know once the World boxes come out it will be different. But that's a big when.

Thanks
arbit3r9
Nighthawk RAX80 Arris SB8200 rev4
join:2006-02-08
Dorr, MI

arbit3r9

No the IR codes are hard coded in to the box's
RuralWolfMan
join:2015-03-30
Mcminnville, TN

RuralWolfMan

A tech told me to use an ext IR to either aim at one receiver or another.... I don't know...

Demonfang
join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA

Demonfang to musicianguy1

to musicianguy1
i know this is a stretch, but are the receivers rf capable? if not does centurylink have any that are? rf remotes, in addition to being a godsend, are also programmed to control only one device, which would resolve your issue.

the external ir thing is unlikely to work outside of niche hardware (you would need to have a remote that sends codes that the dvr boxes can't read, then have the external ir device translate these into what you want done, and program a different set of codes for each remote), which is a headache and generally not recommended. if you were to get two passive external ir sensors then it'd just bounce off walls and hit both anyway, rendering it pointless.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to RuralWolfMan

Premium Member

to RuralWolfMan
With the way IR signals bounce (you usually don't have to aim the remote directly at the device to get it to respond), I doubt even this would work. Also, considering all the "extra" features on most boxes are disabled, I wouldn't be surprised if the external IR port is disabled, if it even has one. It could work if you were to hide one of the receivers (and is disables the built in receiver) but then it will take some creative aiming to get that one to respond.
arbit3r9
Nighthawk RAX80 Arris SB8200 rev4
join:2006-02-08
Dorr, MI

arbit3r9

Yea some those IR can detect signals even when blocked. i can aim my remote at the wall on opposite side of the room and the cable box detects it. still
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Yep, when I lived in Tucson we had a projector setup as the main TV and everything was behind the seating. I first started pointing the remotes behind me but just hit the button one day and it still worked. From then on all we ever did was just aim the remote forward and it bounced right behind us.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

2 edits

dishrich to musicianguy1

to musicianguy1
said by musicianguy1 :

So us there any way to change the code sent from one remote? I don't mind using 2 different remotes, inputs. But can't send a IR command and have them both respond. Ideas?

I've had this same problem here with our (Comcast) Moto DVR's...unfortunately, there is NO way to change IR codes in these boxes, nor do they have RF support. But, this is what I did to solve the problem:

-get this remote extender kit (you will only need 1, since both DVR's are in the same room)
»www.nextgen.us/NextGen_R ··· nius.htm

-set this up with 1 of the DVR remotes & the DVR you want it to control, according to the instructions on the extender (we'll call these DVR & remote #2)

-when you setup the IR emitter on this DVR, you will have to position it in such a way, that this DVR #2 can ONLY see the IR coming from the emitter (ie: you'll have to shield the IR receiver on this DVR from being able to see any other extraneous IR signals)

-on this particular remote #2, you'll have to cover up the IR emitter on the front of it, so that it cannot blast IR to the other DVR #1; unfortunately, it also won't be able to blast any other IR components

Once this is done, you will use this newly modified remote #2 to ONLY run this DVR #2 w/the new IR extended emitter attached to it. (because now it will only respond to "RF repeated" commands via the extender) As long as you have hidden it from any other IR signals, you can then use the other remote for the 1st DVR w/out causing the 2nd DVR to respond to any remote commands. (or visa-versa)

Not the best solution, but it worked for a couple of my clients & they still use these to this day...as a side benefit, obviously because you're adding RF remote capability to the DVR, you could "backfeed" an A/V (or RF) output of it to another TV, AND still control it from the other room(s), so you wouldn't have to pay for another box. (of course you'd have to watch the same output to the other set(s) as well...but for a lightly used TV &/or if the same person uses it, this could save you $$$) Or, you could do this remote extender trick to BOTH DVR's, then backfeed BOTH to other rooms as well; DO NOTE that if you wanted to do this, you would need to order the other extender in another frequency...otherwise you'll be right back where you started w/remote conflicts!
RuralWolfMan
Mcminnville, TN

RuralWolfMan

That
said by dishrich:

said by musicianguy1 :

So us there any way to change the code sent from one remote? I don't mind using 2 different remotes, inputs. But can't send a IR command and have them both respond. Ideas?

I've had this same problem here with our (Comcast) Moto DVR's...unfortunately, there is NO way to change IR codes in these boxes, nor do they have RF support. But, this is what I did to solve the problem:

-get this remote extender kit (you will only need 1, since both DVR's are in the same room)
»www.nextgen.us/NextGen_R ··· nius.htm

-set this up with 1 of the DVR remotes & the DVR you want it to control, according to the instructions on the extender (we'll call these DVR & remote #2)

-when you setup the IR emitter on this DVR, you will have to position it in such a way, that this DVR #2 can ONLY see the IR coming from the emitter (ie: you'll have to shield the IR receiver on this DVR from being able to see any other extraneous IR signals)

-on this particular remote #2, you'll have to cover up the IR emitter on the front of it, so that it cannot blast IR to the other DVR #1; unfortunately, it also won't be able to blast any other IR components

Once this is done, you will use this newly modified remote #2 to ONLY run this DVR #2 w/the new IR extended emitter attached to it. (because now it will only respond to "RF repeated" commands via the extender) As long as you have hidden it from any other IR signals, you can then use the other remote for the 1st DVR w/out causing the 2nd DVR to respond to any remote commands. (or visa-versa)

Not the best solution, but it worked for a couple of my clients & they still use these to this day...as a side benefit, obviously because you're adding RF remote capability to the DVR, you could "backfeed" an A/V (or RF) output of it to another TV, AND still control it from the other room(s), so you wouldn't have to pay for another box. (of course you'd have to watch the same output to the other set(s) as well...but for a lightly used TV &/or if the same person uses it, this could save you $$$) Or, you could do this remote extender trick to BOTH DVR's, then backfeed BOTH to other rooms as well; DO NOTE that if you wanted to do this, you would need to order the other extender in another frequency...otherwise you'll be right back where you started w/remote conflicts!

That's is an excellent idea! I was trying to think of using an RF remote and extender. But if I bought this. Blocked the front IR window with black tape. Did the same to the receiver blaster and covered the mini IR on wire with black tape. That would be all RF. Thank you!
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to musicianguy1

to musicianguy1
Just buy a used tivo with lifetime service on it off of eBay and avoid this nonsense.

You can pick up a 4 tuner TiVo with lifetime for like $400 if you look hard enough.

Only has 6 hours left:

»www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Pr ··· a3163a5d

Only has 10 hours left:

»www.ebay.com/itm/Tivo-TC ··· e722f5a1

Then just drop your motorola boxes back at charter and get a cablecard ($2.00) and it'll pay for itself in no time.
RuralWolfMan
Mcminnville, TN

RuralWolfMan

Can't afford the upfront cost of a TiVo. As nice as they are.
RuralWolfMan

RuralWolfMan to dishrich

to dishrich
Dishrich; I ordered that IR to RF transmitter. Got a good deal on it used since I will have to tape off all the IR ports on it anyway. Will have to fully cover the 2nd Motorola as well.
BlakePaulson
join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN

BlakePaulson to RuralWolfMan

to RuralWolfMan
I calculated it out. If DVR service costs $19.99 and each DVR costs $6.99 you'd be paying $407.64 for one year of DVR service (not to mention taxes and fees too.) You would be able to pay for your TiVo in one year and save $400 the next year.

Just playing devils advocate.

skycap18
@charter.com

skycap18 to musicianguy1

Anon

to musicianguy1
In order to change the channel on one DVR and not the others in the room, point your remote through the cardboard insert of a paper towel roll. I keep one next to the couch at all times. The length of the cardboard insulates the signal from the other remotes; free solution that works like a charm!

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr to musicianguy1

to musicianguy1
This is why I will not let them take my old MOXI away. It uses different codes than the Motorola box I have next to it.
schmerold
Premium Member
join:2008-08-11
Saint Louis, MO

schmerold to musicianguy1

Premium Member

to musicianguy1
+1 on Tivo recommendation