spc
Search similar:

uniqs

comcastcape
@verizon.net

comcastcape

Anon

[Equip] Tech help upgrading to a dual band router

I am trying to help my sister with a Comcast internet issue. I have FIOS and I not familiar with the Comcast Modem/router devices. She currently owns a Zoom wireless router / modem for use with Comcast internet and cable TV . This a single band wireless router. She wants more wireless speed and coverage in her townhouse . Can she purchase a new AC 1900 wireless router and keep the existing Zoom modem for cable TV ?. I know this two devices but this option saves couple of bucks. I assume we can connect the new AC router to the old modem and shut off wireless capability for the old zoom . Is this correct ?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

2 edits

Johkal

MVM

Re: Tech help upgrading to a dual band router

What is the model of this Zoom modem? I'm assuming from your description it is a Gateway modem. The customer can always buy their own router. Configuring it to work with a Gateway modem can be tricky, but doable.

One question: was this a mistake; "keep the existing Zoom modem for cable TV ?"
A cable box is used for TV separate from that modem you described.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

One question: was this a mistake; "keep the existing Zoom modem for cable TV ?"
A cable box is used for TV separate from that modem you described.

Considering the OP has FiOS - which DOES use the FiOS gateway to provide the STBs with guide data and on-demand video - it's possible that it was a mistake.
dudeofmoose
join:2011-07-19
Stockton, CA

dudeofmoose to comcastcape

to comcastcape

Re: [Equip] Tech help upgrading to a dual band router

Short answer is yes.

Option 1
On the 2nd device (the AC1900) you would have the option to use is as just an access point (google use 2nd router as access point, several how to and videos will give you the basic idea . You have to disable the router portion of the AC1900 and just use its wireless portion. It may have a feature called "access point" that does this for you). In this set up, the modem/router would still act as a router, and would still be broadcasting its own wifi. If you have the ability to wire in the 2nd device (AC1900) via cat5e or cat6 in another room on the opposite side of the house you would increase your coverage area. In this case you would give each device and band (2.4 or 5ghz) the same SSID and password, allowing your devices to choose which access point to connect to. Pros: increased signal strength around the house. Cons: have to run network cable between two access points or use power line adapters, and some devices don't hand off nicely between networks (they try to hang on to the first access point even if you move closer to a 2nd one)

Option 2
Disabling the router/wifi feature of the Zoom modem/router and using it only as a modem (if this option is available in the admin settings, it may be called "bridge mode", or it just may not be available at all for the user to disable). In this case you would then use the AC1900 as a router as you would behind any cable modem.

Option 3
Purchase a standalone cable modem and standalone router and proceed setting up the networks that way.

Ooh I forgot option #4. Just plug the AC1900 in to the zoom router/modem, and set up the AC1900's wifi with different SSIDs. You will be double NAT which may cause issues with devices that need to be seen from the internet, but shouldn't cause issues with devices just wanting to connect to the internet. Also you will have issues with devices not seeing each other if they are not connected to the same router (IE network printer )

Confused much? My suggestion is option #1 if you are able to wire in the 2nd device. In my setup, I have a dual band main router and a old wireless router turned into access point wired in on the opposite side of my house (no wifi dead spots here or in the either yard).

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to comcastcape

Premium Member

to comcastcape
I'm assuming that she has the Zoom 5352?

If so, I had this gateway before.

Under the "Security" tab, you can check the bubble for "Bridge" instead of "Router." Then reboot it with your router connected.

Also, you have to go back into the settings and turn off the Zoom's wireless. For some reason, the wireless still remains active and unusable when in bridge mode.

comcastcape
@verizon.net

comcastcape

Anon

Thanks to all for the input

Knowing that it can be done is most of the battle

I should figure it based on this input

T