Search similar:

uniqs
cissado
Premium Member
join:2008-01-14
Clifton, NJ

cissado

Premium Member

[Help] Accord ICM or replace distributor?

Hello, my 1994 accord LX has done this twice in the past 2 months. Today it cranked strongly but did not start. After about 5 minutes or so of occasional attempts, it finally started and continues to start. It had done this once before 2 months ago and I thought it was bad gas or something.

Now after reading a bit, it seems it could be the Ignition control module inside the distributor. But it could also be a couple of other things including the distributor. Since the distributor is relatively low priced online($70), I thought I may just replace that altogether. Having said that, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just handy with tools, but not with a car. I would possibly have a friend do it. What do you guys think of replacing the whole distributor? Would it be easier for me to just replace the ICM? How come some of them are $15 and some are $50? They all say they fit a 94 accord.

Here's how I got to this point. I called my local mechanic and he says he needs to see the car having the problem, What!? It happens once every two months! Then he says replace the whole distributor.... after I mentioned it. Then he says the distributor alone costs $300. (PLUS Labor) I know it's not apples to apples, but I see them online for $70.

I guess I can can go somewhere else, but does this look like I can diy or have someone else do it if I get the part?
hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

hosedagain3

Is the $70 distributor new or used? How much is the ICM to replace?
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado

Premium Member

New distributor but it is not oem of course. He did not give me an option to replace the ICM. I asked if he could replace that. I actually thought he would just do the basic electrical test, spark test etc.. He just wants to replace the distributor. That's why I'm here.

The ICM online costs $20-$40+. I would rather do that if it's an easier fix in terms of difficulty for a novice.

lolsad
@optonline.net

lolsad to cissado

Anon

to cissado
said by cissado:

Here's how I got to this point. I called my local mechanic and he says he needs to see the car having the problem, What!? It happens once every two months!

Yep What! That is exactly what a good mechanic would say, he can't diagnose something that he can't see... and anything else would just be parts changing and may or may not solve the issue leaving you with a bill and a non working car still (and unhappy) however as I can see, either way you will be unhappy.

As for price, I'd ask what he is putting in / just call for a OEM price cause it has to be OEM at those costs.
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado

Premium Member

So, I should wait 2 months until/if it happens again, then call him at 630AM (he opens at 10) to look at it because it doesn't start? After the initial non-starting cranking, it does start about 5 minutes later. Hopefully I am home and can just tow it to his shop at the time or maybe he can make a house visit.

Paying $300 for the part is one thing, but doing it without diagnostics is another. Personally I would take a chance, but I expect the mechanic to use proper tools and diagnostics.

Having said all that, I did go overboard earlier. I was a bit upset and may have been harsh. There's two sides to every story, I guess.

lolwut
@optonline.net

lolwut

Anon

How do you diagnose an issue you can't reproduce? I never told you to wait 2 months, call at 6:30am, etc. I am telling you, you won't be happy no matter what this guy does.

He can not diagnose an issue he cant reproduce, if he changes a part and it does not fix the issue, you will be upset he changed a part that was not bad, and if he does nothing, you are upset now...

So no matter what unless the guy gets lucky you won't be happy. He's doing the right thing telling you he needs the car while it is not working to fix it correctly.

That is *all* I'm telling you, rather than throwing parts at it, this guy is saying "hey I can't fix it right if I can't see it not working"

The part price as I said sounds high, I'd ask him if it is OEM, you aint gona get it for online price, but that's a crazy mark up if not OEM depending on OEM price.

Can you change it... idk maybe, google it and see if it looks like something you want to do.

I had to rip the shut off solenoid off my truck and replace it, easy job, but little nerve racking the first time as, install it wrong, lock the fuel wide open, end up with a run away (diesel motor) you don't have to worry about that with gas but... point is easy job vs want to do it different... I did not want to do that lol.

master1000
join:2001-02-22
Fort Pierre, SD

master1000 to cissado

to cissado
With old Honda's that have random no starts the first thing to check is the main FI relay that is located near the steering column and kind of a pain to get to but there are many tutorial's on the web on how to get at it and how to look it over.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

1 recommendation

daveinpoway to cissado

Premium Member

to cissado
Whether it involves a car, electronic equipment or something else, intermittent conditions are the most frustrating things to diagnose and repair, since tests will likely show no issues when the problem is not happening.

If the problem only happens every few months and it is not an inconvenience to wait for 5 minutes in order to get the car started, perhaps a good course of action is to do nothing right now and wait for the problem to happen more often, at which time it will be easier to diagnose.
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado to lolwut

Premium Member

to lolwut
Lolwut, you've been making good points since post one. Thanks for everything. It just took me a while to get it. I'm having a very bad month.

Master1000, wow, yes that also seems like it could be it. It's funny. As of yesterday, I had decided to just purchase the $20 ICM and replace it myself, but now I may just do the Relay and replace it first.

I don't mind waiting for the problem to happen more often, but I just didn't want my wife to get stuck away from home with it. It's my wife's car. I'll try this relay fix, then wait and see. The relay was $18. The ICM is next at $20... but one step at a time.

Thanks all. I like to post updates, but I don't think I can tell the outcome for a while. So I may not be able to do so.

Thanks again.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

I did not realize that it was your wife's car. Unfortunately, depending on whether what you replace at this time is the cause of the problem, she still might encounter a no-start condition in the foreseeable future.

Do you have AAA (or some other roadside assistance plan)? If you do, this means that she will not be stranded if the car does not start.

The next time that the car fails to start, if you are present, you could crank the engine for awhile, then remove a spark plug and see if the insulator is wet with gas and the plug has a strong gasoline odor. If so, the EFI system (including the relay) is working and the problem would appear to be ignition-related. Not likely that your wife is trained to remove and examine spark plugs, so she probably would not be able to perform this test.
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado to master1000

Premium Member

to master1000
said by master1000:

relay that is located near the steering column and kind of a pain to get to

**Update** I just installed the above relay. Yes, it was tough to get to, but it's done. No idea if that was the culprit, but for $18, it's worth it to get rid of that chance of being stranded. If the same thing happens in a month or two.... back to the drawing board. Ha! Thanks everyone.

Honestly, the next thing would be the ICM if it happens again. Just because it happens so infrequently, I can take these low priced guesses now. ICM is $15 or so.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka

MVM

Installing a super-cheap ICM could be introducing a new problem.

In my experience, cheap ignition modules are very often more trouble than they are worth.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to cissado

Premium Member

to cissado
If this happens when it is warmer out, open the driver door for a couple of minutes to lower the temperature in the interior. If the vehicle now cranks and will run, the Main Relay has a cold solder joint and there is intermittent contact that is open in higher temperatures. This is a common fault; it is not the ICM.

If it were mine, I would R&I the Main Relay, take it apart, resolder the circuit legs and keep driving it. That's what I did with my Accord and Prelude.

master1000
join:2001-02-22
Fort Pierre, SD

master1000 to cissado

to cissado
Click for full size
If you open up the relay and find what is in this picture the relay is faulty and was most likely the culprit.
cissado
Premium Member
Clifton, NJ

cissado

Premium Member

said by master1000:

If you open up the relay and find what is in this picture the relay is faulty and was most likely the culprit.

Wow, I ALWAYS keep stuff to test them out, but this time I had already thrown away the old unit. I did look at it but couldn't tell what I was looking at. I wish I had this picture when I did. Thank to all, again, for the help.

I will also look for the better quality replacements if I do the ICM route or anything else for this. So far so good, but I'll only know if I go 3 or 4 months without it happening again. It may have been worth the time.

Thanks.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to master1000

MVM

to master1000
said by master1000:

With old Honda's that have random no starts the first thing to check is the main FI relay that is located near the steering column and kind of a pain to get to but there are many tutorial's on the web on how to get at it and how to look it over.

Been there, done that with my old Civic HB - went a good while before it went bad.