Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Locate a car made in 1980?

Is there any way to locate a car made prior to 1981? I am trying to locate a car I once owned which is a 1980 Z28.

Thanks!

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Doubt it unless you know the vin and it is listed in for sale. Otherwise you would need access to dumb records on the off chance it is still around. Problem is - it canbe in someone's garage and not registered.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I have my old registration card for it if I could actually find out how to search the vin.
Johkal

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

Click for full size
Just for the heck of it, here it is/was when it was still stock.

readfirst
@optonline.net

readfirst to Johkal

Anon

to Johkal
There is stuff out there for pros not sure if you would be allowed to access it... also depends alot on state etc...

»www.add123.com/

PLEASE don't just pay the $4.95 and READ what you get, pretty sure you DON'T get owner info... we have an account for looking up impounds, yes it gets the last reg owners info.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Johkal

MVM

to Johkal
Without access to DMV systems - the only way to search via VIN is via google to see if it is listed on any car sales.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Ok, thanks!

standby
@optonline.net

standby to CylonRed

Anon

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Without access to DMV systems - the only way to search via VIN is via google to see if it is listed on any car sales.

Link will be incoming when the post is approved... stand by!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to readfirst

MVM

to readfirst
Neat site, Thank you. I searched with no results. Damn!

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

1 recommendation

MooJohn to Johkal

to Johkal
A carfax report would show you where it was last registered and when, which would give you at least a general area to concentrate your search.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

1 recommendation

fartness (banned)

said by MooJohn:

A carfax report would show you where it was last registered and when, which would give you at least a general area to concentrate your search.

If lucky it might show some recent maintenance history too.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

said by fartness:

said by MooJohn:

If lucky it might show some recent maintenance history too.

It's a 35 year old car. I doubt any records have been kept since the late 80s, maybe early 90s at the very latest.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

If the person who owns it now takes it in for an oil change tomorrow at a place that submits Carfax data, it should show it, regardless of how old the car is.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
Sometimes it's better not to know. Just for fun, I searched for the VIN of a car I sold 3 years ago, and found it was in a horrible accident 6 months after I sold it:

»www.salvage-car.info/sal ··· 12260223

First car I ever bought new, owned it for 12 years, which is the longest I've ever owned a car ... it hurt to see it in that shape!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Wow, that car is bad.

I actually want to try and buy it in any condition. Lots of memories and the 3 years I worked the heck out of it building it.
Johkal

Johkal

MVM

Another pic just because. Back shot when it was done. You can only see the Cragar Fanstars and it is raised 3".
mob (banned)
On the next level..
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to fartness

to fartness
The car was probably taken off the road years ago.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

1 recommendation

mattmag

said by mob:

The car was probably taken off the road years ago.

What an amazingly supportive post....Not.

Johkal See Profile IM Sent....

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Sent one back. Thanks!

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
Not sure if all states do it but California has a smog inspection history site.

»www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebque ··· Qry.aspx

It may tell you if it's been smogged in a state that tests and allows searches.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Johkal

to Johkal
In the 70s my parents traded in old blue on new green car at a dealer. Dealer sold it before title track sferfed. In southern AZ and local cops did a drug raid on us as traded in car got caught smuggling drugs.
Records are not always current especially that old. Maybe crushed by now do you want to know.
Like a dead pet years later get a new one to love even of old.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

said by nonymous:

In the 70s my parents traded in old blue on new green car at a dealer. Dealer sold it before title track sferfed. In southern AZ and local cops did a drug raid on us as traded in car got caught smuggling drugs.
Records are not always current especially that old. Maybe crushed by now do you want to know.
Like a dead pet years later get a new one to love even of old.

Indeed.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to TheHarvester

MVM

to TheHarvester
Thanks!
Johkal

Johkal to nonymous

MVM

to nonymous
Not just memories for me; some of the parts on this car if still there are worth trying to find my car rather than starting from scratch with another 1980 z28. The expense & finding another M22 Rock Crusher from a 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 would kill me.

* I know you can find M22s from other cars.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 recommendation

hortnut

Nice about the GM products of that era and before, they shared many parts, many mundane like rotors for example. If I would have had the money would have bought the Families 1970 Monte Carlo with the 350 and 4 bbl. Over 350,000 miles without even removing the valve covers. Dad bought it as an off lease from a Nordstom mucky mucky in 1972. All paint original and also the interior. No rust here on the West side of the Cascades and garaged since bought. Decent mileage on the road, too. He sold it for 5 times what he paid for it.

Had a 1979 Chev 1/2 ton pickup turned into a farm truck. Parts cheap, including OEM. Of course your ride had specific parts.

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

1 recommendation

seaquake to rjackal

MVM

to rjackal
Those pics remind me of the "they survived" Subaru commercial.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to Johkal

to Johkal
Just a question, but why would you "raise" the vehicle 3 inches? Was it to make it handle even worse? Wheel well gaps were hot back then?

Just curious.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

People were on a lot of drugs back then, the car manufacturers included. I used to have a 1980 Corvette; what a loaf that thing was.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to mob

MVM

to mob
So I could put G60s on it.
Handling? LOL It was a quarter mile car by the way. Took the 3.08:1 out of it and put a Zoom 4.10:1 in it.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

The expense & finding another M22 Rock Crusher from a 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 would kill me.

Oh, that brings back memories - I had one of those in a '56 Belair. As I recall, it was a wide ratio build and whined like a blower. My '55s had the close ratio Muncie M21, worked well with the 4:11 differential.