Search similar:

uniqs

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

1 edit

gjrhine

Apple Watch Impressions

I hear demand for the Apple Watch is anticipated to be excellent and may exceed supply at first so you need an appointment at a Apple Store to order one. Has anyone seen a method for making a reservation yet?

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

Re: Apple Watch Appointments

Nope. At this point, I'd call your local store and inquire.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Reservations can be scheduled April 10

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to gjrhine

Mod

to gjrhine
these guys are experts at marketing.

our product is so hot you have to make a reservation to buy it

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I don't think regular Apple Joe won't be able to buy one in store for a 2-3 months at least, without going thru some hassle.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by HiVolt:

I don't think regular Apple Joe won't be able to buy one in store for a 2-3 months at least, without going thru some hassle.

IMHO there'd be no problem getting the 42mm Watch (mid level pricing).
The Sport will sell out (low end pricing) quickly.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Reservations can be scheduled April 10

How can that be if that is the first day for appointments?

I have pretty much settled on the 42mm Stainless Steel Case with Light Brown Leather Loop - matches my Tuscan calf leather luggage.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

IMHO there'd be no problem getting the 42mm Watch (mid level pricing).
The Sport will sell out (low end pricing) quickly.

I would've agreed with you ...

Until I saw the iPhone 6+ sell out so quickly.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Limited supply + larger screen.

I'm impressed people even like those things. I think they're huge. I wonder which one will be hotter... 38 or 44mm.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to gjrhine

to gjrhine
according to Brittany...
haroldo

haroldo to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

... I wonder which one will be hotter... 38 or 44mm.

The 42 mm looks massive, I'm going to save a few bucks and get the 38mm

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to haroldo

Mod

to haroldo
I knew Ms. Spears hit a low in her career but sheesh.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

according to Brittany...

What I am saying is I think you need a reservation in advance for the try on session. no?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Mike

MVM,

to Mike
Reservation is to try it on. You can buy whatever you want through the presale or walking into an Apple Store (assuming they have stock). The rumor is the stores will reserve some stock for the appointments, but that doesn't mean you can't place an order online.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to gjrhine

to gjrhine
I asked a couple of times, same answer.
From what I gathered, the reservation system opens up the day they're in the store. In any event, won't be long now.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Reservation is to try it on

Ok so how do I make one for April 10?
gjrhine

gjrhine to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

In any event, won't be long

Ok but I want it and I want it NOW!

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to gjrhine

MVM,

to gjrhine
Be on the website first on April 10th? Or be first in line for a walkin appointment.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Will probably have to hire somebody.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal to gjrhine

Premium Member

to gjrhine
Everything that's known so far:
»9to5mac.com/2015/03/30/a ··· ntments/

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Or be first in line for a walkin appointment.

Good luck with that.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
Please tell me that exchange is false? Magical day?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I think she lives in California, so...

Steve Jobs lives!

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to rjackal

to rjackal
Ok it looks like making a reservation on the 10th to "try-on the watch you order and compare it to others before buying" on the 24th at the store is the way to go.

This will avoid the lines. And there are sure to be lines because Apple will see to it for the Evening News. Then the stock price will bump up some more.

Good stuff!

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Better idea...
Tell them you want an Edition.
They'll bend over backwards to accommodate you ("...grey poupon?") and when you're in the store trying it on, change your mind. You could say... "I really don't like the way it looks on me...do you have a black watch?"
Sleazy? Yup!
Buy, if you have no shame, pride nor patience, it's the way to go!

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Uh no...

When it is all said and done the Edition may be the way I go.
gjrhine

gjrhine

Terrific article in the Wall Street Journal today revealing some new (to me) features that sound great.

"Apple Watch Review: The Smartwatch Finally Makes Sense"
»www.wsj.com/articles/app ··· ?mod=LS1

For example - "Taking a photo: A wrist app gives a live view of your iPhone’s high-quality rear camera—so you can set the phone up for a better selfie."

Nice.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

I was going to post »www.nytimes.com/2015/04/ ··· tch.html - pretty good description of a week with a new smart watch - about the same experience with Android Wear or the Gear S (I went through the learning curve with both of those too.) Looks like the Apple watch has the same limitations of those, and the same pluses for those who are addicted to their phones

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

said by JohnInSJ:

pluses for those who are addicted to their phones

The Watch puts your iPhone in it's proper place - your pocket.

haroldo
USA

3 edits

1 recommendation

haroldo

Finally, an advantage to being an early riser (typically up ~3 EDT) just in time to place an order!

round up of reviews
»www.macrumors.com/2015/0 ··· roundup/
quote:
Joshua Topolsky, Bloomberg:
"The watch is not life-changing. It is, however, excellent. Apple will sell millions of these devices, and many people will love and obsess over them. It is a wonderful component of a big ecosystem that the company has carefully built over many years. It is more seamless and simple than any of its counterparts in the marketplace. It is, without question, the best smartwatch in the world."

Farhad Manjoo, The New York Times:

"It was only on Day 4 that I began appreciating the ways in which the elegant $650 computer on my wrist was more than just another screen. By notifying me of digital events as soon as they happened, and letting me act on them instantly, without having to fumble for my phone, the Watch become something like a natural extension of my body—a direct link, in a way that I’ve never felt before, from the digital world to my brain. […]

What’s more, unlike previous breakthrough Apple products, the Watch’s software requires a learning curve that may deter some people. There’s a good chance it will not work perfectly for most consumers right out of the box, because it is best after you fiddle with various software settings to personalize use. Indeed, to a degree unusual for a new Apple device, the Watch is not suited for tech novices. It is designed for people who are inundated with notifications coming in through their phones, and for those who care to think about, and want to try to manage, the way the digital world intrudes on their lives."

Geoffrey Fowler, The Wall Street Journal:

"With the Apple Watch, smartwatches finally make sense. The measure of their success shouldn’t be how well they suck you in, but how efficiently they help you get things done. Living on your arm is part of that efficiency—as a convenient display, but also a way to measure your heart rate or pay at a cash register. This is a big idea about how we use technology, the kind of idea we expect from Apple. […]

Yet the Apple Watch isn’t quite the gatekeeper to my digital life that I wanted. Take app alerts—there’s a fine line between being in the know and having your wrist jiggle all day. It never got horrible for me, because Apple lets you assign VIP status to individual contacts and specify which apps can trigger alerts. But setting up all of this is a tedious—and unfortunately ongoing—chore."

Nilay Patel, The Verge:

"There’s no question that the Apple Watch is the most capable smartwatch available today. It is one of the most ambitious products I’ve ever seen; it wants to do and change so much about how we interact with technology. But that ambition robs it of focus: it can do tiny bits of everything, instead of a few things extraordinarily well. For all of its technological marvel, the Apple Watch is still a smartwatch, and it’s not clear that anyone’s yet figured out what smartwatches are actually for."

Lauren Goode, Re/code:
"Not everyone has an iPhone 5 or later, which is required for the watch to work. Not everyone wants her wrist pulsing with notifications, finds animated emojis thrilling or needs to control an Apple TV with her wrist. Smartwatches can sometimes feel like a solution in search of a problem. […]

One day this past week, I woke up at 5:15 am, exercised for an hour using the Watch, ran Maps during my commute, made phones calls and received notifications throughout the whole day, and by 11:00 pm the Watch was just hitting its Power Reserve point."

David Pogue, Yahoo Tech:

"The Apple Watch is light-years better than any of the feeble, clunky efforts that have come before it. The screen is nicer, the software is refined and bug-free, the body is real jewelry. First-time technologies await at every turn: Magnetic bands, push-to-release straps, wrist-to-wrist drawings or Morse codes, force pressing, credit-card payments from the wrist. And the symbiosis with the iPhone is graceful, out of your way, and intelligent.

But the true answer to that question is this: You don’t need one. Nobody needs a smartwatch. After all, it’s something else to buy, care for, charge every night. It’s another cable to pack and track. Your phone already serves most of its purposes. With the battery-life situation as it is, technology is just barely in place to make such a device usable at all."...