Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to gjrhine

MVM,

to gjrhine

Re: Apple Watch Appointments

Looks like they only make the next 3-6 days available at a time, so you might have to wait until late next week (or around the 18-20th) to book it.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

said by Thinkdiff:

Looks like they only make the next 3-6 days available at a time, so you might have to wait until late next week (or around the 18-20th) to book it.

Yeah all of these limitations create more buzz. I think the eBay guys may do alright.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to gjrhine

to gjrhine
4-6 weeks out already? June shipping on some? And people woke up to buy one early this AM? Really?

And the kicker for me is, the Edition, the $13-17k watch is JULY-AUGUST shipping already?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

*breathe*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good thing I don't want an Apple Watch yet.

Even so, my AAPL stock should see a nice bump from this.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

1 recommendation

gjrhine

said by neuronbob:

Good thing I don't want an Apple Watch yet.

Funny how that response suggests just the opposite.

We understand.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to gjrhine

to gjrhine
Just looked at the bands.

A proper stainless steel bracelet is $449? On top of the watch? Are you f'ing kidding me?

Believe me, I can afford it, but you will have to prove the value for money at that point. I can buy a nice low-level Swiss watch, like an Oris, for that money, that will last a lifetime.

I'm usually bleeding edge with Apple stuff, but I will depend on you early adopters to convince me that the Apple Watch is as well built as a real Swiss watch.

Please excuse me as I get over my sticker shock.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

said by neuronbob:

I will depend on you early adopters to convince me

Yeah stand by for that. That's going to happen. checking my schedule. lol

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Half hour after order time, I had no problem setting up an appointment in NJ for this afternoon

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to gjrhine

to gjrhine
said by gjrhine:

said by neuronbob:

I will depend on you early adopters to convince me

Yeah stand by for that. That's going to happen. lol

It worked with the iPad. *shrugs* It took me a full year to jump on that bandwagon. That's slow for me.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Half hour after order time, I had no problem setting up an appointment in NJ for this afternoon

Checking a few stores they all seem just a few days out. Probably so much demand they probably don't want wasted appts for people forgetting weeks later.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by gjrhine:

Checking a few stores they all seem just a few days out. Probably so much demand they probably don't want wasted appts for people forgetting weeks later.

Putting my Apple Store appointment time slot on eBay with a $50 buy it now...who knows, maybe I'll get a buyer!

(just kidding)

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

1 recommendation

gjrhine

Do you take Paypal?

(just kidding)

(maybe)

haroldo
USA

haroldo

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to gjrhine

Premium Member

to gjrhine
There's that link on the order confirmation page to share what you ordered on Facebook, but this is what I get when I click on that link.

And yes, that's what appears on FB (quickly deleted, of course). The Twitter link worked fine.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Heard from a co-worker who was in the city late last night...there was a line around the corner at the NY store...for people waiting to sign up for appointments. I find that pretty hard to believe.

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to gjrhine

to gjrhine
It boggles the mind. Staring into space (iPod), staring at a block (iPhone/iPad), staring at your wrist (iWatch). Comedians are taking notice, too. In the new season of Louie there's a scene in nearly every episode exploiting our dependence on gadgets to occupy time.

At least I won't be buying into the Watch. As I didn't the phone. But I'm still on the net way too much. I really don't want to be upset on my deathbed because I'm too ill to iStare.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Titus:

... there's a scene in nearly every episode exploiting our dependence on gadgets to occupy time.

Watch the movie Her »www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Heard from a co-worker who was in the city late last night...there was a line around the corner at the NY store...for people waiting to sign up for appointments. I find that pretty hard to believe.

Not that hard to believe at all. If you remember the 6/6+ launch, there were tons of Asians there to buy phones to ship back to China. Should be pretty funny to observe when they're told by interpreters that they can't buy shit today and it's only available online and the all leave en masse. LOL

Probably the same for others that don't bother to read any tech news and they just want to come and buy one--like they're used to with other Apple launches.
BellBoy

3 edits

BellBoy to gjrhine

Premium Member

to gjrhine
For the hell of it, I ran out to a local store at their opening and it was pretty much a non event. There was a news crew there--one--and some Apple corporate types that were there to snap some pics that will probably show up on the site.

I played with the demo watch for a bit and I think I'm going to like it a lot. I have a Pebble on every day, so some of the niggles of some of the reviews I've read won't bother me at all.

I was able to try on a watch without an appointment because the crowds just weren't there. I was able to try on a bunch of different bands and here's my take on them--I didn't try on the modern buckle since they're being dicks about not putting it on the 42s.

Leather band with classic buckle: underwhelmed. Honestly, I was expecting more with all of the hoopla building up to the reveal.

I have a Breitling with a leather band--now THAT'S a leather band...two different colors of leather on top and bottom with a nice padding in the middle and a beautiful 2-part stainless clasp that clicks together cleanly every time.

Apple's version of leather is nothing that I'm familiar with in all of my years owning various leather bands--expensive and cheap. It feels...how do I say this...like it's somehow plasticized. It doesn't feel like leather to me. That's the band that I chose and perhaps I need to spend more time with it, but that's my initial take on it.

Leather loop: again, underwhelmed. The marketing materials make this sound so luxuriant--like you're rubbing butter all over your wrist when you put it on. Like the other leather band, this feels like plastic to me. The magnets inside make it feel stiff and the leather just doesn't change the feeling like you're putting on one of those metal bracelets that you slap on your wrist and it wraps around it.

However, I do like the feel of it once it's on my wrist. It holds the watch fast and when it does move you don't feel like anything is digging into your wrist. This might be my other choice for a main band--I was just expecting more when the word leather is used.

Milanese loop: very disappointing. I'm really starting to think that this is meant to be a product for ladies only. I have larger than average sized hands and it was a struggle to get in on my wrist. You can't take it apart, so you have to push it down over your hand to get it on. I'm also a pretty hairy guy and you might as well have called this the "cheese grater" loop because I have a nice bald spot on my wrist now. So be warned...you have to be hairless and have tiny hands to enjoy this band.

Milanese loop band wearer.

Metal link bracelet: very nice! Finally one that I like, right? Well there's no way in hell that I'm putting out over $400 for it. It's very well built and feels great when you have it on. I was worried about the hair pulling of the loop, but it wasn't there. As much as I spun the watch on my wrist, I didn't get a single hair pulled. Of course it could have been that I didn't have any hair left from the loop, but I kid the cheese grater loop.

If the price came down to an affordable level this might be my everyday band. But if you'll pardon the expression: no fucking way.

Sport band: pleasantly surprised. This may turn out to be my every day band. It feels wonderful to the touch; not cheap or knockoff plastic feeling. It is a bit of a struggle to get in on the first couple of times without resting the watch on something, but over time I think I will get the hang of it.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

1 edit

1 recommendation

The Dv8or to gjrhine

Premium Member

to gjrhine
I suck and decided to sleep instead of staying up to 1AM. I ordered 4 watches for June delivery. Should still be able to make a profit on them.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to The Dv8or

to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

Im gonna try and make a buck on these. I set up a separate Apple ID so I can do a couple of purchases, as theyre limiting one per person. Get my watches, throw em up on the eBay, and watch the dollars roll in.

Did you do this?

"Apple Watch Pre-Orders Hit eBay With Asking Prices Up to $2,000"

»www.macrumors.com/2015/0 ··· ch-ebay/

haroldo
USA

2 edits

haroldo to gjrhine

to gjrhine
3:30 appointment to try on a watch and the store is a madhouse. Not this crowded since weeks before Christmas.

42 is too massive. IMHO

Both are tough to wear with a cuffed dress shirt

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to gjrhine

Premium Member

to gjrhine
said by gjrhine:

said by The Dv8or:

Im gonna try and make a buck on these. I set up a separate Apple ID so I can do a couple of purchases, as theyre limiting one per person. Get my watches, throw em up on the eBay, and watch the dollars roll in.

Did you do this?

"Apple Watch Pre-Orders Hit eBay With Asking Prices Up to $2,000"

»www.macrumors.com/2015/0 ··· ch-ebay/

I saw those. I cant in, good conscience, put just the confirmation up there, especially if something happens to my order. I want the watch in hand before I put it up for bid so I know I can fulfill my end of the bargain. Unfortunately, there seems to be no punishment for not paying for shit on eBay anymore. I have two items out there now sitting unpaid, both of which are up there for the second time already.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to haroldo

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

3:30 appointment to try on a watch and the store is a madhouse. Not this crowded since weeks before Christmas.

42 is too massive. IMHO

Both are tough to wear with a cuffed dress shirt

Good thing I'm done with cuffed dress shirts unless somebody gets married, dies or both. lol Not sure you want it hidden away anyhow.

When I visit the NYC Fifth Avenue store every Christmas holiday season it's packed all the time. Even the middle of the night (I'm told).

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to haroldo

MVM,

to haroldo
Do you happen to know how big your wrist is? Mine is ~188mm, which seems to be the middle territory between the 38 and 42 models. Having a hard time deciding.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I'm tall (6' 3"), but have smallish wrist (I'm 187 lbs). I measured my wrist with the PDF that Apple posted a few weeks ago and don't remember, but I was somewhat midway through the range.
The 42 is large, really large, even if you have a big wrist...IMHO...If I were you, I'd run to the store and try it on. As it stands right now, you aint getting the watch for a month or two, so a few extra days one way or the other won't change things much

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Do you happen to know how big your wrist is? Mine is ~188mm, which seems to be the middle territory between the 38 and 42 models. Having a hard time deciding.

Since you kinda need to know what the size of your wrist is if you're ordering the leather loop (I've found out that mine is about 185mm, or maybe a bit more) and I've found that the 42mm is the best size for me. My (original) Pebble screen is almost the exact same size as the 42's, so that's perfect for me.

The 38 is just too small to read without my glasses as I can just glance down without putting them on and still make out everything on my Pebble and the 42mm.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Measuring at the point where I showed the 42" model in photo above, a string held, not too tightly, measured 7 ΒΌ".
Some may wear it higher or lower on the wrist or may like it looser or tighter, so in this case YMMV

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

said by haroldo:

Some may wear it higher or lower on the wrist or may like it looser or tighter, so in this case YMMV

That is what I like about the magnetic ones like the Leather Loop - kind of variable fit. Or are they all that way?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by gjrhine:

That is what I like about the magnetic ones like the Leather Loop - kind of variable fit. Or are they all that way?

The low end sport band has 10? holes so you can adjust to any way you like.
It really doesn't matter at this point in time, since, if the initial demand continues, they'll sell tens of millions of these watches and there will be hundreds of third party bands available in the next few months.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

That would be good. I am going to need a variety of them to match my mood, outfit, occasion, Tuscan calf leather luggage and alligator belt.