norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

[WIN8] USB card reader

Hello All,

This one has me stumped and wondered if any advice could resolve this.

My usb card reader has stopped working, now you would think this a hardware forum question, however with all my troubleshooting, uninstall, install, differing ports etc, all the standard paths, nothing helps, including a repair install of a relatively clean Win 8 x64 (installed since Xmas).
This has occurred only in the last 2 sets of updates.

Plug in my hard drive with Win 10, and voila, the card reader is there.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I have 2 card readers and one USB/FW to SATA enclosure that died. I know this is not what you want to hear, but chances are good that you need to look for a replacement.

There is also a possibility of HW incompatibility: try one or two other systems -- if it still doesn't work then you can consider the HW failure more or less confirmed.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for your input aurgathor.

I was thinking of replacement until it appeared in Win 10 the moment I fired it up, as if nothing was wrong.
Everything is showing as working fine and I've not had any issues what so ever in Win 10 to suggest anything was wrong.

The issue is only there for Win 8.

On other computers I do not have usb3 headers to test with, so I'm out of luck there.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to norwegian

MVM

to norwegian
I wish I could find the link and gave up but a couple mentioned problems with usb 2.0 versus 3.0 after a window's update just recently. I had a problem with my keyboard having tried more then one before attempting to just plug it into a different usb port on my computer. Then I was downloading usb drives for that port and it worked. Happened to someone else also however no one else mentioned a problem so I just assumed an isolated incident.

Anyway, I am assuming you tried a different port and to uninstall the updates to test?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

1 recommendation

norwegian

Premium Member

Hello dandelion,

I was another affected by the keyboard issue and am aware of the problem.
It is still there for me on the port the board was initially involved with.

1. Yes I have changed ports. Mind you only for the usb3.0. Maybe I need to look at an external usb port (it uses an internal usb plug not a header)
You actually maybe onto something there.

2. I've not touched updates.
It wasn't until this morning with Win 10 did I think there maybe a resolution (been off it for a month)

I'm presently updating Win 10 and will check a few more points of interest later.

Thanks

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to norwegian

MVM

to norwegian
Good luck @norwegian .. nothing on google that I know of either. Perhaps someone will come along with a good answer. I haven't testing moving my keyboard back to the previous usb .. just happy I have a keyboard.

If I see any further information will be sure to let you know!

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to norwegian

Mod

to norwegian
When you say the card reader has stopped working how has it stopped working?

Does the card reader show up in the Device Manager without error?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

2 edits

norwegian

Premium Member

Hello auggy,

With Win 8.1: all updates, it does not show in device manager at all.
It does not show in explorer.

With Win10, it shows in device manager and in explorer.

I will make note now I've been using Win 10, I am seeing errors that were errors in Win 8.1 for keyboard issues.
The behavior for my keyboard in Win 10 seems to be the same as it was in Win 8.1, plugged into this card reader's usb ports it has slower response.
(no where close to the same level of problem though)

See this link for the error logs for Win 8.1. At the time I looked high and low for possible usb3.0 drivers I was missing, including looking in the motherboard cd and nothing helped resolve the issue.
»Re: Windows update broke my keyboard

Motherboard is an ASrock Extreme4 with an i5-4570
Card reader is a Thermaltake
»www.thermaltake.com.au/p ··· 00001923

I have no problems with replacing it, but would like to know I have exhausted troubleshooting steps.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

There have been reports of some devices in Windows 8 and Windows 7 being detected as a device that they are not.

For instance USB external hard drives and USB external optical drives.

Here is an example:

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 404a02b2

Not sure if this issue has been occurring with card readers but with the card reader connected can you check the Device Manager for "Initio Combo Device Class".

Is that category there?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for the link, I had a quick read of it and will boot to Win 8 over the weekend and see if I can follow the device tree closer to see what I can find.

It would account for the "need software/driver" alert I see however I didn't notice it in the win 10 system from a brief look.

I'll let you know after the weekend how it pans out.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

Keyboard......plugged into this card reader's usb ports it has slower response

Is the card reader fully functional in W10 ? Do the memory slots read memory chips ?

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to norwegian

MVM

to norwegian
What is the exact Make and Model # of the USB Card Reader?

I'm thinking that Win 8's Default drivers no longer work for that device's chipset (due to the previously mentioned 'Update' ) That would also explain why Win 10 is working fine with it...

I'd Look for a Windows 8.1 driver directly from that device's Manufacturer.

HTH.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to SipSizzurp

Premium Member

to SipSizzurp

Yep, sure does.

And I've not installed all drivers yet as per screen shot for Win 10.
I've not researched enough and as mentioned will look over the weekend.
They are all Intel drivers off a Z87 chipset.
norwegian

norwegian to Tursiops_G

Premium Member

to Tursiops_G

I've mentioned the hardware (Thermaltake) and it's home link above Tursiop-G just up from auggy's last reply.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G

MVM

Ah, Missed it... Haven't had my morning coffee yet...
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
Maybe it will show up in device manager if you set it to show devices not connected.
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 583.aspx

If so then you might be able to delete it and re-install.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Thanks for this info.
Will add it to the troubleshoot process and let you know.
norwegian

1 recommendation

norwegian

Premium Member

Well, for all the work pulling my computer apart, resetting everything to no avail and then starting this topic, I've booted to Win 8 and all is showing now.

There are a couple of errors I'll post later, but for now it's all working again.
Stranger things have happened I guess.

My computer is doing a good job of discrediting me.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

2 edits

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

My computer is doing a good job of discrediting me.

Not at all. Your computer just happened to notice the giant can of whoop-ass that you had gotten down from the top shelf and it chose to start working, seeing what the alternative was.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

LMAO
norwegian

norwegian to SipSizzurp

Premium Member

to SipSizzurp
said by SipSizzurp:

Maybe it will show up in device manager if you set it to show devices not connected.
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 583.aspx

Thanks again for that - I remember utilizing it when beta testing Kaspersky but had forgotten it till your mention of it.

A couple of HID errors related to disconnected devices not installed, so I've exported the reg keys, uninstalled the devices and the errors have stopped for now.
Will see what happens over the next few days.
norwegian

norwegian to auggy

Premium Member

to auggy
auggy,

There did not seem to be mention of this incorrect device detection.
However there was error logs of devices no longer installed.

auggy
Mod
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

I don't believe the incorrect device detection occurred in your case as if that was the issue it would be unlikely that it would have resolved by itself.