spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

[Electrical] Leaving CFL Bulbs On For Extended Periods

I've been using some CFL bulbs my power company sent me in various locations throughout my house. A few years back, I had a CFL make an audible pop followed by the smell of burning plastic and scorch marks on the bulb. Ever since then, I've been leery about leaving them on for extended periods or when we're not at home.

I'm guessing I just had a bad/old CFL, hence the issue with the melting. We're planning on leaving town for a week and a half and I'd like to leave a downstairs lamp on for security reasons, but I'm worried about the bulb (probably unjustly, but I'm a worrywart when it comes to stuff like that). Are my fears unfounded?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

Personally, I've had many CFL lamps die in a "blaze of glory". More than I care to count. Fortunately, most of mine were in enclosed fixtures. Professionally, I've seen them take out fixtures when they "melt down".
The good news is this usually happens when first turning the light on.
If you are concerned, get a regular bulb for that lamp and swap it out when you get back home.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
It's a good excuse to pick up an LED bulb for the lamp in question. I'd spend the money for peace of mind since you have a concern about CFL bulbs while you're away. I've had a few melt over the years.

I have a bunch of CFL bulbs still but all of the mostly-used stuff is LED, except for one CFL light outside that's on overnight every night out on the lanai.

Both of the lamps in our living room as well as the set in the family room which are on overnight every night are all LED.

Got plenty of others but they are all in less-used fixtures. I'll gradually switch everything over to LED as I grab a bulb or two whenever I see a particularly good deal here or there.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

Personally, I've had many CFL lamps die in a "blaze of glory". More than I care to count. Fortunately, most of mine were in enclosed fixtures. Professionally, I've seen them take out fixtures when they "melt down".

And you're surprised? Most are not designed for such usage, IIRC.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
I have never had a CFL to fail yet and I've used them for years. The one in my computer room more or less stays on 16 hr/day. Bought some at Home Depot and some at Walmart.
I can buy a lot of CFL bulbs for the price of one LED even if they start failing.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
Both CFL and LED bulbs use electronic ballasts which are subject to failure. However they are designed to at most release the magic smoke and not catch on fire.
LED failures are less common because the number of units in use is extremely small compared to CFL - but they can fail in the same spectacular way.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to nunya

MVM

to nunya
said by nunya:

The good news is this usually happens when first turning the light on.

A had a few of the mini-twist variety of CFL bulbs fail in the same manner (scorch marks and partially melted plastic) but as nunya See Profile says this is usually soon after turning them on. Interestingly the older CFL bulbs are more reliable (much longer lasting and if they do die, they do so without fireworks).

I'd do the following things in your situation:
- turn the bulb on at least one day before you leave so that you can observe it for a while
- use a light fixture that will not catch on fire if the bulb overheats (e.g.: avoid cotton or paper lamp shades)
- keep combustible materials away from the lamp and the immediate area around it
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to Hazy Arc

Premium Member

to Hazy Arc
I've had a bunch fail, but none of them spectacularly. I have no issue leaving them on for extended periods of time, and I regularly do leave them on overnight or longer.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 recommendation

hortnut to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
I have one outside in an open yet enclosed porch by 3 sides and in a housing recessed into the 'ceiling' that has a plasic 'lens'. Get my CFL's from Costco and this one is on 24 hours and has been burning for 4 years. 13 watt equal to a 60 watt?

Have 2 patios and both have 100 watt equivalents that I turn on at night and off in the morning, both of those are about 2 years old.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
I have seen a crapload of CFLs fail. I haven't had one last more than a year here at home so I gave up on them. Just started to test some LED bulbs.

We use the commercial style OSRAM bulbs at work. They are made is a certain third world country now and the glass is crap. When the bulbs fail about 20% separate the glass from the base. If the internals break too it drops the glass out of the fixture. Spend a few grand buying the lense and wire covers for the fixtures to protect everyone.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

BiggA

Premium Member

I've seen a pattern where they either die in a year, or they last basically forever (although some of the ones that I installed in the mid-2000's are coming up on forever for a light bulb now). But it depends brand to brand, and I can't keep track of which are which. Bulbs I buy in the future will likely be LED.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
Is the electronics that go in them which is a real shame. That being said, I have no issues leaving them on. they're better suited for long run time applications than they are for quick on/off. once the electronics are running and up to temp, things tend to keep working.