spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slowexcoupe
join:2015-03-31
Greenville, NC

slowexcoupe

Signal Power Level too high?

Take a look at my signal levels on my SB6121 modem. From what I've seen, the downstream power level should be between 15dBmV and -15dBmV. As you can see, I'm outside that range. It's always been 12 to 14 since I've lived in this house, but never this high. Should I be worried about a signal this strong? My first motorola modem only lasted 3 years, always wondered if that had something to do with it.

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk

Premium Member

I think you can put a splitter in the line and use it or put a terminator on the second port. Just check your up stream level after you try it. Be sure to let us know if that works. I am at the end of the line and run around 8db.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

said by plk:

I think you can put a splitter in the line and use it or put a terminator on the second port.

that is what the tech did for ours when our levels were that hot. he took 2 3way splitters back to back to pad it down. what he did was hook the cable feed to the input of the first splitter, terminated 2 of the ports and hooked from the 3rd port to the input of the next splitter. then again terminated a port and hooked the 2 ports to our cable modem and our multi line phone box. Pay attention to the ports of the splitters, you wan tot use the ports with MORE(around 7.5db) loss to feed the 2nd splitter. Then on the 2nd splitter use the 3.5db loss port to feed the modem. This should bring your levels about 11db which will put them right in the proper range.
slowexcoupe
Greenville, NC

slowexcoupe

OK, I'll give that a try. I think I still have a splitter or 2 from when I had their cable tv service as well.

Goodluckdude
@plateautel.net

Goodluckdude

Anon

Holy crap dude. They got a lot of subscribers attached to your line unless your neighbors are 1/4 miles away. Expect your Internet to eventually degrade over subscribing your line.
slowexcoupe
Greenville, NC

slowexcoupe

said by Goodluckdude :

Holy crap dude. They got a lot of subscribers attached to your line unless your neighbors are 1/4 miles away. Expect your Internet to eventually degrade over subscribing your line.

What is it that indicates that? I do live in a subdivision with at least 100 homes, all really close to each other.
slowexcoupe

slowexcoupe

Found the leftover splitter and installed it at lunch. It said "-5.5dBmV" on it and it cut the signal down almost exactly that much. My upstream power level has now gone up that exact same amount. Both are within range now, so I guess that's an improvement. Here is a screenshot of my new levels.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to slowexcoupe

to slowexcoupe
What you need to do is decrease the incoming power WITHOUT increasing the uplink power. The only way to do this without adjusting the output power of the amp at the pole/street is to find a ONE WAY Attenuator. They are hard to find.
slowexcoupe
Greenville, NC

slowexcoupe

i'm assuming the amp at the street is not going to be inside a small pedestal like the one shown here?

It's unlikely that I can get Suddenlink to do anything about it, they have told me in the past that my signal levels are fine.

Between the two above scenarios (no splitter vs. splitter) which one is preferable?

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to slowexcoupe

MVM

to slowexcoupe
Click for full size
here is a screenshot from mine as of just now. the second pic is last summer before they upped our speeds here.
dd31879
join:2013-02-27
Boyce, LA

dd31879 to slowexcoupe

to slowexcoupe
said by slowexcoupe:

t's unlikely that I can get Suddenlink to do anything about it, they have told me in the past that my signal levels are fine.

your signals with the splitter are actually in spec. down between [-15/+15] and up between [+35/+50]. its on the really extreme end of things for sure but as long as you arent experiencing any service interruption or other problems then you shouldnt worry.

ChristyR
@google.com

ChristyR

Anon

is 37db or 38db normal?

thanks!

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member