uniqs

creativedog
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

Terrible/inconsistent speeds after router move - G1100 & WCB3000N

I have the updated G1100 router and am on 50mb up/down. I have 3 floors in my house and just updated a home theater where they installed the G1100 router in the media cabinet so it could be hard wired into things like my Amazon Fire TV, etc....Based on the recommendation of the company that did the installs, I picked up the ActionTec WCB3000N for added reach to my 3rd floor. Talked to their tech support and they said I should set up both SSID's (2.4 and 5) on their device to match the one on my G1100 router..I have done this and am seeing worse performance than before (10-15mb down and 2-4 up)...What else should I be looking at here? Is auto-frequency selection really there or not?

The WCB is sitting on the 2nd floor and my office is on the 3rd floor...I want to keep my G1100 router in the media cabinet as it's now out of the way and provides some hard wired connectivity for some streaming services. That said, I am just not sure which direction to take with all of the settings....FiOS support has given me three different answers and changed some settings on their router and ActionTec basically said leave it alone except for channel width (40mhz upper).

Today, I changed the matching SSID's so that I have one as it was prior and one with _5ghz after it...I realize it has better throughput but less reach.

What should I do at this point to maximize my connectivity in my home?
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

Hi,
I don't know how you had your G1100's wifi configured but normally I would have a different ssid on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, i.e., ad "5" to the 5GHz if it is not already there. If you have a decent MoCA signal and your wiring is ok, the configuration on the WCB3000N should be done automatically withing a minute or 2 of being connected to the coax. No further configuration is needed normally, unless there is an issue with the coax and a poor MoCA connection. If your WCB3000N did not do the automatic configuration, I would be suspicious of your coax and double check all your fittings, splitters, etc. If all else fails, try doing a reset on the WCB3000N and try to connect it closer to your main router temporarily.

creativedog
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Richmond, VA

creativedog

Premium Member

said by fcfc2:

Hi,
I don't know how you had your G1100's wifi configured but normally I would have a different ssid on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, i.e., ad "5" to the 5GHz if it is not already there. If you have a decent MoCA signal and your wiring is ok, the configuration on the WCB3000N should be done automatically withing a minute or 2 of being connected to the coax. No further configuration is needed normally, unless there is an issue with the coax and a poor MoCA connection. If your WCB3000N did not do the automatic configuration, I would be suspicious of your coax and double check all your fittings, splitters, etc. If all else fails, try doing a reset on the WCB3000N and try to connect it closer to your main router temporarily.

Thanks. I am tempted to reset my G1100 and start over. It did the automatic configuration but I had everything set to the same SSID. If I reset the G1100 and then use (as an example) DW 2.4 and DW 5 on my G1100 and then rerun the setup (after reseting) on the WCB it should bring those SSID's right over. Once done, how do you determine which SSID's to connect to? They will most likely both be visible around my entire house. Thanks again.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

1 edit

fcfc2

Hi again,
If you don't have too much stuff configured, just start from scratch, do a factory reset on both, wait until the G1100 settles down, check the naming on the SSID's and add "5" to the 5GHz band if not already there. Important, change the channel from "auto" to a fixed channel, (you can use the defaults) and save. Connect your WCB3000N and let it do its thing and allow it to configure itself. You should find you have pretty good coverage with both bands and because you have the 2 bands named differently, just select whichever band you want to connect to by device. Generally, I would recommend that you try to use the 5GHz band whenever possible as it has higher potential throughput and less interference.
As you roam around your home, you should connect to whichever router or AP is closer. The SSID's on both devices should be the same for each band.