spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fitmiss
join:2015-03-31
usa

fitmiss

Do I need my Own Router with Quantum?

I just purchased an expensive Asus router not thinking that I would be switching to Fios. Now I'm being forced to use the Quantum router. Is there any good reason to keep the Asus router? I hate to waste 200.00.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

Hi,
If the Verizon router is getting the job done for you then the answer is no. If it is not getting the job done then you should look at this guide to help you figure out which configuration you might want to try.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
fitmiss
join:2015-03-31
usa

fitmiss

The question really is, what reasons would I want to have my own router??

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Lots of reasons people run their own routers.
Here are the most common ones I can think of:
- Wireless performance of VZ routers is less than stellar
- Paranoid about VZ being able to access the FIOS router
- Want/need a router with more features than the VZ router.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by More Fiber:

Lots of reasons people run their own routers.
Here are the most common ones I can think of:
- Wireless performance of VZ routers is less than stellar
- Paranoid about VZ being able to access the FIOS router
- Want/need a router with more features than the VZ router.
- Save the monthly router rental fee

Left out the best one.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b to fitmiss

to fitmiss
Note that if you have FiOS TV service, a Verizon router is pretty much required. You can add a non-Verizon router, but a Verizon router will need to be in the network somewhere in order for the set-top boxes to work.

If you don't have TV, then you can use any router you want. If your ONT is currently provisioned for MoCA WAN, you can contact Verizon and have it switched to Ethernet. That way, you can easily plug in any router you want.

I've found the Actiontec and Quantum routers to be decent, general purpose devices. WiFi range is okay, but not "stellar" as another poster put it. They have reasonable features and user controls. I bought a Quantum router when it was on sale for $99 and feel I got my money's worth. At the current price of $199, there are lots of other routers on the market that provide more features and better range.

It really boils down to what features you want and how much control you want. Verizon routers give you a decent level of control, but if you are the type who likes lots of knobs and switches, another router may be better for you.

One more thought; know that if you don't have a Verizon router installed, Verizon will provide zero support. For that reason, many people who use a non-Verzion router will keep a Verizon router on hand in case they need Verizon support.

Good Luck.