uniqs
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Bell sent surveyors down my street today

Early this morning I found a couple of surveyors going into backyards on my street in Forest Hill. I figured that they might be working for some people who will be rebuilding homes in the area, but when I questioned them, they said that they were doing locates for Bell poles running down the property lines.

Is this something Bell does pre-FTTH?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Generally locates aren't needed for pole fed FTTH...could be something as simple as a pole line that needs replacing

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
It's a possibility that it's for FTTH since all of the cables are pre-made and than just lashed up to the poles they use GPS data to mark out all of the distances for the cables and the taps.

Are the poles joint use, hydro and other lines, or just Bell poles? If they're just Bell poles it's possible they're just doing a survey to mark out new pole locations as btech said.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
locates happen every time someone digs in the area, they simply mark where it is and the depth to avoid cable cuts.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by jmck:

locates happen every time someone digs in the area, they simply mark where it is and the depth to avoid cable cuts.

Right, but poles are above ground and do not need to be located for digging. If the poles were being located as the OP said, then they're actually locating poles, not underground cables.

If they're locating the poles, then there is a good chance it is for the pre-engineering work for FTTH.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Surveys like this over the last two summers were almost always a precursor to FTTH in Fort Erie, so keep your fingers crossed.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

It's a possibility that it's for FTTH since all of the cables are pre-made and than just lashed up to the poles they use GPS data to mark out all of the distances for the cables and the taps.

Are the poles joint use, hydro and other lines, or just Bell poles? If they're just Bell poles it's possible they're just doing a survey to mark out new pole locations as btech said.

Nope.
Rogers is on these poles as well.

Do you really think that residents in Forest Hill would have more eyesore poles than absolutely necessary? We're thinking of having a landscape designer redecorate the poles at Bell's expense. LOL
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
said by jmck:

There's nothing buried along the easement. We had locates done when we did some things a few years ago. Nothing along the rear property line except the overhead wires.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

Surveys like this over the last two summers were almost always a precursor to FTTH in Fort Erie, so keep your fingers crossed.

Yep. And if the CRTC has not granted indie access to FTTH by then, I'm going to launch the biggest shitstorm ever - I don't want Bell to be my ISP.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Yep. And if the CRTC has not granted indie access to FTTH by then, I'm going to launch the biggest shitstorm ever - I don't want Bell to be my ISP.

Considering the relationship that Bell and the CRTC have right now, this is probably as best a chance as ever for FTTH to be opened up to wholesale access. The install fees will probably be painful, though.
btech805
Canada

btech805 to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Gone:

Well then you'll always have TPIA cable as your option. Bell will fight tooth and nail to protect their FTTH network and won't settle for any less than a few years of exclusivity after a buildout.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by btech805:

Well then you'll always have TPIA cable as your option. Bell will fight tooth and nail to protect their FTTH network and won't settle for any less than a few years of exclusivity after a buildout.

I'd buy that argument if they were building this network exclusively for Internet. Being that the primary motivation behind it is actually television (read their yearly reports, it's *all* about TV), and that television is already exclusive and binds you to Bell Internet anyway, they really aren't in a position to demand anything of the sort.

The better strategy would be full cost recovery on new FTTH customer installs, which will make FTTN installs look like pocket change. But even I'm not entirely sure they could make that claim since they would eventually need to do this themselves to retire copper anyway.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

They've done three in my neck of the woods, but nothing is coming in here. The lines running through the backyards are in such poor shape that nearly everyone has had bell out in the last year to have new runs put in, the entire run is from roughly 60-70 years ago(average age of a house is ~90, with some being 150 years old). Don't get me started on the poles that are on the verge of falling over and taking everything out either. Bell has no interest in it unless it's in their interest.

This entire area has been gentrified as the old folks have moved on now that their kids are grown up, and new families move in. But no one has bell for internet, especially when all you can get is 5/1 DSL with a 40GB cap. Rogers on the other hand came through back 10-15 years ago and got off the poles out back, and ran everything street side. What's funny is this entire area is within a very short distance of 1 highschool, two middle schools with a gradeschool in one, but speedy internet? Ahaha. Even the schools had their own private fibrelinks installed.
btech805
Canada

btech805

I think you'll find that every school across the province has their own fiber links...as does most corporations and large cap business in this country.

Mashiki
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

said by btech805:

I think you'll find that every school across the province has their own fiber links...as does most corporations and large cap business in this country.

Considering the cost for the schools was 2m+ per install the original option was to be provided by bell or rogers. They have it now, 5 years ago it wasn't here. Woodstock is kind of like the city that time forgot, not as bad as brantford but for the fastest growing city in ontario, it's pretty poor.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki
The reason they were out was probably for fibre, and theyve probably done all the plant design and internal engineering for it, but won't actually do anything until they figure out what the government is doing with SWIFT.

Most assumptions about fibre "never" coming are greatly exaggerated.

And since when is Woodstock the fastest growing city in Ontario? Milton has had a lock on that for years.

Mashiki
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

If they've actually done all the design then that's great, but considering woodstock was supposed to be getting remotes 10 years ago for everywhere else outside of the downtown so people could get something other than 5/1 service, I'm sure those are also coming sometime soon.

As for fastest growing? Since we went from a population of ~20k to nearly 40k(39,900 is the last official count) in 10ish years.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by JC_:

Nope.

Do you really think that residents in Forest Hill would have more eyesore poles than absolutely necessary? We're thinking of having a landscape designer redecorate the poles at Bell's expense. LOL

Than they're definitely not being replaced as it would be Hydro crews out for them as they own the poles.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Mashiki

Premium Member

to Mashiki
said by Mashiki:

As for fastest growing? Since we went from a population of 20k to nearly 40k in 10 years.

Amalgamation with neighboring townships will do that. According to Statscan, the actual growth from 2006 to 2011 was 5.4%. Respectable for Southwestern Ontario, but that's not double.

»www12.statcan.gc.ca/cens ··· &TABID=1

Milton during that same period, with the same boundaries it had previously, was over 56%.

»www12.statcan.gc.ca/cens ··· &TABID=1
Gone

Gone to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

Than they're definitely not being replaced as it would be Hydro crews out for them as they own the poles.

CNP contracts pole replacement here, and they've replaced a whole shitload of them since the fibre build started.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805:

Bell will fight tooth and nail to protect their FTTH network and won't settle for any less than a few years of exclusivity after a buildout.

They could get that with the standard procedural shuffle with the CRTC. I suspect they'll get more.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by JC_:

Nope.

They aren't 'hydro' poles here. All the poles in my area at the BACK property line have Bell tags on them. The only wires on them are Bell & Rogers.
Hydro in my neck of Toronto is run out at streetside.
Maybe it's different in H'ottawa.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

They aren't 'hydro' poles here. All the poles in my area at the BACK property line have Bell tags on them. The only wires on them are Bell & Rogers.
Hydro in my neck of Toronto is run out at streetside.
Maybe it's different in H'ottawa.

Depending on the age of the poles they might get replaced, but it's likely a pre-engineering for Bell FTTH.

Everywhere does it differently, there are neighbourhoods in Ottawa that are exactly the same setup, hydro in front and telco/cable out back or the other way around, telco/cable in front and hydro out back.

FTTHTechie
@trans-pro.com

FTTHTechie to Gone

Anon

to Gone
said by Gone:

The reason they were out was probably for fibre, and theyve probably done all the plant design and internal engineering for it, but won't actually do anything until they figure out what the government is doing with SWIFT.

Most assumptions about fibre "never" coming are greatly exaggerated.

And since when is Woodstock the fastest growing city in Ontario? Milton has had a lock on that for years.

Assumptions? How about an entire area such as Oak Ridges in Richmond Hill still having ADSL2+ nothing more than 5/1 copper fed dsl to the co and no uodates or even news on FTTN or FTTH deployment while other areas in Richmond Hill have either 7330s (and some Stingers) or even FTTH. That's a big issue and a problem when an entire area is left in the dark like this on old infrastructure even though the areas are newerish and older with aerial infrastructure present in the older areas. That's quite a sizeable population with only OPI's and the only alternative being Cable Internet for faster access.

All I heard on this forum was just rumors about engineering issues. The question becomes what engineering issues if the fiber runs to the co and could be spliced off.

Also I doubt FTTH surveying and deployment is occurring right now. I haven't seen any in various areas in Markham or Richmond Hill other than remote maintenance.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

Depending on the age of the poles they might get replaced, but it's likely a pre-engineering for Bell FTTH.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I let it be only Bell FTTH.
markie58
join:2009-04-24
Chateauguay, QC

markie58 to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Where I live the poles at the rear property line are owned by Hydro Quebec shared by Bell and Videotron.
Two years ago Bell ran new fibre lines and never did I see a surveyor I am retired and at home the majority of the time. Bell did send ahead their outsourced sub- contractor to trim trees first time I ever saw that by Bell Hydro Quebec does it every 10-12 years.
Several weeks ago I noticed surveyors taking measurements street side over several days, I wondered why but did not go out to question them.
Today my doorbell rings and a gentleman in a hard hat asks me if they can go in my yard to pull new fibre optic cable for Videotron from pole to pole.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by JC_:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I let it be only Bell FTTH.

They won't be removing the existing copper and you will be able to keep whatever services that you currently have.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

I didn't say that.

If fibre is going through my backyard, then I'm going to be able to use the provider of MY choice on that fibre - that's what I'm saying, and that's what I will push for with my MP, the CRTC, the next government, and anyone who will take a political donation from me - or a round of golf.

Shaman
join:2014-12-16
Kingston, ON

Shaman

Don't tell us. Tell the CRTC. It's very easy to write them a letter, and CC it to Industry Canada.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to FTTHTechie

Premium Member

to FTTHTechie
said by FTTHTechie :

Also I doubt FTTH surveying and deployment is occurring right now. I haven't seen any in various areas in Markham or Richmond Hill other than remote maintenance.

Seen at least two survey crews out in Fort Erie this week, so it's happening. Maybe not where you are but it definitely is happening.