Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

[Help] Squirrels eating wires and wire harnesses

I am looking for suggestions on how to keep squirrels from eating the wires under the hood of my car.

I am aware of the "Honda Tape" that is out there. But also have heard the adhesive in this tape is really bad and doesn't last long and you end up re applying/taping all wires up over and over.

And I'm familiar with the moth ball trick that appears most the time doesn't stop them at all.
I have read of people making wire cages/barriers anywhere a squirrel can get in from outside. I don't think I want to go this route, but who knows.

So I am curious if there is a spray or something out there that really works.

My neighbor suggested Shot Gun Repels-All Animal Repellent made by Bonide. He told me to just spray it everywhere under the hood.
Sounds good, but my concern is will this after prolong use ruin anything it touches. Or leave a bunch of scum everywhere.
Out of all the ingredients listed on the bottle, the only one that looks like it may be a concern (I guess) is Acetic Acid.

So any suggestions would be great. This is a costly problem. I paid just under 700.00 for my repairs, and 2 days without a car till the dealer got the replacement parts.

Thanks

Stonehawk
Service with a smile
Premium Member
join:2001-05-17
Madison, WI

Stonehawk

Premium Member

I remember I used to shoot little varmints like that, skin them, and hang their bloody bodies in areas I knew they frequented. I had a far smaller problem after a couple of episodes of that. Seems even squirrels and rabbits have some self-preservation baked into their tiny brains

Not sure how feasible that is for you nowadays

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

south1178 to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
We use Cayenne pepper in water mix. Just remember it's on there if you ever touch them then touch your face.
hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

1 recommendation

hosedagain3

I leave the hood of my cars up when in the garage as mice, squirrels will not bunker down in a open area. . Would not work if the car is outside over night.

Jim Gurd
Premium Member
join:2000-07-08
Livonia, MI

Jim Gurd to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
I know this isn't an answer to your question, but I would be willing to bet your wires are covered with soy based insulation. The animals love the taste of it over traditional non-organic materials.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
Store a few moth balls in the engine compartment. Worked great for me after $2400 in repairs for a new wiring harness.

spingitup
@optonline.net

1 recommendation

spingitup

Anon

For mice we recommend Irish spring soap in with the pool covers. I've yet to see a cover come out with mouse damage that had bars of soap in it. I put some cut up bars in my truck hood, fenders, etc (thing was a mouse condo when I go it) I did have I believe dead mouse fall out from some bags I had in the back bed this winter... but I see *nothing* under the hood. If they are hiding in the bed yet no signs of them under the hood I'd say it works... ymmv. Also very cheap...
hosedagain3
join:2008-02-18
Canada

1 recommendation

hosedagain3

had a real old fellow tell me he has used ammonia around his vehicles for years and never had a mouse problem.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka to Robotics

MVM

to Robotics
Eliminate the problem. Go after the rodents.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

1 recommendation

TheMG to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
said by Robotics:

Acetic Acid.

Same stuff that's in vinegar.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics to south1178

Premium Member

to south1178
I like this idea. The spray I have now has cayenne pepper in it. So I may just stick with this idea. Since you mentioned you do this yourself, could you tell me if there is any build up/scum after doing this for months...if not years? Like make it really nasty under the hood? Thanks
Robotics

Robotics to Jim Gurd

Premium Member

to Jim Gurd
Yes, they are. Its part of the "being green" for the environment. Dumb idea using soy if you ask me. And to top it off the dealer couldn't tell me if the new wires and harnesses they installed had the soy in them. So I don't have a clue if I will continue to have this problem or not.
Robotics

Robotics to VegasMan

Premium Member

to VegasMan
Thanks for the suggestion. I thought and looked into this, but according to the internet postings, appears most claimed this didn't work for them. So I'm still on the fence with this. Glad to hear its working for you
Robotics

Robotics to hosedagain3

Premium Member

to hosedagain3
Interesting. May be one of the things I do. I am pretty sure it isn't mice, but not positive. I have seen squirrels climb up on my front tires, then disappear under the hood. So this is why I think it is squirrels. And we do have a few stray cats usually around the neighborhood, and they claim mice stay away when cats are around, but who knows. But I do like this idea and will probably give it a shot along with a few others...thanks
Robotics

Robotics to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
Thank you for that info. Guess it should be pretty safe on wires and plastic, etc.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
said by Robotics:

I like this idea. The spray I have now has cayenne pepper in it. So I may just stick with this idea. Since you mentioned you do this yourself, could you tell me if there is any build up/scum after doing this for months...if not years? Like make it really nasty under the hood? Thanks

It's just water and pepper. No more build up than the road crap that gets all over the engine bay.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Robotics

to Robotics
Is this chopped cayenne pepper like seasoning, or something else?

I bought the Havaheart trap since the squirrels in my garage ate my camera wiring, and I'd figure my vehicles are next. After the squirrel stole the bait two times and set the trap off once without getting caught in it, I was told that it was too small since their tale might not fit and they can just get out. When the weather warmed up a couple days ago, I figured I'd go to the garage again and return the trap and get a bigger one. Trap felt heavier than I remembered, and I found a dead squirrel in the (unbaited) trap. He got greedy thinking there'd be more and paid the ultimate price. The trap isn't meant to kill them, but I went probably four days without checking it since I wrote it off as being ineffective.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics to south1178

Premium Member

to south1178
Sounds good to me...thanks

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Robotics

MVM

to Robotics
You seriously need to go after the rodents.
This is potentially a fire/life safety issue.

It is quite common to see vehicles have multiple repairs due to rodent damage.
By the second or third occurrence, the customer usually gives in and calls a pest control company.

Whatever you replaced this time isn't necessarily what they will go after next time.

How about the fuel hoses/tubes or brake hoses?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
The stuff I bought looks like it has very small flakes of something in it which I assume is the cayenne pepper. I brought this up at work yesterday and ends up someone else has the same problem here. He said he does exactly what south1178 mentioned. He got some of the cayenne pepper, chops it up a little finer than the way it came, adds a little water, then uses a baster (not sure of spelling) and paints it directly on the wires and wire harnesses.
So yes its the regualr seasoning being used here.

south1178
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
Yes the seasoning. Sorry, didn't see this until now.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
Yeah I know. It's a scary situation to say the least.
Where I live there are squirrels everywhere. I'm in a very wooded area. These things do a lot of damage, and blow electric transformers several times a year in the area amongst other things.
I was told the squirrels only make nest usually in the fall, and then going into spring. They make these nest only to mate. Once that's done supposedly they do not return. When they making these mating nest, they want them secluded so they go for cars or anything secluded.
After mating the use the nest they make in trees and such, instead of going back to the mating nest to make it a home.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to Robotics

Premium Member

to Robotics
I picked up a mouse repellant in the hardware store yesterday. The label listed spearmint and peppermint oils. Couldn't tell you how it works on squirrels or mice.

I have recurring problems with mice in lawn mower engines. I've tried almost every myth and suggestion out there to keep them out, with varying success. Screening is not possible without a NASA blueprint and T. Edison for the install. I asked two long time highly competent small engine mechanics if mouse nests might be the number one cause of small engine failures. Without hesitation, they both replied at the same time, "Yes." Bad news in stereo. Why aren't we told this when purchasing a lawn mower. Well, you can probably come to an answer on that one, and it also may well be somewhere in the owner's manual to "keep engine free of debris etc."

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

I cant believe they use soy in the wire insulation because its safer for the environment. I mean, it's pretty much food for the critters, and they are going to go after it. The car makers have to know about this since it is pretty much old news as to why more and more people are having this problem under the hoods of their cars.
But it appears they don't care (no surprise here), and keep making them with soy, and some with even corn material.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

TheHarvester

Premium Member

said by Robotics:

I cant believe they use soy in the wire insulation because its safer for the environment. I mean, it's pretty much food for the critters, and they are going to go after it.

It's not the soy! Critters have been chewing on vehicle wires long before they were using soy and they chew on everything they can. I've replaced wires, radiator hoses, heater hoses, accessory belts sound insulation and fuel lines due to rats chewing on them. They don't chew them because it tastes good, they chew on them to keep their teeth from growing too long.