spc
Search similar:

uniqs
surreal0
join:2010-03-31
Kanata, ON

surreal0

[DSL] VDSL service for new build

Just wondering if anyone knows how long it can potentially take for VDSL services to be available in a new development area? I moved into a newly built house this month and wanted to set up VDSL service but the service availability page says there's no service available. When I look on the Bell site it says I can get FIBE service (which I'm not interested in because the monthly cost is a lot more than I'm willing to pay currently).

People that live 2 blocks away from me (houses probably built 2-3 years ago) have VDSL service available to order. Is it simply because the database is not up to date, or are the telco's trying to force everyone onto their service.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Is the new development wired with fiber?
surreal0
Kanata, ON

surreal0

Yes but I was also told that there was copper run as well (but who's known a builder to have the correct information amirite)?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

if it's a new build with FTTH, the copper will likely only be used for legacy phone service and not FTTN. of course if this is all coming from the builder he might be 'confused' about fibre to begin with...
surreal0
Kanata, ON

surreal0

Well the Bell info I got was from the Bell rep who was trying to get me to get the whole Internet, TV, phone package for like $200 a month. I was quite content with spending $50-$60 a month for a 400gb package with decent uploads for work. My only current options are sadly with the other two and they are more than what I actually need.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

If it's greenfield (new building in a new development) it's probably pure FTTH with no legacy copper and therefore TekSavvy is basically a no-go right now.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to surreal0

to surreal0
Open up a thread in Teksavvy Direct forum and ask Teksavvy to do a more thorough check of services available in the area.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to surreal0

Premium Member

to surreal0
said by surreal0:

When I look on the Bell site it says I can get FIBE service (which I'm not interested in because the monthly cost is a lot more than I'm willing to pay currently).

Does the Bell website say you qualify for Fibe 175? If you do than it's Bell FTTH only and there will be not VDSL build out.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to surreal0

to surreal0
Ya, if a greenfield survey is fiber, this will be NO copper infrastructure, and thus no vdsl.

Why not take a Fibe 50 package for a year? If it's Greenfield, your going to have some sort of greenfield offer????? Most greenfield surveys are either 6 months free or 1 year free??

I'd take that in a heart beat.

edit: just to clarify, Im saying only take internet. Dont take all 3 services if you dont want to.

edit 2: and then when thats done, take your Cable Co greenfield offer and get another 6 months or year free from them.

By that time there may be 3rd party on FTTH?!?!
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by urbang33k:

By that time there may be 3rd party on FTTH?!?!

The lack of good news about proceedings for mandated access to FTTH and most other wholesale-related stuff tells me it is not going to happen any time soon.

My hunch is we are looking at something like 2019.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to surreal0

to surreal0
VDSL won't be available to you in a new build, but with FTTH why not just sign up for a cheaper internet plan if cost is your concer? You can still get 5 or 15 with FTTH, you wont get 400 gb however like you would with Teksavvy. Unlimited is available for $10-30 depending on how many services you subscribe to from Bell.
surreal0
Kanata, ON

surreal0

Well I don't need TV or home phone so my unlimited option would cost $30 more. 15 FTTH with unlimited would be $91.95/month so about $104 a month. Fibe 5 is FTTN (at least what it's showing on the Bell site). 5down/.68up, is this VDSL or some really crippled FTTH service? That would only be $12 less a month. Sadly that those kind of prices Rogers is more attractive of the two.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

5/1 fibe isn't really fibe, it's standard ADSL. It would be hooked up to FTTN remote if you were too far from remote.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to surreal0

Premium Member

to surreal0
said by surreal0:

Fibe 5 is FTTN (at least what it's showing on the Bell site). 5down/.68up, is this VDSL or some really crippled FTTH service?

If you're in a greenfield area than 5/1 would be served over FTTH only.

A greenfield area is a new FTTH network where there was no copper network prior, which is pretty much all new developments since 2010.
urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to surreal0

to surreal0
said by surreal0:

Well I don't need TV or home phone so my unlimited option would cost $30 more. 15 FTTH with unlimited would be $91.95/month so about $104 a month. Fibe 5 is FTTN (at least what it's showing on the Bell site). 5down/.68up, is this VDSL or some really crippled FTTH service? That would only be $12 less a month. Sadly that those kind of prices Rogers is more attractive of the two.

Look into if you qualify for a greenfield offer from the providers. Call up Bell and say, its a new home, in a new survey and your the first people in the home. ask them if theres a 6 months free/12 months free promo.

My mother has had 2 new homes in the last 8 years and both times she went with free offer from Cable Co first, then cancelled when the free promo was up. Went to Bell and got the competing free promo offer for another year. She did this at both new homes in different cities!

edit: So potentially, you could get an internet package for free, and only have to pay for the $30 unlimited add-on.
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

coolspot18 to surreal0

to surreal0
I'm still waiting - neighbourhood is 11 - 15 years old. Middle of Richmond Hill.

FTTHTechie
@start.ca

FTTHTechie

Anon

said by coolspot18:

I'm still waiting - neighbourhood is 11 - 15 years old. Middle of Richmond Hill.

Same here. But what part of Richmond Hill exactly? as the entire Oak Ridges area cannot get anything more than 5/6 - 1 over legacy dsl copper to co. I also doubt that Oak Ridges will receive FTTN if there was engineering issues and nothing has been heard about this or any kind of updates/news.

Richmond Hill has quite a substantial 7330 deployment but Markham is more Stinger based.