Jehu
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
MA

Jehu

Premium Member

Sticker residue on sun visor

Click for full size
Seemed like a good idea to peel off the warning sticker..

Any tips on removing the residue without (further) messing up the upholstery?

Thanks

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

2 recommendations

Steve

Waiting for: Where can I get a replacement sticker to cover up the residue that I couldn't remove?

Jehu
Premium Member
MA

Jehu

Premium Member

Hah, or use a black magic marker

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to Jehu

Premium Member

to Jehu
Those stickers are applied using a heat press which bonds the glue to the fabric. There is no chance of removing that residue without replacing the fabric or the whole visor.

Hiker
Zeus
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Pipersville

1 recommendation

Hiker to Jehu

Premium Member

to Jehu
Just write Oops on it... Live and learn... I've been tempted to do the same but, not anymore...

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to Jehu

to Jehu
You might want to try taking the visor off, place on a flat surface, cover with a paper towel and using a medium hot clothes iron over the paper towel. If you melt the adhesive it will be absorbed by the paper towel. It may not make it 100% but may improve it.

Jehu
Premium Member
MA

Jehu

Premium Member

Ok! Thanks for the bad news!
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned) to Jehu

to Jehu
Steam extractor, soft brush, APC, skill.

Combine the listed ingredients above and it will be that sticker was never applied in the factory
taytong888
join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON

taytong888 to Jehu

to Jehu
Try nail polisher which has acetone. This works for me.

Jackorama
I Am Woman
Premium Member
join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

Jackorama to Jehu

Premium Member

to Jehu
Try Goo Gone. »googone.com/Home.aspx

I have this stuff and it works great. You don't have to use a lot. I have had mine for years.

Goo Gone Won't Remove: Parking Tickets, Flat Tires, Bad Music and Inlaws. But it will remove mostly everything else that sticky, gummy, gluey and waxy.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to Jehu

MVM

to Jehu
A sand blaster would work on that.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 recommendation

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Acetone through a 26,000 psi pressure washer?

Sorry for cracking wise, but since fabric is involved, we're talking pain. I'm leaning toward it is permanent.

testfirst
@comcast.net

testfirst to Jehu

Anon

to Jehu
please, yes, you can try anything solvent.
but whatever you try, test it first, on an inconspicuous part of the upholstery, maybe even on some part of the ceiling cloth that is under a plastic.

assorted possibilities:

heat
cold (gum removal freeze sprays)
in order of danger:
hot water, steam
rubbing alcohol
liquid wrench
wd40
acetone
paint thinner
benzene
gasoline

again, try first the solvent somewhere hidden to see if the solvent stains or melts the cloth or makes stains from whatever is under the cloth.

see if you can peel off a little of the glue alone, then put that bit in a glass, to try the solvents first on the glue itself.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

1 edit

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Gasoline?

Another thought - take the visor to an auto upholsterer, and have it fit some headliner material.

Perhaps the two visors are symmetrical, and you could exchange then reverse the two so that the offending blotch is skyward when folded up, and a bumper sticker or visor gee gaw (CD holder?) of your choice could cover the old adhesive when visor is down. It's a long shot, but theoretically it may work.
mob (banned)
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07
San Jose, CA

mob (banned)

said by Grumpy4:

Gasoline?

WD-40 on fabric?

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

1 edit

1 recommendation

Grumpy4

Premium Member

20 amp angle grinder?

Maybe... if you buy a replacement visor, I wonder if the pesky decal is involved? We're probably talking $200 for a new one though, not to mention the dealer may not be able to determine if the decal is on the new one from their order screen vs. a non returnable item.

Consider too a vehicle specific internet forum. You certainly aren't the Lone Ranger when it comes to wanting these offensive don't run with the scissors society we live in monstrosities f-ing up an other wise pleasant vehicle interior. I've had my hand halfway to the decals in my wife's car more than a few times, but somehow have managed to hold off. Laziness is probably my excuse for not going there. By now I don't even see the damned thing.

Jehu
Premium Member
MA

Jehu to mob

Premium Member

to mob
said by mob:

Steam extractor, soft brush, APC, skill.

Combine the listed ingredients above and it will be that sticker was never applied in the factory

Are you referring to something like this: »www.amazon.com/Portable- ··· DWYD01C/

or some kind of mammoth commercial thing.
Jehu

Jehu

Premium Member

Upon further inspection that shit is absolutely infatuated with the fabric.

I will probably just see about replacing the visor…live and learn as Hiker See Profile said.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve

said by Jehu:

I will probably just see about replacing the visor

Um, how about getting a new sticker, as predicted?

ATTek
Got Sand?
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Glendora, CA

ATTek to Jehu

Premium Member

to Jehu
For my camaro they make precut, color matched decals that cover the idiot sticker. might try seeing if they exist for your car?

Jehu
Premium Member
MA

1 recommendation

Jehu

Premium Member

I researched various methods for removing the "ghost" and upon reflection called the auto detailer down the street who said he should be able to remove it. I'll stop by in the near future and report back!