spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jimgeo68
join:2015-04-02
Pierrefonds, QC

jimgeo68

At wits ends with Bell Canada - help

i would this post to be brief ; but not possible given my problem - but i will try.

long time client of bell - 14 years.
had dsl 7 up to feb 2013
placed on dsl fibe 15 march 2013

never could get speeds past 12mbps - and terrible uploads - .50mpbs.
must have called tech supp every few months, thought they were throttling speed. never improved.

as of dec 2014 - speed got worse, 3 to 5 mbps - then modem would reboot (connection hub) - and after reboot it would not re-connect - it would try to authenticate but would freeze.

call after call to tech support - given the usual drill at level 1 - waste of time.
to day - 7 bell techs have been sent to my home - with each one doing claiming to fix the issue.

several of them stated to me that my home was far the central and that i should not consider fibe tv as i will have problems.

i escalated my complaint to bell's escalation department - that kept a ticket open on my issue for 2 weeks, after the 2 weeks, they told me it does not look good if they keep ticket open too long - and that if my problem comes back - i should call again.

I did stumble upon a partial solution to my connection issues - changing my password - if i call bell tech and ask them to change my password, then it will authenicate and work - i thought of this - because of the 7 techs that came to my home , several had issues putting in my password after doing a hard reset on my modem/router - there was no doubt i knew my password - but for some reason it would sometime hang and not accept it -

i also noticed that on bells website fibe 15 isn't offered at my address, however i've been billed for 2 years as fibe 15 - bells's site offers only fibe 5 and 10 at my location.

i am so upset with bell for wasting my time send 7 techs to my home , when in the end the problem appears to be a speed related one - can the fact that my line was set to 15 - have caused my issues. I've asked bell to lower it to 10 - it's been a few days and no issues.

They are so good at passing the buck.

Anybody any advice tips...

i'm paying $ 55.95 for the fibe 15 - unlimited download (at $ 10) included in price + taxes.....they tell me that fibe 10 will be only $ 1 less - - at $ 54.95 - i think i can get lower price with teksavvy.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Probably should post here.
»Bell Canada

Or post a private help request here:
»Bell Canada Direct
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to jimgeo68

to jimgeo68
Your issues aren't uncommon for CO-fed customers in suburban or rural villages that haven't received FTTN investments. When fibe was release in 2012/2013, the product names were changes to fibe 5, fibe 15/10,fibe 25/10, fibe 50/10, etc. However for customers who were CO fed, like you, like my old house, like tens of thousands of residences across the province, they would never ever qualify for 10 upload, and very few would qualify for 15 download due to the technology and distance limitations. However, Bell's legal team protects them by quantifying with claims of UP TO 15/10. It was a decision to simplify the billing department to eliminate any package between 5 and 15.

Therefore customers like you would previously had 7 or 10, when they made a decision to change their packages they were left with either going to 5/1 for quite a bit cheaper but slower speeds, or 15/1 (and seeing anywhere from 8-18) for faster speeds and still cheaper, but probably not as advertised.

After numerous complaints from us techs on the road, and I'm sure the sales people, the CSRs, or everyone customer facing that has had to explain this to customers (and many of the techs unfortunately don't care enough to educate themselves about it to tell customers or don't bother because our metrics leave very little time now to explain anything), the marketing and billing teams came up with Fibe 10, to be offered only to CO-based customers and for those that qualify for more than 5 but less than 15, aka YOU. If the Bell website is now showing Fibe 10 available, save yourself thr extra buck and downgrade, you will never be able to get 15 from the sounds of it, but thr speeds you got before are consistent with a 10 meg product.

huh_wha
@start.ca

huh_wha to jimgeo68

Anon

to jimgeo68
said by jimgeo68:

Do yourself a favour.
Call one of the independents like Start Communications or Teksavvy.

While the service itself still goes over Bell's decrepit equipment, there's no way the customer service people would let you dangle like that for so long. It's ridiculous.

If you have any other services with Bell, consider moving them too. Less headaches, less money usually.
cablesmurfet
join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet

I agree. We recently switched from Bell to Start Communications for phone and cable internet. for TV we have Shaw Direct. Our problem with Bell was constant price-raising.
Darkshadow24
join:2010-10-10

2 edits

Darkshadow24 to jimgeo68

to jimgeo68
I had the same problem from the word go with bell, i signed up for 15 / 10 fibe, i was getting speed loss, and disconnection none stop. I'm CO feed for internet as well i pitched such a big fit i went threw 14 bell techs and 1 stitch tech, my issue was in the line i had a phone tech come to my house saying i can only get 5mbps because im so far from the CO oh how he was wrong. They needed to change the F1 pairing from the JWI and the F2 pairing from the JWI to the CO, and then i was on a birdge tap, so they had to cut out the bridge tap, plus i had 2 - 3 port changes, im currently on VDSl2+, I also went and changed the quad the first bell tech installed because it got ripped open by a screen door. So after banging my head against the wall for months i got service of 16 / 2, i also just learned that im getting FTTH july 31st. Over all if its a problem with the bell infrastructure then a 3rd party internet supplier isnt the answer because they use the bell portal and rarely do line repairs.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to jimgeo68

Premium Member

to jimgeo68
said by jimgeo68:

never could get speeds past 12mbps - and terrible uploads - .50mpbs.

Fibe 15 was oringinally sold with an upload speed between 0.68Mbps and 10Mbps, this was in the fine print of the package and it caused a lot of issues between Bell and customers as well as technicians and customers.
said by jimgeo68:

several of them stated to me that my home was far the central and that i should not consider fibe tv as i will have problems.

You don't even qualify for Fibe TV based on the packages being offered to you so that's not even something that matters, also if any sales rep ever tries to sell you Fibe TV just ignore it since even if the order goes through the tech will just cancel it either before or when he get's to your house.
said by jimgeo68:

i also noticed that on bells website fibe 15 isn't offered at my address, however i've been billed for 2 years as fibe 15 - bells's site offers only fibe 5 and 10 at my location.

This is a new thing as of June 2014, anyone who could not get more the 1Mbps upload on the Fibe 15 package would not qualify for it and would however have the option for Fibe 10
said by jimgeo68:

i am so upset with bell for wasting my time send 7 techs to my home , when in the end the problem appears to be a speed related one - can the fact that my line was set to 15 - have caused my issues.

You hit the nail on the head, your line was over profiled. All of the techs that got sent out should've seen that and are able to test line to find out if it's a line issue or a distance issue.
JC_

JC_ to huh_wha

Premium Member

to huh_wha
said by huh_wha :

said by jimgeo68:

Do yourself a favour.
Call one of the independents like Start Communications or Teksavvy.

While the service itself still goes over Bell's decrepit equipment, there's no way the customer service people would let you dangle like that for so long. It's ridiculous.

If you have any other services with Bell, consider moving them too. Less headaches, less money usually.

This will not fix the issues that the OP is having and getting a tech out when with an IISP is sometimes harder than it should be.
jimgeo68
Pierrefonds, QC

jimgeo68

wow ,,, thank you all for the feedback

my line was over profiled for the speed - now i've lowered it 10 and it seems more stable - and consistent - and even the uploads are a little fast.

i can't believe that 7 techs didn't catch any of these issues.

i'm paying 54.95 for fibe 10 which includes unlimited downloads - with a dry loop. tek savy is cheaper.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Like I said, unfortunately most techs don't bother to educate themselves about these things...even when emails about them are sent right to the phones.

DSL 10 unlimited with teksavvy seems to be about $49/month + tax with the dryloop fee, however with teksavvy you will need to pay for a new modem and $50 installation fee, so that is something you will need to consider when making the switch. They too also offer a DSL 7 package which could ease some of the additional startup costs.
jimgeo68
Pierrefonds, QC

jimgeo68

well - today 13 april - my bell connection hub just rebooted itself - and of course after it reboots, it will not connect to the internet - until i perform my voodoo magic trick. i need to change the password - (in my login area, under my b1 number) to the WRONG password, click save, then wait 30 seconds, the go back and change it to the correct password, click SAVE and presto my internet connects again - but this isn't normal - placed another call to bell tech support - god only knows what they will do now to my line. help.

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido

R U a type of sado-maso that you do this to yourself?

Why not trying cable internet? All these problems will go away ... At least this happened in my case when I changed technology 3 years ago (from Tek DSL to Tek cable)

Yes, start-up costs are involved ... but then there is peace of mind...
jimgeo68
Pierrefonds, QC

jimgeo68

i may go that route, cause even if i change ISP, if i stick with phone, they all pretty much use the backbone of Bell lines and systems -