join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

Who didn't see this one coming?

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· -30.html

Cloud gaming pioneer OnLive sold to Sony, will cease operations April 30
quote:
Cloud gaming service OnLive said Wednesday that Sony has bought many of its assets, and the company will wind down operations on April 30. (Full disclosure: I began subscribing to OnLive late last year.)
Great idea on paper but reality has finally caught up with them.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Cloud gaming is a pipe dream.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

said by Ghastlyone:

Not really.
Playstation now (ps4 game rental service) works really well in the USA and probably Japan, the problem with that service is the pricing for many of the titles, not the technology. But if I was going to rent a game, and for the same price I could use playstation now to rent it, I'd use it.

They also just patched for 60fps game streams from PS4 to Vita, so essentially the Vita is "cloud gaming" over your home network.

Onlive was not a success at all. Perhaps they didn't have enough financial muscle to build it out and get low latency or more likely their market (PC gamers) looked down their noses at not having their own rig.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by justin:

said by Ghastlyone:

Not really.
Playstation now (ps4 game rental service) works really well in the USA and probably Japan, the problem with that service is the pricing for many of the titles, not the technology. But if I was going to rent a game, and for the same price I could use playstation now to rent it, I'd use it.

They also just patched for 60fps game streams from PS4 to Vita, so essentially the Vita is "cloud gaming" over your home network.

Onlive was not a success at all. Perhaps they didn't have enough financial muscle to build it out and get low latency or more likely their market (PC gamers) looked down their noses at not having their own rig.

Streaming older, less graphically intensive games might work. But when people like Microsoft are claiming you'll be able to net modern day PC equivalent graphics and physics off a console running a mid range APU because of "cloud"...that's a pipe dream.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

Again I have to disagree.

The streaming tech and controller feed is just video and some data going back. The game can be as sophisticated as it needs to be, unless you want 4K, you can play a stream of a full 1080p PC game and the data rate is exactly the same as the playstation now service streaming last of us remastered or whatever. The game itself is irrelevant.

You don't need a powerful gpu to display high definition video. The game isn't running on your display device, it is running in the cloud. Your uber internet connection carries down nearly uncompressed video and 5.1 audio, and sends back the controller input.

What microsoft is also claiming and I think this is somewhat unlikely any time soon, is that the cloud will do computations that your PC or console cannot. Custom building destruction for example

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

What was the bandwidth usage on something like that? With gigabit starting to come out in this country, maybe it's closer than ever to being viable. I just wonder what kind of input lag there would be. On a local LAN there's nothing, but I get 30-80ms to BF4 servers.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

It isn't anything like a gigabit. You can stream high quality 1080p at 10mbits. On a big TV it is apparently pretty indistinguishable from the game. As in, someone walks in the room and can't tell it is in the cloud.

You can also share games peer to peer which is the same tech really. Before that is unlocked a bandwidth and latency test runs and you fail if your upload is less than 4, but really you need 8 megabit+ for perfect sharing with someone else in the same city.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

I share out a lot of video via Plex to my friends and family. They all have to buffer to keep 1080p viable. Netflix does the same thing. It's like back in the 90's where the CD would store itself into memory to prevent anti-skip tech. Buffering does the same for streaming video. With game streaming, there is no such thing. Latency has to be fantastic in order for it to work.

Or, some weak games need to be part of the list. You couldn't play BF4 or other twitch-FPS shooters on this. The issue is that this company advertised itself as a rendering farm for these types of games, so they would have to be high-end games as well.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

The reason netflix and so on buffers is they don't have to worry about latency.

The latency between a cloud data centre and a house might be 10ms end to end. That is 1/100th of a second. You can quadruple that latency and still be 2 frames behind a game running at 60fps. They build the streaming and control to be as low latency as possible and sony can do that because they are in control of everything at both ends. I don't know where they are with it because my broadband connection is feeble but I think people can play BF4 without missing. They won't win, but it isn't drunken.

Given a choice I'd rather play twitch shooters locally of course.
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n to Cthen

to Cthen
They just need to tie in popular MMOs into cloud gaming and you'd have a non-download or update needed MMO that just need a good internet.

Of course it doesn't help that North America doesn't particularly have great infrastructures to the people using it.

At best is to create regional MMO servers like East coast and West coast, using data centers in between to help pass along data faster.

It can't be action intensive MMO as the visual delays for slower connections will become a problem, but strategy based and turn based MMOs would thrive the best.
Mister_E
join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

FWIW, nVidia's Grid is decent...could use some newer games and there's been some hiccups, but it's coming along.

»shield.nvidia.com/grid-g ··· treaming