spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Firefox uses up RAM, Slows, Freezes, black blank screen, Crashes

When I start up Firefox 37 it will run fine for a few minutes. Then it will start to slow down. Then my computer will slow somewhat down as well. Then web pages will not load all the way. Then web pages started load up as a black blank screen while load up. Then Foxfire will crash. Then my computer will go back to running at it's normal speed again it should be running at. I have 16 gigabytes of RAM, Windows 8.1, and an AMD FX-8120 processor. right after the slow down begins my computer will run task manager Firefox is using 100% of RAM is only using CPU 0 maxing it completely out. I never had this problem until I upgraded Firefox from version 36 to version 37. What's going on here??? I'm having to use Internet Explorer 11 witch by the way work just fine all the time with out causing any problems.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Give this a shot: »support.mozilla.org/en-U ··· afe-mode
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Seems to be working a bit better now. Now it's only using 50% of CPU 0 and using between 480 to 600 megabytes of RAM.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Sounds like a glitch in the new version. You could go back to the older version.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
That may be better, but it certainly isn't normal. I would guess you have an issue between the new version and one of your installed plugins. Try walking through the process to start up either in safe mode or with all plugins disabled, and see if it still uses such high resources.

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

jap to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

I never had this problem until I upgraded Firefox from version 36 to version 37. What's going on here???

Graphics processing conflict with ver.37.0. It's discussed over here
»[Firefox] Firefox 37.0 Final
with some links to Mozilla pages. Or if feeling impatient do what Racerbob did and install the 37.1 release candidate.

..... ChaChing! While I type Frodo posts he's getting 37.1 by invoking an update check from within Firefox. Not yet working from where I am but there you have it. Your problem will likely be resolved when you're able to install 37.1. Mozilla limits update access to save their servers, of course. G'luck!

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
yup........you could revert to 35.0.1
install the »addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· estorer/
and pretty much fix the whole thing...........til' mozilla gets there act together
check this thread.......
»FF 36 Issue

jus sayin'
floydb1982
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to Camelot One

to Camelot One
I haven't installed any plugins into Firefox.

Gemstone
Premium Member
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

Gemstone to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
I have Firefox 37.0.1 and having the same types of problems. Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, 4Gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics Display adapter (HP ProBook 4540s Laptop). Any suggestions?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

There are a couple in this thread already, have you tried them all?
mr nobody
join:2004-12-02

1 edit

mr nobody to floydb1982

to floydb1982
I've noticed after updating to 37 version. it crashes up on exit. so when I goto close it, the browser window goes away but is still running in the background in task manager and then in a sort time frame. I get the firefox reporting tool popping up. I report it every time just because I can. and btw it is using up alot more system ram if I really keep it open for a long time. like floydb1982 says.

I am using 37.0.1 version

One thing to try and it's the first thing you should try is turning this off.

try going into tools, options, general,

Look for use hardware acceleration when available.

UNCHECK that
floydb1982
Kent, WA

1 edit

floydb1982

I got rid of Firefox and am using IE11 Desktop and IE11 Metro. IE11 is hardly using the CPU and RAM at all. My CPU Fan is no longer spinning at warp speed anymore. If your telling me that disabling hardware acceleration will solve the problems I was having then I'll get back Firefox and give that a try.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
I tried them then pulled all the hair off my body then simply got rid of Firefire and am using IE11 Desktop and IE11 Metro. IE11 is hardly using the CPU and RAM at all. My CPU Fan is no longer spinning at warp speed anymore.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Try Palemoon

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member