Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [WIN10] Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Details

Now THAT's what I call convoluted !

(Glad that my newest Windows is older than 7 - except for a rarely used netbook, which has 7 Starter Edition on it.)
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

5 recommendations

67845017 (banned)

Or you could be like me. I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro to 8 Pro. I upgraded my 8 to 8.1. I will upgrade my 8.1 to 10.

See, I even saved electrons typing this. However, I'm clearly missing out on the joy of being miserable.

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

5 recommendations

NoOneCares to Mele20

to Mele20
Glad I don't have such problems. I'll just upgrade my software and go from there. Not going to worry about the "what ifs". If they happen, they happen. Got better things to worry about.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to Davesnothere

MVM

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by Octavean:

....One also has to wonder if Microsoft will have some initial discount pricing for Windows 10 for early buyers.

If it's ~$30, ~$40 or ~$50 for a license I might want to buy a few before sacrificing a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 license.

You mean that a free Win 10 license will nuke the old OS's one ?

What if we later wiped the PC and tried to reinstall the prior OS ?

Will the old keycode magically become invalid ?

It would take one mother of all databases to track such an endeavour !

And we won't know until someone is able to try rolling back.

Well I have no idea as to how Microsoft will actually implement such an upgrade option but since it is presumably an upgrade license I don't think you can go too far amiss by assuming it will invalidate the Windows license you are upgrading from. Naturally I wouldn't consider that written in stone at this point though.

Edit:
said by 67845017:

Or you could be like me. I upgraded my Windows 7 Pro to 8 Pro. I upgraded my 8 to 8.1. I will upgrade my 8.1 to 10.

See, I even saved electrons typing this. However, I'm clearly missing out on the joy of being miserable.

As an example,..

I have an Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 based tablet PC that shipped with OEM Windows 7 Home premium. I upgraded it to a Windows 8 Pro license and eventually to Windows 8.1 Update 1. Since there is a restore disc with a Windows 7 Home Premium install image which uses an OEM key that differs from the COA key on the tablet I should technically be able to restore the system with Windows 7 image and get a free Windows 10 key. Then restore the Windows 8.1U1 install and get another free Windows 10 key.

or if Microsoft accepts just the COA key for a qualifying OS in order to issue a Windows 10 license it would be the same number of keys,...

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

[WIN10] MS Email: What is the Windows 10 free upgrade offer?

Click for full size
WINDOWS 7
Click for full size
WINDOWS 8

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

Michail to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing

I rather like having the Microsoft account. All my devices (PC, tablet, phone) all stay synced up with settings and files. Soon more apps will be as well as they become universal.

There are the security concerns with the cloud and all but it's the new world we live in. These days I trust Microsoft with privacy more than google.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Michail:

I rather like having the Microsoft account.

For those with more than one iOS device and/or users of iCloud this is all old hat.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

Michail

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

said by Michail:

I rather like having the Microsoft account.

For those with more than one iOS device and/or users of iCloud this is all old hat.

I'm rather excited by the direction the new Microsoft is taking. OneDrive, Office 365, Office Online, SharePoint and Exchange in the cloud, Windows Phone, Cortana, xbox, universal apps, the visual studio code IDE, cross platform services, continuum, insider program, ability to compile iOS and android, etc. etc.

But all this will be lost on those stuck on XP.

Out of the big ones Microsoft has become the most open and cross platform technology company. They support android while google does everything in their power to block and lock out their services.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Michail:

while google does everything in their power to block and lock out their services.

Not in my experience. I use all kinds of Google stuff on my iOS devices. Have been for several years now.

Here2Helpp
@charter.com

Here2Helpp to Michail

Anon

to Michail
said by Michail:

But all this will be lost on those stuck on XP.

No one is stuck on XP. They are using XP by CHOICE

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Not in my experience. I use all kinds of Google stuff on my iOS devices. Have been for several years now.

Google has actively been blocking services specifically to Microsoft's products. Many theorize to as an anti competitive move against MS. Google stayed open to iOS because of market share and the large amount of data collection they get from it. Apple has actually switched to MS services for a few things due to google's heavy handedness.
Michail

Michail to Here2Helpp

Premium Member

to Here2Helpp
said by Here2Helpp :

No one is stuck on XP. They are using XP by CHOICE

I was meaning mentally stuck, which is kind of by choice. But those are the people that don't get or understand the new age of technology. But they don't need to drink the Kool-Aid either
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Michail:

I was meaning mentally stuck, which is kind of by choice. But those are the people that don't get or understand the new age of technology.

I have a computer running Windows 8.0 Pro. I bought it in late November 2012. I understand the technology but even on Windows 8 I avoid ALL CLOUD CRAP. I use NONE of the awful Metro apps. I am doing the insider Windows 10 preview and if Windows 10 uses torrents only for fetching security patches and/or we cannot shut off automatic Windows updates in the final release product then I won't upgrade and my current computer will probably be my last computer. The internet is getting boring anyway ....without this site I would have long ago stopped using the internet. The only other thing interesting is tweaking and that gets locked down more and more with each new version of Windows. I don't use a Microsoft account for Windows and never will and Win 10 latest version was really scolding me about that. I am not about to sell my soul just to use Windows or the internet which WAS fun and exciting but these days...is boring and I sit way too much. The only thing I like about the internet these days besides this site and tweaking is TWCTV and maybe CBS access to their entire library going all the way back to their beginning for $6 a month and I may subscribe this summer during the hiatus of regular programming and pig out on old Star Treks, the original Hawaii 5'0, etc. and watching TV I don't sit like I do using the internet.

It's getting harder to tweak as Microsoft locks down each newer version of Windows more than the past version and without Gecko based browsers still around there would be very little tweaking of browsers. Might as well get an Apple computer and be a dumb, dumb user. Linux would let me tweak but it takes away too many beloved programs. I see a bleak future for Windows power users. XP was the last great OS.

I have a cell phone but not a smart one as I refuse to sell my soul and I don't see the need anyway for a cell phone to access the internet. I stopped using Office as I don't want crap junk in the cloud and certainly not something like Office. I have a very fast, very powerful desktop computer. I have no interest and no need for computer usage away from my home. That doesn't mean though that I am ignorant just as it doesn't mean XP users are ignorant. We all make choices and I choose to use a wired only connection on desktops at home and I choose to do everything I can to keep as much privacy as possible. In my mind that makes me the smart, knowledgeable person and the user of all the cloud junk and smartphones, etc the dumb one.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

said by Mele20:

In my mind that makes me the smart, knowledgeable person and the user of all the cloud junk and smartphones, etc the dumb one.

Yes, of course.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

In my mind that makes me the smart, knowledgeable person and the user of all the cloud junk and smartphones, etc the dumb one.

Wow, you wouldn't make it long it today's real business world.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
I wasn't trying to infer these are stupid people. It's just many people get stuck technology wise. It has little to do with intelligence.

When I started my career as a software engineer I noticed some of my older colleges could not get out of the mainframe mindset. Then there were those that could not give up on DOS and hated GUI operating systems. I saw people fight against making apps for the web. Every time there is a shift I've seen people get left behind. I told myself I'd never let that happen to me.

Now we have moved into an era of constantly connected portability with power that can be docked to a full workstation, universal access to data and apps on all devices, touch and much more all while not needed to be a computer expert to use or configure any of it. I will not create new business applications that can't run on every modern device.

There are good reasons to fear the cloud. But there are also reasons to fear getting in a car and driving. Keep your password complex, don't reuse it on other sites and link a cell phone to the account for authorization confirmations.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

I don't think I said or implied that you did. Although I think many of them are.

I love technology. I use the latest greatest thing whenever I can get a hold of it. Name a piece of modern technology and software and I've mostly got it (exception being smartwatches--too big and ugly for my tastes for now). No problems with the cloud, Win 8, 10, etc. I love it all. If it doesn't work for me, I move on, but I'll give any technology a shot.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

2 recommendations

chachazz to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
quote:
Windows 10 is not a free upgrade, Microsoft said last week. It's a "marketing and promotional activity."
»www.computerworld.com/ar ··· ing.html

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

Michail

Premium Member

Purely speculation but I don't know if they'll charge after one year or not. Their goal is to get as many people to switch as possible. MS is using this as a platform to sell their services, get them off legacy systems and using the new app store. They want the past behind them.

If Windows 10 is a huge success we may see some modest fees. Perhaps a Win 10 key with an Office 365 subscription or 1000 Bing points? All a guess though as those accounting issues do come into play.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Details

That's a really bad way to quote that article and it will only muddy the waters on this forum because most people won't bother to click the link and read the article; instead, they'll just start posting that read on this site that it's not a free upgrade.

Better quote:

"This offer differs from historical offers preceding the launch of new versions of Windows as it is being made available for free to existing users in addition to new customers after the offer announcement," Microsoft said. "We evaluated the nature and accounting treatment of the Windows 10 offer and determined that it represents a marketing and promotional activity, in part because the offer is being made available for free to existing users [emphasis added]."

This is purely an accounting maneuver, nothing more. There will not be a charge to end users during the 1-year grace period.

edit: buggy forum software alert. you so don't want to know what justin is up to now

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Did you notice that tje ENTERPRISE version is EXEMPT from the offer? Microsoft is creating shit Windows 10 for consumers and decent REAL Windows 10 for Enterprise users it looks like. Plus, what about Pro version vs plain Windows? Why would a Pro version user want to upgrade to what essentially will be a PLAIN version of Windows? I paid for Pro version of Windows 8. Any upgrade should be to the same version I paid for PRO or higher. I'd probably take a free upgrade to Enterprise version. I don't want the plain crap consumer version. Microsoft will make legitimate money off the Enterprise version but will have to make money in a shady way (killing any remnants left of privacy to do so) off the consumer "free" version.

Do you even know how Microsoft Volume Licensing works?

The Enterprise edition is exempt for the free update because it is ONLY available to those who have a Microsoft Volume License Agreement, and if you have that it comes with Software Assurance so you can upgrade all of your workstations. Businesses with Volume License Agreements can also install the Professional version.

Also, Windows 10 Editions aren't known yet, but I am pretty sure there is going to be a Home and Pro version alongside the Enterprise edition, so don't worry about your upgrade.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
It looks like upgrades for Insiders will be free too. »www.windowscentral.com/w ··· rtm-free

Guess that means you can join the Insiders and do a clean install from scratch?

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

1 edit

Gone Fishing

Premium Member

Windows Insiders will still need a valid Windows 8 license

Windows 10 RTM upgrade:
"...In other words, you still need a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8 license in order to use Windows 10..."
»www.winbeta.org/news/win ··· -license
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

But Windows Insiders are the ones that will continue doing the betas and those will always be free, right? So you could continue with Win 7 or 8 on your host machine and the Win 10 betas on the guest (Hyper-V, VMWare Workstation, Virtual Box, etc) right?

AnotherName3
@charter.com

AnotherName3

Anon

said by Mele20:

But Windows Insiders are the ones that will continue doing the betas and those will always be free, right? So you could continue with Win 7 or 8 on your host machine and the Win 10 betas on the guest (Hyper-V, VMWare Workstation, Virtual Box, etc) right?

The Windows 10 betas has expiration dates the current one 10074 expires Oct 1st.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

But I am not talking about the current beta build. I recall Microsoft saying we will be testing betas ad infinitum since we are now Microsoft's quality control.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to Gone Fishing

Premium Member

to Gone Fishing
said by Gone Fishing:

Windows 10 RTM upgrade:
"...In other words, you still need a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8 license in order to use Windows 10..."
»www.winbeta.org/news/win ··· -license

So Gabriel misspoke. As that's no different than the prior announcement and you don't need a key for the TP.
Shinrin
join:2013-02-28
Gadsden, AL

Shinrin to Gone Fishing

to Gone Fishing

It seems most sites are thinking windows is going with a subscritpion model, due to the words "Windows as a service" Gabe was asked about this in a tweet, and he said that "Windows as a service" Means that they will keep updating windows 10, no cash involved.

Michail
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

I doubt that, at least any time in the near future. MS is trying to redefine themselves and getting as many people on the new platform as possible. The platform is what delivers the services.

Though that is just as much speculation as the subscription model theories. But that's mostly propagated by people getting prematurely angry about something speculative.
Expand your moderator at work