spc
Search similar:

uniqs
broadband412
join:2003-06-17
Brooklyn, NY

broadband412

[iO] On Demand Content Dilivery

Hi, how does cablevision/optimum deliver it's on demand content through the STB. Is the on demand content streamed via Internet or is it delivered in the same manner that regular channels are delivered. I ask this because when I had trouble with my Internet, I was not able to view on demand content. Thanks.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL

The OnDemand content is delivered to the STB the same way as normal channels. It does not travel over the Internet. I do think however that is handled as an Internet Type streaming that is carried on the CV internal network (the same way as the Internet support works except that both ends of the session are on the CV network as opposed to one end being terminated at a Gateway Router).
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to broadband412

to broadband412
It's strictly internal - the box does not go to the public internet. But if a problem with communication for your specific node is present, you will exhibit problems with VOD too. This could be something such as transmit issues, issues with specific downstream frequencies that VOD uses, or an issue impacting 639 MHz which your box uses to receive its normal downstream communication.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to broadband412

Premium Member

to broadband412
on older SA boxes, its delivered clear QAM MPEG-2 and if you know the specific digital channel numbers, you can find what you are watching on demand on a clear QAM tv and even find other users who are doing the same, but its only one the same HFC node you are on.

andrewc2
join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

1 edit

andrewc2

Hmm we've got SA boxes still, would a channel scan find the channel while on demand is running?

Edit: Hmm couldn't find it. Oh well, it might be on one of the channels I have disabled.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

play an on demand movie and then do a new channel scan, not a re-scan or refresh.
generally, the main on demand channel when its not being used sits idle with no audio and no video sync so most tv's that find it skip over it during scan.
what brand and model tv do you have ?
i could give you channel number pointers but all tv's list the dynamic QAM channels differently.

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Ah okay I just did a re-scan that makes sense then why it didn't find it.

i've got a Vizio, but I've put to much effort into nicely labeling my QAM, to do a full new scan on that one. However I do have A Silicondust HD HomeRun Dual, which I can use to test this.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by andrewc2:

...I do have A Silicondust HD HomeRun Dual, which I can use to test this.

those will work much better receiving the on demand channels than a tv will.
you may also receive the 480p games and any other "interactive" content that is being used as well.
if that device decodes MPEG-4 streams, then its even better.
there is only a couple problems with watching someone else's on demand, it can rewind and fast forward at any time and if it is paused/stopped longer than a few seconds, the current assigned QAM channel may change to a different one which means you'll have to find it again.
the other problem, there is a one in a hundred chance you will be able to watch something from the beginning if you store the channels and check them quickly long enough.

andrewc2
Matamoras, PA

andrewc2

Very interesting, I'm gonna give it a go, doing a full exhaustive scan. Will see what I find.
broadband412
join:2003-06-17
Brooklyn, NY

broadband412 to RARPSL

to RARPSL
Thanks.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to andrewc2

Premium Member

to andrewc2
said by andrewc2:

Very interesting, I'm gonna give it a go, doing a full exhaustive scan. Will see what I find.

you may find nothing if everyone on your HFC node has the samsung boxes since they use MPEG4 for on demand and you wont receive it if your tuner does not decode MPEG4 encapsulated streams or if only a few SA users exist on your node that are not actively using on demand at all.
a few years ago when all that was available was the SA boxes, the active on demand content found through a clear QAM search (MPEG2) was alot and interesting to say the least.
these days, on my node, i hardly get anything, indicating many users have probably changed cable boxes from SA to samsung probably for the MRDVR function, dont have tv or dont use on demand, i would think cablevision encourages customers who want MRDVR to replace their SA boxes with the samsung boxes, for obvious reasons.