spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

[Landscaping] Zero Turn mower decision...

I have just less than 1/2 acre. A Self-Propelled mower could cut it but that would take over an hour, plus any trimming. I'd rather do it faster.
Since most of the yard is flat (slope to street can be a cordless mower or trimmer), I thought about a rider. Friends said get zero-turn vs tractor.
I figure:
-no more than 42" width (to fit in shed that is 50" wide door)
-has towing (for trailer/compost/firewood hauling)

Narrowed down to a Craftsman, Toro Time saver or Ariens Zoom.
(priced in that order from lowest to highest).

Anyone with familiarity on those Zero Turns?

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Find out who actually makes the Craftsman. Then look at reviews for that model/manufacturer. Many manufactures make their equipment, including Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, and MTD. I'm not sure who makes their zero turn models. And keep in mind that while someone else makes it, they are usually changed slightly in some ways. The Toro and Ariens are both top notch equipment.

Hiker
Zeus
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Pipersville

Hiker to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
That's a pretty small piece of property for a ride on. I do 1.5 acres with a 48" in under an hour. You should be able to do 1/2 acre with a 30" - 33" self propelled in 1/2 hr, I would think.

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· ie=UTF-8

»www.mowersdirect.com/Cub ··· vETw_wcB

cableties
Premium Member

cableties to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
American Yard Machines makes the Craftsman. I've solicited some others and now I am told to get a bigger walk behind or pay a service. I'm leaning on the least expensive vs time saver.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by cableties:

or pay a service

Have you gotten any quotes for that ? You might be surprised at the rates...

cableties
Premium Member

cableties to Hiker

Premium Member

to Hiker
Yeah, I saw that Club Cadet. Much cheaper than 0-turn. (I bought a house in NJ btw...) but not enough experience on use. I was thinking about future... Maybe get a Honda 22" self-propelled, and see how it goes. If I need a rider with hitch (for mulch, stone, firewood...) I can do that later...
cableties

cableties to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
No calls yet. But if its more than $50/cut... I see your point!
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

3 recommendations

Hellrazor to cableties

to cableties
My 2 cents -

Friends don't let friends buy craftsman mowers or other power equipment. No service & slow parts = no sale

Buy from a servicing dealer unless you aren't afraid to get dirty.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to cableties

MVM

to cableties
It will be unless you get some neighborhood kid to do it. I suspect -- and this isn't a criticism of lawn-care companies -- that they have a minimum charge and it will be above $50/cut. As the area gets larger and larger, then they do go by a 'per square yard' rate.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned) to cableties

to cableties
I prefer a wide area mower myself. I'd suggest a Cub Cadet CC 760 ES personally.
»www.cubcadet.com/equipme ··· c-760-es

You can get a slightly bigger wide area that will allow you to use a sulky as well.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
I'd go for the 30" cut Toro Time Master self-propelled. I can cut my .35 acre lot with my 21" Toro Super Recycler in a little over an hour. If I decide to bag instead of mulch add another fifteen minutes or so.

For a grand you'd be set...

I had a 50" deck when had a .60 acre lot at the old place. Looking back, it was overkill.

Hiker
Zeus
Premium Member
Pipersville

1 edit

Hiker to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

It'll be $50 a cut or more, I suspect and you'll need 30-40 cuts. I put 40 hrs/yr on my tractor. Welcome to NJ, it's not 1/2 as bad as some people say.

cableties
Premium Member

cableties

Premium Member

I should have said, moving BACK to NJ. No, its not as bad as they say. Taxes higher but QOL is better for me (3 miles to work vs 24mile 1.5hr commute that I had). And Yuengling is cheaper here by the case than in PA (where its brewed!)
I may go with the CC760ES. Thanks!

Hiker
Zeus
Premium Member
Pipersville

Hiker

Premium Member

Whoa, 3 miles to work alone will save you a bundle. Long commutes are expensive...
Expand your moderator at work
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to cableties

to cableties

Re: [Landscaping] Zero Turn mower decision...

I'm with Lon, less than a half-acre? Do you have any trees? I doubt a rider is going to save you any time at all, unless you have a perfect circle with no trees, shrubs, or buildings/obstructions of any kind.

I have a 36" Hustler Mini Fastrak and about 6 heavily treed & landscaped/gardened acres. Unless you don't care about trimming there will always be string trimming and/or push mowing to do anyway...
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to Hellrazor

to Hellrazor
said by Hellrazor:

My 2 cents -

Friends don't let friends buy craftsman mowers or other power equipment. No service & slow parts = no sale

Buy from a servicing dealer unless you aren't afraid to get dirty.

um what? 90% of craftsman stuff is made by mtd and they make cub cadet as well. how do i know, half of the cubet cadet parts fit mtd tractors.

my last 800 dollar craftman mower lasted 15 years. my current one broke a cable and i had the part to my door in 3 days.

lets take it easy on how horrible craftsmen is. i watched my neighbor blow up a ariens 3 days after he bought it, so it doesn't mean crap
eagleknight
join:2002-11-08
Troy, OH

eagleknight to cableties

to cableties
I am going to be partial to Toro. I have a Toro Z4235. No issues with it after 4 years or so now. I got it with the Kawasaki engine. Plenty of power. I pull around a trailer with firewood and yesterday I rolled my lawn. Cuts nice and even.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned)

Wouldn't know how the service department is, because I fix things myself. My craftsman (which I found sitting out for the trash 15 years ago) is running like a top with only two repairs over the 15 years I've owned it.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor

Not everyone has the ability to fix things themselves. We turned into a throw away society with mediocre repair skills.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
Things built now are not the same as they were 15 years ago...

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

1 recommendation

dennismurphy to Hiker

Premium Member

to Hiker

said by Hiker:

said by cableties:

It'll be $50 a cut or more, I suspect and you'll need 30-40 cuts. I put 40 hrs/yr on my tractor. Welcome to NJ, it's not 1/2 as bad as some people say.

Don't be so sure. I pay $30/cut and I'm on just over 1/3 acre. Competition is fierce.

Dell User
Premium Member
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT

Dell User to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
Just a consideration...Make sure you check the actual width of which ever model you choose. The discharge chute will add some to the 42inch blade housing.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
Have you considered a Swedish Rider? It's my personal favorite..

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· dk9MsVhA

cableties
Premium Member

cableties to Dell User

Premium Member

to Dell User
I have 54" clearance from edge of doors so first this I check is width with chute up or down.
cableties

cableties to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I wanted the AWD one but then when I saw $$$$, um... I decided: maybe a walkbehind first. If that isn't what I need, I can always sell it (before warranty is up) and get rider (likely zero turn). Right now, I am trying to find info on deer-resistant privacy shrubs!

Dell User
Premium Member
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT

Dell User to cableties

Premium Member

to cableties
said by cableties:

I have 54" clearance from edge of doors so first this I check is width with chute up or down.

You should be ok with that. The Toro I have sticks out about 10" with the chute down. I have to pull it up to get thru my doors.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 recommendation

Pacrat to cableties

MVM

to cableties
I would seriously consider the Toro 30" Timesaver for a smallish lot.