boaterbob
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

boaterbob to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA

Re: [Plumbing] replace water heater ...where to go

I also ended up removing the anode rod from my WH to get rid of the well water Hydrogen Sulfide (Rotten Egg) smell. I read all the info on the WH site mentioned above and there is a lot of good info at that site, but I ended up removing the anode - now smell free for the last 2 years. What a chore to get the nut loose on the top of the WH - finally took a large pipe wrench with a 4' long pipe on the wrench and 2 people - one holding the WH from turning and the other to work the wrench - still not easy, but finally had success.

otherz
@comcast.net

otherz to Jim_in_VA

Anon

to Jim_in_VA
other threads here discuss the advantages of the superinsulated tank water heaters.

general info:

many installs now are done with the flex pipes for the input and output. that's quicker and easier and simpler than the soldered copper pipes, and allows the tank to be moved a little for cleaning under etc, but the several threaded connections are possible sources of leaks.

some installs are done with the "sharkbite" or similar slide-on connectors, but double check any of them before allowing use on the output, since most are NOT rated for HOT water connections, because of the plastic in the connectors.

the tankless instant heaters do use lots of electricity, but only for the time of the demand. for those most recommend 2-3' of soldered copper pipe on both the input and output, because of the extreme heat there at the heater.

The main disadvantage is that because they need very high amperage, they either have to have very large expensive long wiring to them or be mounted close to the breaker panel.
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy:

Literally just saw an ad on TV for Menards 50 gallon $487 and tank-less $487 so there are some that are the same price.

They must be an apples to oranges comparison then.

Menards.com

The cheapest things available

40 g electric $248 53g first hour
50 g electric $309 67g first hour

elec 18kw tankless is $499 and does only 1.37g at 90 degrees and 2.46g at 50 degrees.
elec 27kw tankless is $648 and does only 2.05g at 90 degrees and 3.69g at 50 degrees.
elec 36kw tankless is $749 and does only 2.7g at 90 degrees and 4.9g at 50 degrees.