spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sigmund19
join:2009-09-28
Columbia, MO

sigmund19

Google Chrome Showing Significantly Slower Speeds than Firefox

I am on the 1 gpbs service. Found out today that whatever Google Chrome is doing with the speed tests are not working correctly - Consistently getting 300 mbps down and 50 mbps up in Chrome. When using Firefox on the same test sites I get more like 700 mbps down and 900 mbps up.

The DSLReports html 5 speed test works well and consistently (shows speeds in the 700 down 800 up range) on all browsers (including Chrome).

Maybe an indication of a flash problem? Who knows, but just wanted to let everyone know to try your speed tests in Firefox too.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn

FYI...I get the fastest speed tests using EI

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to sigmund19

MVM

to sigmund19
What speed test sites are you using? Many cannot handle gb speed. Since the one here gives you the same speeds on all browser, it is not browser related.

Try this one: »www.speedtest.net/
sigmund19
Columbia, MO

sigmund19

Speedtest.net and Centurylink's speed test site: »internethelp.centurylink ··· est.html both give bad results in Google Chrome, but work perfectly in Firefox

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to sigmund19

to sigmund19
Disable extensions.

What is your cpu % utilisation when running the speed test on chrome? As it seems off.
Randy G
join:2015-04-03
Minneapolis, MN

Randy G

I'm on Gig and just ran that test on speedtest.net using IE and then Chrome, same server in town here, identical results. I don't think it is browser related, I think it has to do with the sites not being able to handle gigabit like Irish Shark said. If I test on comcast.net or centurylink.com my speeds are as advertised and I can get higher speeds by choosing different servers on speedtest.net.
sigmund19
Columbia, MO

sigmund19

Click for full size
Chrome Test

Chrome Test CPU
Click for full size
Firefox Test

Firefox CPU
Click for full size
Chome DSLReprots Test

Chrome DSLReports Test CPU
Chrome Extensions disabled.
Randy G
Minneapolis, MN

Randy G

Click for full size
Not sure why your is slower than mine, I'm using Chrome with extensions enabled.
Randy G

Randy G

Click for full size
Not sure why, but my speeds are better on the Comcast test, although my latency is lower.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

said by Randy G:

Not sure why, but my speeds are better on the Comcast test, although my latency is lower.

The comcast test I think runs for a longer time to get more of a true measure of the speed instead of bursts.

I agree, something is wrong if Chrome shows a different speed to another browser.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to Randy G

MVM

to Randy G
Randy, use the new speed test here with all your browsers. Let's see if they they are all about the same.
Randy G
Minneapolis, MN

Randy G

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
These tests pictures from Centurylink are in order from the top Chrome, IE, Firefox.

DSLReports Speedtest:

Chrome: »[Fiber Speed test: 508.13/198.00 19 ms]

IE: »[Fiber Speed test: 452.39/331.19 45 ms]

Firefox: »[Fiber Speed test: 501.59/249.15 18 ms]

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Well, like as I said many times before. Run 100 speed tests and you will get 100 different answers. Which one is right?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

1 edit

justin to Randy G

Mod

to Randy G
There is no reason the test server side of the html5 test here can't fully fill 1gig up and 1gig down (and it does, regularly) however on the browser side there are still some traps especially on windows where you need to split download into many simultaneous streams.

Randy G is in Minnesota and for the site speed test, he is far from every POP unlike the 4ms flash test servers in the screen shots. The nearest test servers geographically are Chicago, and it has the lowest ping of 19ms, but for whatever reason Centurylink is getting squat from there.

Every other city is 30 to 45ms away. With windows you can't get much per stream from a server that far away. You might get 25 mbit but 1000 divided by 25 mbit is 40 parallel downloads.

With OSX however, a single stream goes much faster. Sigmund19 pulled 104 mbit from just ONE stream from Denver, which is 22ms away.

TL;DR - to get a gigabit result on windows you need to be close (sub 20ms) to at least one POP, and you need lots of parallel downloads. The closer you are, the fewer streams you need.

Upload is much easier to fill.
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to sigmund19

to sigmund19
Chrome doesn't usually do GPU acceleration by default. I had the same problem on my PC desktop on my 150Mbps connection until I changed that setting

»www.webupd8.org/2014/01/ ··· html?m=1